Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me whether the ID 4 has climate control options for when parked, like Tesla's Dog and Camping modes? I am leaning towards buying an ID 4 over a Tesla, but if I can't keep the interior a constant temperature for hours at a time while parked, it will be a deal breaker for me.

Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
I know you can preheat from the app. That would imply you can keep the car at any desired temperature regardless of whether it moves or not.

Discussion Starter #3
That鈥檚 good to know. Looking forward to more confirmation that this will work for hours at time, with both heaters and AC. Not just for overnight camping, but I want to be able to let my dog rest comfortably for a few hours at a time while I am at work during Canadian winters. Basically, I need to know it will work as well as a Tesla.

In this video on time marker 9:17 he talks about a "Start/Stop button" that you can push if you need to leave the car but there is still a passenger in the car. Not sure if this will keep the climate control on.

There is a comment in an ID.3 video where they talked about needing to fasten a seat belt to keep the car "alive" for an extended period. I suspect you would need to do the same for the ID.4, so I am guessing it is doable. I know, now you just need verification.

Discussion Starter #6
There is a comment in an ID.3 video where they talked about needing to fasten a seat belt to keep the car "alive" for an extended period. I suspect you would need to do the same for the ID.4, so I am guessing it is doable. I know, now you just need verification.
Yeah. I figure it may take some time for more people to get their hands on them and report their experiences. I can be a bit patient, as I am going to wait until at least next summer, when the AWD is available in Canada before I consider making a purchase.

In my BMW PHEV, when I push the off button, the center screen asks if I want to activate the climate control. A simple push of the MMC button activates it. It will be harder with the ID.4 as there is no on/off button. Sure would like to see this capability, though--but I suspect it'll require some multiple scrolls thru the menu because of the lack of an on/off button.

In my BMW PHEV, when I push the off button, the center screen asks if I want to activate the climate control. A simple push of the MMC button activates it. It will be harder with the ID.4 as there is no on/off button. Sure would like to see this capability, though--but I suspect it'll require some multiple scrolls thru the menu because of the lack of an on/off button.
Every video I've seen shows an on/off button on the right side of the steering column. Some videos even questioned why it exists when supposedly just getting into the car with the key and putting your foot on the brake gets you ready to take off.

Ultimately it is a software thing, so VW can easily add it in an OTA update, but a workaround is to schedule a couple of preheating sessions through the night, that will keep the cabin warm for overnight camping.

The utility in my PHEV is that I can easily activate it when I'm waiting in the car and keep the car cool in Houston's summer, or keep groceries cool when I'm going to a second store on the way home. Really a useful feature even if you don't leave a dog in your car in the summer while you are in a store.

ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
Every video I've seen shows an on/off button on the right side of the steering column. Some videos even questioned why it exists when supposedly just getting into the car with the key and putting your foot on the brake gets you ready to take off.
@mmcbtx - The on/off button on the ID.4 will turn on the auxiliary functions when not driving/no driver.

@mmcbtx - The on/off button on the ID.4 will turn on the auxiliary functions when not driving/no driver.
I realize my reply didn't specify that (the video javi_ID4 references 4 posts above mine does). My reply was really just specific to the fact that the car does have the button.

Perhaps it would have been less confusing if I didn't include the anecdote about a reviewer questioning the existence of the button, but it was relevant in my mind because we now have an explanation for why the button exists when previously, people noticed it and asked "why".

ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
I realize my reply didn't specify that (the video javi_ID4 references 4 posts above mine does). My reply was really just specific to the fact that the car does have the button.

Perhaps it would have been less confusing if I didn't include the anecdote about a reviewer questioning the existence of the button, but it was relevant in my mind because we now have an explanation for why the button exists when previously, people noticed it and asked "why".
My first reply was to point out that the power button is used solely to turn on the auxiliaries (based on the video I had watched previously), but then rephrased as you could use it to turn on the car (even though there is no need). Sorry, I was trying to add to your quote, not contradict. I also meant to tag @ted99 and not you as I was really replying to him.

Reactions: ted99

It makes sense now as I was wondering what the button was for when I sat in driver seat playing around with buttons on steering wheel.

Discussion Starter #15
Cool. So is that a confirmation, that after turning on the auxiliary functions, I can leave my car parked and locked for many hours at a continuously controlled interior temperature, through both heaters and AC? And it can be monitored and adjusted remotely by the app? Please excuse my excessive nitpicking, but this is a hugely important feature for me, and I鈥檓 thrilled I have a chance of getting it in an AWD EV SUV without having to pay for a Model Y.

My first reply was to point out that the power button is used solely to turn on the auxiliaries (based on the video I had watched previously), but then rephrased as you could use it to turn on the car (even though there is no need). Sorry, I was trying to add to your quote, not contradict. I also meant to tag @ted99 and not you as I was really replying to him.
Calling attention to that button is good. That means that even if dog mode is not initially present, it's addition as an OTA update makes activating dog mode a lot simpler--could be one additional button push, as in my BMW PHEV's.

As a note, when I activate dog mode (I like that terse and very descriptive term), range drops about one mile per 5 min.

Cool. So is that a confirmation, that after turning on the auxiliary functions, I can leave my car parked and locked for many hours at a continuously controlled interior temperature, through both heaters and AC? And it can be monitored and adjusted remotely by the app? Please excuse my excessive nitpicking, but this is a hugely important feature for me, and I鈥檓 thrilled I have a chance of getting it in an AWD EV SUV without having to pay for a Model Y.
One of the reviews for an ID.3 I saw, he activated a "dog" mode as he was sleeping in the back, but he said he had to fasten the seat belt for it to continue for any length of time.

Reactions: mferg
1 - 17 of 17 Posts