Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
23 Posts
I believe that based on the large number of us who have no issues with our v2.1 cars, if you're having an issue today you should take it in to have the dealer look at it as you may have a bad module or a bad connection somewhere... And if that's the case, a software update won't fix it!

(Unless your issue is simply the scheduled charging doesn't work or the UI is slow to respond when you first start it up, in which case, the software updates will do wonders... ;))
Do you mean stuff like this I just have happened on 2 separate days last week? These are just a couple of few other issues. Took my car to the dealer a couple of weeks ago for sensors not shutting off, these happened after that. They did tell me for each issue they have to open one ticket at a time to troubleshoot, and need to leave my car for a few days.

Attachments

·
23 Posts
Do you mean stuff like this I just have happened on 2 separate days last week? These are just a couple of few other issues. Took my car to the dealer a couple of weeks ago for sensors not shutting off, these happened after that. They did tell me for each issue they have to open one ticket at a time to troubleshoot, and need to leave my car for a few days.
I'm not a happy camper, after having this car for 14 months, and not sure at times if it is safe to drive. I love the car, but updates were promised and this is just nuts! I lease this, and have 18 left more months, will it take that long to fix these issues....I work for a software company, and the timeline to get updates is not acceptable, I really do love my car just saying, wish they would get their act together.

·
1,525 Posts
Yeah, I would definitely take it in for diagnosis… especially the electrical system issue! Some have reported that and it was air in the cooling lines, or a bad part. The second issue a few have reported due to the camera overheating in direct sunlight, but if you’re bringing it in for the first, you might as well have them diagnose both! Hope they give loaner cars…

Reactions: Charlie W

·
90 Posts
I feel your pain, I've gotten all of those indications too, along with some others which prevented me from driving.

·
12 Posts
I don't know why that has to be said as an attack against those of us who like our IDs -- but I agree with you, I think 2.1 clears the low hurdle but VW nicked it with their left butt cheek on the way over. So no argument, that qualifies 100% as a minimum viable product. Key word: "viable." I don't regard it as horrible though. Or suck. I wouldn't be stupid enough to have dropped 40-whatever K on something I thought was horrible and sucky. Personally speaking, I felt I did a pretty thorough checkout of the software based on all the negatives I read here and watched in online reviews, and more importantly I shared all those critiques with my wife to make sure she knew exactly what the complaints were, so she could judge if they were valid, because I didn't want to have her up in my ear if we bought it and she decided to hate it.

And frankly it's kind of ridiculous that many posters here take that tact, as if somehow the software got WORSE after purchase, or that they bought a car sucked horribly from the start somehow expecting OTAs to make it acceptable. That, frankly, would be crazy.

I'm content with the software 2.1 and if the ID.4 lived with that version for the rest of its existence I would be disappointed in VW, but I'd remain happy with the car I bought.

What do I expect with the OTA? Quash the bugs, mainly, but they're so minor they don't register. Fix Scheduled Charging (that's the butt cheek comment). Plug n Charge, but I'm not terribly excited about it. Work out some of the battery heating / preheating profiles, again not terribly excited about it. Fix the charging stops on Nav, but honestly I don't use VW nav so it would need to turn into something super-compelling for me to take notice. Better mileage predictions on the GOM, but the car is going to drive what it drives. If MyVW's missing features are somehow tied to an OTA, then great, bring it on -- but the app itself isn't the OTA.

Anyhow let's say these OTAs finally kick in like I think they will after 3.1 is installed in our cars. Let's say they roll out exactly every 12 weeks, like they "promised." Know what? It's gonna be the same damn car. Maybe VW will wow me. Gimmicky auto lane change ain't gonna do it, even if mine had side sensors.
It is not ridiculous to want software to do what it was intended to do especially if you travel. The lack of a route guidence with charging stations that are Electrify America first and other high speed chargers second is not a petty complaint. And no many of us who bought this car were not aware that the system was as horrible as it is. It does suck and VWs dragging their feet to update it is unforgivable. I will never buy another VW product of any type and I know that I'm not alone in this.

·
ID.4 1st Edition & Pro/S
505 Posts
It is not ridiculous to want software to do what it was intended to do especially if you travel. The lack of a route guidence with charging stations that are Electrify America first and other high speed chargers second is not a petty complaint. And no many of us who bought this car were not aware that the system was as horrible as it is. It does suck and VWs dragging their feet to update it is unforgivable. I will never buy another VW product of any type and I know that I'm not alone in this.
Caveat emptor. Or get an app to help solve the problem. Have two 2021 ID4s and have over 51K miles on them combined. Have been all over the country and these cars have been an absolute joy to drive. Some of the charging infrastructure needs to be shored up - but its been great. EA, although owned by VW, is not the car - feel free to use one of the other crappy charging infrastructures for our cars at this point. If one doesn’t know this before purchasing, maybe they …. Well….. caveat emptor.

Reactions: Nai3t and Manybees

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,627 Posts
It is not ridiculous to want software to do what it was intended to do...
I agree with you 100%, and I didn't say that.

It's ridiculous to buy anything based on aspirations of what you want it to do, not what it is actually capable of doing (or what was being sold to us).

VW has only showed off trip planning / charge planning as a feature of 3.1. Actually, not VW officially, but Chris from Battery Life.

If you bought the ID.4 expecting that feature but not seeing it present, then that is the point I'm driving at.

Do I want trip planning? Sure, yes. Do I expect trip planning? Yeah, I think VW will produce it for us '21 owners at some point in the near future. Did VW promise us trip planning? No, they quite clearly didn't.

Remember, VW talked about the ID.4's OTA capabilities, but they never produced a list of promised features they would add for us. And they certainly never said the software as we know it would be anything other than mediocre, even with the common bugs squashed and with Scheduled Charging working.

My job here isn't to defend VW. I'm just flying the flag of reasonable expectations.

·
2 Posts
...but they never produced a list of promised features they would add for us
Let me start with I LOVE my ID.4 and am very glad I bought it, still my favorite car I've owned. BUT. While it's true VW didn't promise these updates when the car was first introduced. I didn't buy an ID.4 thinking I'd get "plug-n-charge" or auto-parking, there are two issues I have.

1. They DID in fact promise (it's always been in their literature, still on their web today) that they will have OTA updates (not saying what would be IN them, but they'd have them. That turned out not to be true. There are no OTA updates. I'm not taking about big super overall software rebuilds like system 3.0...I mean ANYTHING, not a single byte of data has EVER been sent to my car for ANYTHING, not fixing a single bug, not updating the map, not adding any tiny tiny change/feature. Nothing. The dealer and VW (in many press statements) said it would have regular OTA updates. Year and half into a 3 year ownership, not a single byte and NO plan/press on when/if they would EVER do an OTA update now.

2. As far as new features, they (VW CEO) did announce a whole PILE of new features they said would be coming. So I might not have been "expecting" these when I bought the car, but I am NOW since I've been told by the CEO of VW they're coming. Of course do I believe it? The dealer told me OTA updates would be every 12 weeks (no). Then an update was coming by end of 2021 (no). Then by 1st quarter 2022 (no). Then within the first 2 quarters of 2022 (no). Now it's "summer" 2022 (one month a few days to go to make then). I'd bet $100 it's now going to be "by the end of 2022" which will become "sometime in 2023". I've seen this pattern from various manufacturers (outside of the auto industry). The point is to promise features you can't deliver (or have no intention of delivering) then just keep moving the date over and over and over util folks just give up, eventually we'll all just buy the NEXT version of the car in a 1 to 3 years which will come with new software and the problem will magically be solved! :) Nothing needs to be done.

I really do hope they keep their promise, but since no one on Earth, including the dealers, have ANY indication of ANY progress or timeline for this, I wouldn't honestly expect it. I still love my ID.4 and I'll limp along with the terrible software for another year and half until I just buy a new car which will have newer software (just like cars updates worked 15 years ago). If they could get OTA working that would be awesome, but since they haven't been able to send a single byte of data ever for anything since the ID.4 release, I sure wouldn't count on it.

·
4,627 Posts
Let me start with I LOVE my ID.4 and am very glad I bought it, still my favorite car I've owned. BUT. While it's true VW didn't promise these updates when the car was first introduced. I didn't buy an ID.4 thinking I'd get "plug-n-charge" or auto-parking, there are two issues I have.

1. They DID in fact promise (it's always been in their literature, still on their web today) that they will have OTA updates (not saying what would be IN them, but they'd have them. That turned out not to be true. There are no OTA updates. I'm not taking about big super overall software rebuilds like system 3.0...I mean ANYTHING, not a single byte of data has EVER been sent to my car for ANYTHING, not fixing a single bug, not updating the map, not adding any tiny tiny change/feature. Nothing. The dealer and VW (in many press statements) said it would have regular OTA updates. Year and half into a 3 year ownership, not a single byte and NO plan/press on when/if they would EVER do an OTA update now.

2. As far as new features, they (VW CEO) did announce a whole PILE of new features they said would be coming. So I might not have been "expecting" these when I bought the car, but I am NOW since I've been told by the CEO of VW they're coming. Of course do I believe it? The dealer told me OTA updates would be every 12 weeks (no). Then an update was coming by end of 2021 (no). Then by 1st quarter 2022 (no). Then within the first 2 quarters of 2022 (no). Now it's "summer" 2022 (one month a few days to go to make then). I'd bet $100 it's now going to be "by the end of 2022" which will become "sometime in 2023". I've seen this pattern from various manufacturers (outside of the auto industry). The point is to promise features you can't deliver (or have no intention of delivering) then just keep moving the date over and over and over util folks just give up, eventually we'll all just buy the NEXT version of the car in a 1 to 3 years which will come with new software and the problem will magically be solved! :) Nothing needs to be done.

I really do hope they keep their promise, but since no one on Earth, including the dealers, have ANY indication of ANY progress or timeline for this, I wouldn't honestly expect it. I still love my ID.4 and I'll limp along with the terrible software for another year and half until I just buy a new car which will have newer software (just like cars updates worked 15 years ago). If they could get OTA working that would be awesome, but since they haven't been able to send a single byte of data ever for anything since the ID.4 release, I sure wouldn't count on it.
Rehashing a continuing topic and burnishing my "VW apologist" tag, I'll just bullet point a couple of things...

• technically our cars have been receiving monthly over-the-air map updates since day one. I know that's not what was intended by "OTA," but just for argument's sake...
  • VW was pretty clear that the ID.4 is "OTA capable" but was very cagy about promising anything. The 12 week thing was aspirational. I'm going to dig up a link to a video @Spin posted of Diess talking about this and it really lends clarity to how developmental this system was at launch. The reviewers and press ran with the 12 week schedule, and so probably too did the sales people at the dealership, but VW was super super careful about what they were committing to. If you can produce VW literature promising OTAs or committing to the 12 week update cycle, I am very interested to see it, because despite it being repeated so often, the video below it the best I've seen.
  • Diess, in the Reddit AMA in March, promised this: "We will have a major update for the ID.4 coming this summer, which will add features like Plug&Charge and AutoHold, as well as a higher capacity onboard charge capability." Add scheduled charging, which was advertised as a working feature from the start. I believe that's where we stand as far as promises go. Do I believe they'll deliver more? Yes, absolutely, but on their timeline, which has been a very rocky timeline.

·
"Einstein" - 2021 ID.4 AWD Pro S, Scale Silver
261 Posts
I wonder if 21/22 owners were willing to pay X dollars to have 3.x installed (and the battery upgrade) if it would be possible assuming X was a high enough number. In other words - is this a problem of dealer payment (what's in it for them) vs. capability regardless of cost. We know 3.x is rolling off the line in all new cars right now so it's not a question of completing the software - the issue is upgrading to it (and the logistics/cost of doing so). I have zero intention of paying shit - just curious.

·
4,627 Posts
...We know 3.x is rolling off the line in all new cars right now so it's not a question of completing the software - the issue is upgrading to it (and the logistics/cost of doing so). ...
Just spitballing, but It could be '21 hardware incompatibility (jeez I hope not!), it could be lack of qualified technicians to bolster all of the dealer service departments that may call to request help, it could be availability of the replacement EFB batteries, it could be abundant caution / phasing, it could be that they're aware of the bugs in 3.1 and want to finish up and deliver 3.2. I mean, any one of those excuses is as good as the next, I don't know one way or the other.

Ooh, I'd hate to be the guy to pony up $250 to upgrade the software early only to be the one to tell you all my car wouldn't wake up and is getting towed back to the shop.

·
246 Posts
After being promised my 2017 Bolt would receive OTA, but never happened I was skeptical with the ID.4. At least the Chevy software was very stable and far better than VW's in most every way.

What I cannot tolerate is when charging today, my software basically stopped working. The charger said I received a 70% charge, but I have no idea if that happened. When my new ID.4 arrives in 10 days hopefully with v3.1, I will take my old one to the dealer every time there is an error. Maybe there will be a software update to fix things, but I want to set up a lemon law buyback in the mean time. If we keep forgiving this non-sense, what motivation does VWoA have to upgrade our software. Some states require ripening the lemon law in the first year of ownership, but you should check your state.

Here is the screen that wasn't fixed with reset. We'll see if it is fixed in the morning.

Cloud Vehicle Car Sky Motor vehicle

·
5 Posts
After being promised my 2017 Bolt would receive OTA, but never happened I was skeptical with the ID.4. At least the Chevy software was very stable and far better than VW's in most every way.

What I cannot tolerate is when charging today, my software basically stopped working. The charger said I received a 70% charge, but I have no idea if that happened. When my new ID.4 arrives in 10 days hopefully with v3.1, I will take my old one to the dealer every time there is an error. Maybe there will be a software update to fix things, but I want to set up a lemon law buyback in the mean time. If we keep forgiving this non-sense, what motivation does VWoA have to upgrade our software. Some states require ripening the lemon law in the first year of ownership, but you should check your state.

Here is the screen that wasn't fixed with reset. We'll see if it is fixed in the morning.

View attachment 14254
This same thing happened to me last week, but the software failure actually happened to me while I was driving. Not only did the software do the same thing as you posted above, but the speedometer also just stopped working as well (see attached pic). I took that pic when I hit a stop light on my way home. Various systems keep failing in my car and I have grown tired of trying to get through to VW on the phone to report the software issues and going to the dealer for them to tell me my car is fine. So given the safety issue with this particular failure since it occurred while driving and I had no speed indication for the remainder of my drive, I reported this to the NHTSA. I sent the NHTSA the pic below, plus email correspondence with VW regarding other systems on my ID.4 just randomly stop working. The thing that fails the most on my ID is the forward collision system and the AC. Sometimes the AC control panel won't even load no matter how many times I hit the button.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror Car

·
172 Posts
This same thing happened to me last week, but the software failure actually happened to me while I was driving. Not only did the software do the same thing as you posted above, but the speedometer also just stopped working as well (see attached pic). I took that pic when I hit a stop light on my way home. Various systems keep failing in my car and I have grown tired of trying to get through to VW on the phone to report the software issues and going to the dealer for them to tell me my car is fine. So given the safety issue with this particular failure since it occurred while driving and I had no speed indication for the remainder of my drive, I reported this to the NHTSA. I sent the NHTSA the pic below, plus email correspondence with VW regarding other systems on my ID.4 just randomly stop working. The thing that fails the most on my ID is the forward collision system and the AC. Sometimes the AC control panel won't even load no matter how many times I hit the button.

View attachment 15014
So in addition to the one in the video posted yesterday and my id.4, how may people have reported this error? Which Pascal claims is absolutely is not a software error or at all related to no OTA updates.

·
5 Posts
So in addition to the one in the video posted yesterday and my id.4, how may people have reported this error? Which Pascal claims is absolutely is not a software error or at all related to no OTA updates.
I tried reaching out to VW about this particular problem, but I got tired after sitting on hold for 45 minutes waiting to get someone. I didn't bother trying to take it to the dealer because it cleared up before I could get it to the dealer. My past experience has taught me that if the VW tech doesn't see it happening, they (VW) don't think its a problem. I am very happy to see that there is a video of this happening to others in addition to the pictures I took when it happened to me.

·
1,525 Posts
That looks to me like something is broken, and if that’s the case, wouldn’t be fixed by a software update… take it in and ask them to pull error codes from the computer, it should show up. Good luck!

Reactions: ericy

·
172 Posts
The video posted yesterday by Out of Spec Review also has the error and the results were the same from VW service. The suggestion to the owner was that this must be an isolated case and she should consider replacing the car and trying to categorize it as a lemon (an isolated case) and get VW to replace it.

Here is the link:

·
1,525 Posts
Yeah, that’s some seriously lazy dealer service team... Dealerships really are going to have to disappear and be replaced by factory tech teams like Tesla someday…

Reactions: Huey52

·
172 Posts
That looks to me like something is broken, and if that’s the case, wouldn’t be fixed by a software update… take it in and ask them to pull error codes from the computer, it should show up. Good luck!
I have looked at the error codes and I do not believe that there is a hardware intermittent error in all of these cars. The software has to be careful in looking at transients in data on the bus and not just throw up messages and tell the user he is on his own. The software may not be responsible for the transient error on the bus, but it should be robust enough to retry the condition and diagnose the situation better. This could just be a very poorly written error handling routine that just quits and waits for the system to reset after some time interval. To me this is an indication of very poor coding at the least. and if there is an underlying hardware issue it is not helping to find the culprit. I am sure there are other designers and coders out there that have seen this sort of schlock before.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts