Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
1,799 Posts
Anyone in
United States receive over air updates yet, or heard of dates yet. Other than just Summer of 2022?
You still haven’t got the OTA yet? You should head straight to your local dealer and see why not.

*just joking- don’t do that. Instead, use the search function in this forum for OTA and get all the detailed guesses you can handle.
In short, no OTA as of yet for anyone in the US. But #soon. 😉

·
1,495 Posts
You still haven’t got the OTA yet? You should head straight to your local dealer and see why not.

*just joking- don’t do that. Instead, use the search function in this forum for OTA and get all the detailed guesses you can handle.
In short, no OTA as of yet for anyone in the US. But #soon Soon™. 😉
FTFY.

·
90 Posts
n short, no OTA as of yet for anyone in the US. But #soon Soon™
FTFY.
The software in the North American ID4 is a minimum viable product. It just plain sucks horribly .Unfortunately the members around these parts will reinforce their confirmation biases and swear that everything on the ID4 is just peachy. Perhaps a few OTA updates will make it suck less? If the the former Car-net and the current MyVw app are any indication of future update quality, I wouldn't set my expectations too high, nor my timeframe too Soon™.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,640 Posts
The software in the North American ID4 is a minimum viable product. It just plain sucks horribly .Unfortunately the members around these parts will reinforce their confirmation biases and swear that everything on the ID4 is just peachy. Perhaps a few OTA updates will make it suck less?

I don't know why that has to be said as an attack against those of us who like our IDs -- but I agree with you, I think 2.1 clears the low hurdle but VW nicked it with their left butt cheek on the way over. So no argument, that qualifies 100% as a minimum viable product. Key word: "viable." I don't regard it as horrible though. Or suck. I wouldn't be stupid enough to have dropped 40-whatever K on something I thought was horrible and sucky. Personally speaking, I felt I did a pretty thorough checkout of the software based on all the negatives I read here and watched in online reviews, and more importantly I shared all those critiques with my wife to make sure she knew exactly what the complaints were, so she could judge if they were valid, because I didn't want to have her up in my ear if we bought it and she decided to hate it.

And frankly it's kind of ridiculous that many posters here take that tact, as if somehow the software got WORSE after purchase, or that they bought a car sucked horribly from the start somehow expecting OTAs to make it acceptable. That, frankly, would be crazy.

I'm content with the software 2.1 and if the ID.4 lived with that version for the rest of its existence I would be disappointed in VW, but I'd remain happy with the car I bought.

What do I expect with the OTA? Quash the bugs, mainly, but they're so minor they don't register. Fix Scheduled Charging (that's the butt cheek comment). Plug n Charge, but I'm not terribly excited about it. Work out some of the battery heating / preheating profiles, again not terribly excited about it. Fix the charging stops on Nav, but honestly I don't use VW nav so it would need to turn into something super-compelling for me to take notice. Better mileage predictions on the GOM, but the car is going to drive what it drives. If MyVW's missing features are somehow tied to an OTA, then great, bring it on -- but the app itself isn't the OTA.

Anyhow let's say these OTAs finally kick in like I think they will after 3.1 is installed in our cars. Let's say they roll out exactly every 12 weeks, like they "promised." Know what? It's gonna be the same damn car. Maybe VW will wow me. Gimmicky auto lane change ain't gonna do it, even if mine had side sensors.

·
1,495 Posts
The software in the North American ID4 is a minimum viable product. It just plain sucks horribly .Unfortunately the members around these parts will reinforce their confirmation biases and swear that everything on the ID4 is just peachy. Perhaps a few OTA updates will make it suck less? If the the former Car-net and the current MyVw app are any indication of future update quality, I wouldn't set my expectations too high, nor my timeframe too Soon™.
I’m really more amused than annoyed at the (at this point) quite laughable delays and lack of communication from VW, which is why I always jokingly add the Soon™ to my comments about VW’s software timing (I work in a deadline-driven industry and I hear often at work: “‘soon’ is not a date and ‘some’ is not a quantity”). As for VW’s communications with customers, their main strength seems to be “withdrawing into a cone of silence”, leaving open every avenue of speculation and rumor.

All of that being said, the software as it exists in the vehicle today is what I bought, and I’m satisfied with it. I don’t have any “confirmation biases”, btw, only my own experiences and expectations to go on, like everyone else. Though the software might be the “minimum viable” product VW could deliver, in my experience so far it has not “sucked” — there’s a slight delay when it starts up cold, and the scheduled charging apparently is borked (I don’t use it, so don’t really know or care about that), but I haven’t experienced any of the quirks or annoyances (lag, screen going blank, etc.) I sometimes read about on this forum, which do indeed sound quite annoying.

So, for me and I think for many others on this forum, it doesn’t “suck” at all. Your opinion clearly differs, which is fine with me. People can have their opinions and perspectives. However, assuming that anyone who doesn’t share one’s own opinions is an ignorant, blinkered apologist is frankly a rather narrow viewpoint that will inevitably lead to a lot of general frustration.

People who think the software “sucks” might want to consider that just as they have a set of expectations and experiences that have led them to form certain opinions, other people might be coming in with differing expectations and experiences and have formed a different, equally valid opinion.

Anyway, the great thing is that anyone who‘s truly unhappy with the software as it exists now has the freedom to sell their ID.4 (maybe even at a profit!) and move on to a different car that will undoubtedly bring them unlimited happiness and joy.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
5,074 Posts
My ID.4 is just peachy. 🍑

As I've cited a number of times I'm looking forward to improved code as much as anyone but if it were to never arrive (seems like that sometimes) I would be fine with the existing v2.1 as I have had very few gremlins and a very positive driving/hauling experience. And for me a vehicle's drivability is my primary evaluation criteria. 15 months today!! (y)

myVW/Car-Net however continues to be less than reliable, although somewhat improved of late. That service is of course not part of the vehicle's firmware per se but rather an App telecomm interface for cabin pre-conditioning, etc. There is some conjecture that the state of a vehicle's "awakeness" has some bearing.

As @Manybees writes this is a great time to be selling a vehicle, especially this one. Likely to get what you paid for it or more, which is unprecedented in my long automotive ownership experience. As I've also cited many times life is too short to live with a vehicle you don't like and in this case easy to not have to. So all the best with your next vehicle.

·
73 Posts
I don't know why that has to be said as an attack against those of us who like our IDs -- but I agree with you, I think 2.1 clears the low hurdle but VW nicked it with their left butt cheek on the way over. So no argument, that qualifies 100% as a minimum viable product. Key word: "viable." I don't regard it as horrible though. Or suck. I wouldn't be stupid enough to have dropped 40-whatever K on something I thought was horrible and sucky. Personally speaking, I felt I did a pretty thorough checkout of the software based on all the negatives I read here and watched in online reviews, and more importantly I shared all those critiques with my wife to make sure she knew exactly what the complaints were, so she could judge if they were valid, because I didn't want to have her up in my ear if we bought it and she decided to hate it.

And frankly it's kind of ridiculous that many posters here take that tact, as if somehow the software got WORSE after purchase, or that they bought a car sucked horribly from the start somehow expecting OTAs to make it acceptable. That, frankly, would be crazy.

I'm content with the software 2.1 and if the ID.4 lived with that version for the rest of its existence I would be disappointed in VW, but I'd remain happy with the car I bought.

What do I expect with the OTA? Quash the bugs, mainly, but they're so minor they don't register. Fix Scheduled Charging (that's the butt cheek comment). Plug n Charge, but I'm not terribly excited about it. Work out some of the battery heating / preheating profiles, again not terribly excited about it. Fix the charging stops on Nav, but honestly I don't use VW nav so it would need to turn into something super-compelling for me to take notice. Better mileage predictions on the GOM, but the car is going to drive what it drives. If MyVW's missing features are somehow tied to an OTA, then great, bring it on -- but the app itself isn't the OTA.

Anyhow let's say these OTAs finally kick in like I think they will after 3.1 is installed in our cars. Let's say they roll out exactly every 12 weeks, like they "promised." Know what? It's gonna be the same damn car. Maybe VW will wow me. Gimmicky auto lane change ain't gonna do it, even if mine had side sensors.
Second this, at the time of purchase, I had a Bolt, of course recalled and I could not cope with the recall options, so I moved to the ID.4 that I didn't even know existed, couple of days later I drove my ID.4 and left the Bolt behind, software needs improvement, but that doesn't degrade the performance of the car as a whole, could be better? Sure, is a must? not sure, just fix the bugs, and get the OTA running or produce improvements via long coding.

·
90 Posts
I don't know why that has to be said as an attack against those of us who like our IDs -- but I agree with you.
Not an attack, but I suppose my expectations are higher than most people. I expected the product to work. I started having issues at 352 miles, those problems still exist today. My logic is, if you manufacture a mediocre product, you should expect your customers to voice their concerns, which is what I'm doing.

·
90 Posts
So, for me and I think for many others on this forum, it doesn’t “suck” at all. Your opinion clearly differs, which is fine with me. People can have their opinions and perspectives. However, assuming that anyone who doesn’t share one’s own opinions is an ignorant, blinkered apologist is frankly a rather narrow viewpoint that will inevitably lead to a lot of general frustration.

People who think the software “sucks” might want to consider that just as they have a set of expectations and experiences that have led them to form certain opinions, other people might be coming in with differing expectations and experiences and have formed a different, equally valid opinion.

Anyway, the great thing is that anyone who‘s truly unhappy with the software as it exists now has the freedom to sell their ID.4 (maybe even at a profit!) and move on to a different car that will undoubtedly bring them unlimited happiness and joy.
I could sell the ID.4 at a profit, but thats not my motivation. Frankly, I'd concerned about selling this vehicle based on its reliability. FWIW, I've taken delivery of a Model Y two weeks ago. Having both cars in the garage gives me an intersting perspective. Firstly, I'm not a Tesla zealot in any way, but I can unequivocally tell you the software and systems just plain work, anecdotal though that may be. Trip planning and overall UI is orders of magnitude better than the VW. I would easily take the Y on a 1000 mile trip TODAY, something I wouldn't dream of doing with the ID.4 - more accurately my 9 month old ID4. The platforms themselves appear quite similar, with similar build quality, but the VW infotainment, UI and overall reliability are just plain mediocre. I'd love to keep both vehicles given current fuel prices, but I wont. If you're happy with your ID.4 and its reliable, congratulations. Enjoy.

·
1,495 Posts
I could sell the ID.4 at a profit, but thats not my motivation. Frankly, I'd concerned about selling this vehicle based on its reliability. FWIW, I've taken delivery of a Model Y two weeks ago. Having both cars in the garage gives me an intersting perspective. Firstly, I'm not a Tesla zealot in any way, but I can unequivocally tell you the software and systems just plain work, anecdotal though that may be. Trip planning and overall UI is orders of magnitude better than the VW. I would easily take the Y on a 1000 mile trip TODAY, something I wouldn't dream of doing with the ID.4 - more accurately my 9 month old ID4. The platforms themselves appear quite similar, with similar build quality, but the VW infotainment, UI and overall reliability are just plain mediocre. I'd love to keep both vehicles given current fuel prices, but I wont. If you're happy with your ID.4 and its reliable, congratulations. Enjoy.
Clearly, you have found your own personal path to unlimited happiness and joy. Enjoy your Tesla.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
5,074 Posts
I expected my VW to work as well, especially as I have high expectations of German engineering and thereby prefer same. Fortunately, again, my ID.4 does work. Again sorry that yours does not and you are certainly entitled to voice same. We have many threads with folks airing their disdain for failings in their own experiences.

However your initial seemingly "fanboy-directed" prose was likely taken by many to be an unfair "attack" on their choice and positive experience with the ID.4 (myself included). "Unfortunately the members around these parts will reinforce their confirmation biases and swear that everything on the ID4 is just peachy." -oobbyb

All the best with your new Tesla!
Not an attack, but I suppose my expectations are higher than most people. I expected the product to work. I started having issues at 352 miles, those problems still exist today. My logic is, if you manufacture a mediocre product, you should expect your customers to voice their concerns, which is what I'm doing.

·
Mythos Black, RWD Pro Gradient
95 Posts
If and when a new software version is available we will still have to bring it in to the dealer right? As of now all the current ID4s in the USA do not have OTA capability in the current software?!? Is that correct?

