Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Mythos black arrived at the dealer earlier in the week, but had paint issues bad enough to require a replacement vehicle. Hopefully VW will be able to re-direct a replacement from cancelled order inventory. Kudos to my dealer for catching the issue and not just trying to cover it up.

As someone who likes to plan ahead, I sold my old vehicle on Monday, so now I'm stuck with no viable transportation. Probably a good lesson for anyone who's on the last step: expect the unexpected.

Is anyone else seeing paint issues? Hopefully this is an isolated case. Guess my "wheel of torture" has rolled back a few steps...

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,482 Posts
Very sorry to hear that. As you say at least the dealer caught it and hopefully they can redirect a "spare" from somewhere in the VW system.

Would you please elaborate on the issues. Do you think it was due to improper shipping? I say that as not typically a factory flaw given QC inspections.

e.g. I've heard of "rail rust" (iron oxide) being a particular issue. One Benz GLA I know of that had same. Tiny red/black dots throughout on a light colored paint. Rare, but it can happen.
My new Mythos black arrived at the dealer earlier in the week, but had paint issues bad enough to require a replacement vehicle. Hopefully VW will be able to re-direct a replacement from cancelled order inventory. Kudos to my dealer for catching the issue and not just trying to cover it up.

As someone who likes to plan ahead, I sold my old vehicle on Monday, so now I'm stuck with no viable transportation. Probably a good lesson for anyone who's on the last step: expect the unexpected.

Is anyone else seeing paint issues? Hopefully this is an isolated case. Guess my "wheel of torture" has rolled back a few steps...

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you please elaborate on the issues. Do you think it was due to improper shipping? I say that as not typically a factory flaw given QC inspections.
The dealer hasn't given me a lot of detail about the problem, only saying that the imperfections, "don't feel make this car worthy of new car delivery." They also said it looks like the factory or port attempted to unsuccessfully repair the issues. Given that they're replacing the entire car, I'm guessing this wasn't just a minor scratch.

Let's hope I'm the only one! I guess I shouldn't buy a lottery ticket today, lol.

·
ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
162 Posts
I have not seen a thread on a ID.4 Delivery Checklist (might have missed it in my searches). From the FE feedback, it seems cars are in "good shape". Has anyone used a checklist based on their experience with ID.4?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,482 Posts
Perhaps you should!

btw: My ordered 2011 Audi A5 leaked water the first time the dealership washed it as part of their prep. And this despite the factory "monsoon test" that you always see in factory video's that is supposed to catch same. So the factory isn't flawless!

I applaud your good nature in this and hopefully you get a fresh new and flaw free ID.4 very soon!! (y)

The dealer hasn't given me a lot of detail about the problem, only saying that the imperfections, "don't feel make this car worthy of new car delivery." They also said it looks like the factory or port attempted to unsuccessfully repair the issues. Given that they're replacing the entire car, I'm guessing this wasn't just a minor scratch.

Let's hope I'm the only one! I guess I shouldn't buy a lottery ticket today, lol.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
919 Posts

You didn't order white, did you?

·
Proud FE owner
993 Posts
well-played @ericy ! 🤣

Reactions: jonic

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts

Sounds like it was damaged somehow in transit to the port, then the Vehicle Delivery Center tried to correct the damage. This is more common than folks think. It's absolutely possible that a vehicle is repaired in some way in the port by the VDC. However, if the damage and/or repair was sufficiently bad that the dealer rejected the car, then I'm surprised it made it out of port.

·
2021 Pro-S
73 Posts

What exactly were the paint issues?

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What exactly were the paint issues?
I had a bit more detail earlier in the thread, but essentially they didn't give me specifics. Only that it was bad enough that the car had to be replaced.

·
1st Edition since 3/18
12 Posts
My trunk had oversprays from the black roof but that's it. I'll snap a picture of it.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update: VW has allocated a new vehicle and it's currently on the ocean en route to Houston. Hopefully on the Goodwood, as that will dock in a couple days. This time I'll be in the dark, as my "wheel of torture" is already on 7/7. Hopefully second time's the charm!

·
ID.4 FE Blue
138 Posts
Did you see the car at all? Perhaps it was just an excuse from the dealer?

Reactions: egsell

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you see the car at all? Perhaps it was just an excuse from the dealer?
No, I haven't seen it and only have vague details. I did contact VWoA via Twitter and they were helpful in getting things moving, so I'm pretty sure there's an actual issue. That said, the car still shows up in dealer inventory on their web site.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update #2: The dealer called me out of the blue today to let me know the original car has been repaired. This time I asked for more detail about the problem and what was done to correct it. Apparently the main issue was the clear coat was foggy/wavy in one area. The dealer's body shop wet-sanded (color-sanded) it and now it looks great. I measured paint thickness all over the car and it was fairly uniform, though I did get a few higher readings in the repaired area. The dealer claims claims they didn't paint it (but who knows what happened in port).

So now I have a choice: take delivery of this one (12xxx VIN) or wait until next week for a replacement to arrive (19xxx VIN). The replacement was on the Goodwood and is still at port in Houston, but VW expects it to make it here next week.

So...what would you do? Any advice? I'm leaning towards waiting, but part of me thinks it's silly and that the color-sanded area is probably even smoother than the factory paint.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
120 Posts
Update #2: The dealer called me out of the blue today to let me know the original car has been repaired. This time I asked for more detail about the problem and what was done to correct it. Apparently the main issue was the clear coat was foggy/wavy in one area. The dealer's body shop wet-sanded (color-sanded) it and now it looks great. I measured paint thickness all over the car and it was fairly uniform, though I did get a few higher readings in the repaired area. The dealer claims claims they didn't paint it (but who knows what happened in port).

So now I have a choice: take delivery of this one (12xxx VIN) or wait until next week for a replacement to arrive (19xxx VIN). The replacement was on the Goodwood and is still at port in Houston, but VW expects it to make it here next week.

So...what would you do? Any advice? I'm leaning towards waiting, but part of me thinks it's silly and that the color-sanded area is probably even smoother than the factory paint.
Honestly, I'd wait. This is a big purchase, and you should feel very confident in your decision.

·
2021 1st
775 Posts
I would wait, as well. I know myself way too well to not worry about this sometime in the future. I'm not even sure a lower VIN number is a plus in a first run vehicle :)

·
Proud FE owner
993 Posts
I would wait. This isn't a collector car and VIN numbers are pretty random anyway. Better piece of mind to have a car you receive as "perfect" than one you know had been repaired after production by someone other than the original manufacturer.

Reactions: NorCar

·
58 Posts
I’m a dissenter here :) this sounds like a minor paint issue that has been resolved so likely would not wait. What is the risk in taking it? Maybe the new car will have some other problem.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
686 Posts
I’m a dissenter here :) this sounds like a minor paint issue that has been resolved so likely would not wait. What is the risk in taking it? Maybe the new car will have some other problem.
Agreed 100%.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts