Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my white ID4 Pro almost two weeks ago. I am wondering if anyone out there has experience in trying to preserve the gloss and paint of this vehicle. Should I bring it to the dealer for a coat or treatment? A body shop? Or perhaps there are reliable over the counter products I should use.

This is the first nice car I’ve owned, and want to take care of it beyond what I’d do for the cheapo cars I’m used to driving.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
194 Posts
I bought my white ID4 Pro almost two weeks ago. I am wondering if anyone out there has experience in trying to preserve the gloss and paint of this vehicle. Should I bring it to the dealer for a coat or treatment? A body shop? Or perhaps there are reliable over the counter products I should use.

This is the first nice car I’ve owned, and want to take care of it beyond what I’d do for the cheapo cars I’m used to driving.
I got ceramic coating, which helps keep the car cleaner and glossier (you can consider it semi-permanent wax). I would not do it through the dealer. Look in your area.

If you really want to protect the paint you need PPF. It gets pricey quick though. I opted against it.

·
89 Posts
I agree with the ceramic coat, I just coated my car with Armor Shield ceramic diy coat. It was very easy to apply however making sure the car was ready to be coated is an ordeal. You have to make sure your paint is near spotless if not it will lock in whatever is wrong for a minimum of 2 years.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,183 Posts
I don't do any such paint protection stuff in our June pine pollen season. Even freshly washed and in the garage there's just too much that can "lock in ...." :(

I'm actually not going to anyway as I truly want this to be more Jeep-like in my everyday use and especially home center runs mentality. But I did just receive my touchup paint from aptly named and high quality Automotive Touchup. ;)

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
194 Posts
Check out the web for specials on ceramic coating. I found a Groupon for $350 for ceramic coating of the car. Tbh even if it only lasts 1-2 years it was a steal.

·
317 Posts
I used an over counter (Walmart) ceramic spray coating that applies like a wax. But the vehicle needs to be spotlessly clean.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,183 Posts
Griot's recently introduced their own spray-on. Easier to apply and less costly than the commercial "pure" ceramics, but of course doesn't have the longevity. I am considering transitioning when my in-stock products are depleted, which won't be anytime soon.

I used an over counter (Walmart) ceramic spray coating that applies like a wax. But the vehicle needs to be spotlessly clean.

·
98 Posts
I don't do any such paint protection stuff in our June pine pollen season. Even freshly washed and in the garage there's just too much that can "lock in ...." :(

I'm actually not going to anyway as I truly want this to be more Jeep-like in my everyday use and especially home center runs mentality. But I did just receive my touchup paint from aptly named and high quality Automotive Touchup. ;)
Yea, I’m more worried about touch-up paint. I got a door ding on my Tiguan on the ferry coming back from Martha’s Vineyard a few weeks ago. Would have been furious if had been my new ID.4. I just hate door dings because they are avoidable most of the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts