Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this feature. The manual says I have it, there's a button for it and everything, and I push it and the whole thing comes up....

.... and it never works. Never shows me any spots available, nothing. I've tried stopping in the middle of a parking lot for like a whole minute, slow-rolling past parked cars, everything I can think of. According to the manual, it should... just work?

What am I doing wrong? Why doesn't it seem to work at all? What's the magic words of method of getting this to work?

My dealer is no help. They know nothing about ID4's. I had to show the salesman how to do anything with this car.

Everything else seems to work. All the other systems I tried and tested out. Just this one having issues.

Edit: Because the names of the various systems are confusing, I'm talking about this system here:

I can get that screen to come up, but no matter what I do, it won't detect spots it seems.

2023 ID.4 Pro AWD
998 Posts
I tried to do it on an empty parking lot and it did not work, but when it sees the parked car, it tries to park next to it. I have never had a chance to try it out next to a car but it shows it can park there.

It kind of makes sense as this Car has no 360 camera and sensors can not see lines on side. So when it detects a vehicle it offers to park next to it. It has front and rear cameras so that can take care of parking midway once it can see parking lines.

BTW memory parking works flawlessly, I use it regularly in couple of tight parking spaces.

Reactions: Saprissa2010

242 Posts
Hello,
the technical sales manager at my dealership showed me the Park Assist feature and he said that the ID4 can only find spots between 2 'cars'. It usually does not work 'next' to 'one' car or next to a wall. The idea is that if there is only one car then there is enough space for a human to be able to park safely. Same for an open parking lot. The car does not look for parking spot markings. It looks for 2 cars with the needed space in between. Sometimes it shows me parking spots between power line pols but in general it works for me when there are 2 cars present.

Btw parking into my garage does not work even with memory parking. It slams on the breaks because it things the garage door frame is too close, but it isn't because I saved the parking spot, right? ;-)

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did try it in a busy grocery store lot with lots of cars and spaces between cars, not just an open lot, and got nothing before, but I'll give it a try again and see if maybe I didn't do something correctly.

115 Posts
I did try it in a busy grocery store lot with lots of cars and spaces between cars, not just an open lot, and got nothing before, but I'll give it a try again and see if maybe I didn't do something correctly.

I have done it to parallel park a few times and it’s worked great. I only did it once to park in a parking lot and it worked fine but it took a minute before it started finding spots

1 - 5 of 5 Posts