·
1,495 Posts
If and when a new software version is available we will still have to bring it in to the dealer right? As of now all the current ID4s in the USA do not have OTA capability in the current software?!? Is that correct?
Yes. That’s correct, though some have reported getting updates already to the navigation database OTA. Rumor has it that the process will take a full day at the dealership. Of course, there has been no official announcement from VW yet about the service campaign and when it will start, but rumors are that it begins in July.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,640 Posts
Incorrect, but only as a technically.

The ID.4 can receive OTAs, but specifically software 2.4 is not OTA-able because it needs to updates locked module.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
5,074 Posts
To augment @Manybees insight I have received SatNav updates OTA, as reflected by Infotainment version numbers. I have also received a number of App updates, including EA, as I happened to see the Infotainment screen reflect same when stopping in my driveway (not CarPlay but the vehicle itself). Also be reminded that the myVW App is downstream-OTA via vehicle integral cellular to pre-condition the cabin etc. So Yes, OTA actually works with our current v2.1 firmware.
However yes we have been led to believe that the upcoming major update will be accomplished at the dealership and will take a full day or more. There may also be a 12V battery upgrade in concert. Presumably VW wants to control this installation process, be better assured/faster by direct telecomm connection, and test the installation thereafter.
Yes. That’s correct, though some have reported getting updates already to the navigation database OTA. Rumor has it that the process will take a full day at the dealership. Of course, there has been no official announcement from VW yet about the service campaign and when it will start, but rumors are that it begins in July.

·
23 Posts
Anyone in
United States receive over air updates yet, or heard of dates yet. Other than just the Summer of 2022?
[/QUOTE
Leasing this car since April of 2021 - it's 1st Edition

I stopped by my dealer yesterday, after reading the 2022's are at the port being flashed to the latest SW version, dealer confirmed that is true. Made me livid!! I love my ID 4 accept when...
  • the infotainment screen goes black,
  • the folding mirrors stay stuck in and will not go back out.
  • the sensors won't shut off
  • the travel assist stops working and you get a message and warning as such and the warning bell will not shut off.
  • your car's dash lights up like a Christmas tree for no reason.

other than that I love it! I have been very patient and my patients are wearing very thin....I asked if the SW update would be here before the lease is up LOL!!!!

Called VW customer service, and all they do is put your VIN in on their website and tell you no updates at this time and no ETA. Ditto from the dealer.

·
11 Posts
My ID.4 is just peachy. 🍑

As I've cited a number of times I'm looking forward to improved code as much as anyone but if it were to never arrive (seems like that sometimes) I would be fine with the existing v2.1 as I have had very few gremlins and a very positive driving/hauling experience. And for me a vehicle's drivability is my primary evaluation criteria. 15 months today!! (y)

myVW/Car-Net however continues to be less than reliable, although somewhat improved of late. That service is of course not part of the vehicle's firmware per se but rather an App telecomm interface for cabin pre-conditioning, etc. There is some conjecture that the state of a vehicle's "awakeness" has some bearing.

As @Manybees writes this is a great time to be selling a vehicle, especially this one. Likely to get what you paid for it or more, which is unprecedented in my long automotive ownership experience. As I've also cited many times life is too short to live with a vehicle you don't like and in this case easy to not have to. So all the best with your next vehicle.
LOVE my ID4.... I chuckle heading past all the $6.49/gallon for diesel signs here in our communist state.. The ID4 is WELL worth the $$$ and the wait to get... one little buggy issue in the software is all I've experienced in 9110 miles.. The range is as advertised and the comfort, noise dampening and quality is above average for a RAV/TIGUAN/ATLAS class vehicle... ordered and got the confirmation on the 2nd ID4 last week.... Great job VW... looking forward to hitting 75000 miles so I can get another one!

·
1,526 Posts
I started having issues at 352 miles, those problems still exist today.
I believe that based on the large number of us who have no issues with our v2.1 cars, if you're having an issue today you should take it in to have the dealer look at it as you may have a bad module or a bad connection somewhere... And if that's the case, a software update won't fix it!

(Unless your issue is simply the scheduled charging doesn't work or the UI is slow to respond when you first start it up, in which case, the software updates will do wonders... ;))

1 - 20 of 66 Posts