Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been dealing with this since I bought my car (Edit: RWD ID.4 Pro S) and no one can seem to figure it out.

I live in a high rise building. The parking garage gate automatically opens after a transponder sticker you stick on your windshield passes under an overhead sensor. It’s a sticker that has a tiny device in it (an actual hard bump in the middle of it). I assume this little $35 thing communicates with the overhead sensor.

I had a transponder on a Jetta before I bought the ID.4 that always worked with zero issues to get in and out of the garage.

I have since gone through THREE transponders (read: $105) because they just do not work through the ID.4 windshield. I can wave one maniacally put the wonder under the sensor and sometimes that works but I have to get out the car because of where it is. Ive had to keep buying them because once you peel it off, they’re too damaged to re-use. I’ve tried placement under the rear view mirror, to the far right corner and toward the very bottom of the windshield. Management says no one else has had this issue. I’m pretty sure I’m the only ID.4 owner in the building so I’m convinced it has to do with the car. Maybe something electronic in the car is conflicting with the sensor?

In the meantime, I have to honk like a madwoman to get valet’s attention to let me both in and out of the garage.

Any insight? It’s almost making me not want to renew my lease at my place.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st ed
75 Posts
I have been dealing with this since I bought my car and no one can seem to figure it out.

I live in a high rise building. The parking garage gate automatically opens after a transponder sticker you stick on your windshield passes under an overhead sensor. It’s a sticker that has a tiny device in it (an actual hard bump in the middle of it). I assume this little $35 thing communicates with the overhead sensor.

I had a transponder on a Jetta before I bought the ID.4 that always worked with zero issues to get in and out of the garage.

I have since gone through THREE transponders (read: $105) because they just do not work through the ID.4 windshield. Ive had to keep buying them because once you peel it off, they’re too damaged to re-use. I’ve tried placement under the rear view mirror, to the far right corner and toward the very bottom of the windshield. Management says no one else has had this issue. I’m pretty sure I’m the only ID.4 owner in the building so I’m convinced it has to do with the car. Maybe something electronic in the car is conflicting with the sensor?

In the meantime, I have to honk like a madwoman to get valet’s attention to let me both in and out of the garage.

Any insight? It’s almost making me not want to renew my lease at my place.
Do you have heated windshield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st ed
75 Posts
Its a Pro S, I think so? I honestly don’t know off the top of my head as I live somewhere I’ll never use it.
So what happens if you get the sticker in your hand and stick it out the car is it working? If yes then maybe use tape and tape it to your glass roof instead of windshield and try this way?

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what happens if you get the sticker in your hand and stick it out the car is it working? If yes then maybe use tape and tape it to your glass roof instead of windshield and try this way?

It does work if I wave the sticker manually out of the car or if I’m standing outside with it. Having to put on the glass roof would be sad but that may be a solution! I’ll consider that. Does the heated windshield have anything to do with disturbing the signal through the glass?

·
1,656 Posts
It does work if I wave the sticker manually out of the car or if I’m standing outside with it. Having to put on the glass roof would be sad but that may be a solution! I’ll consider that. Does the heated windshield have anything to do with disturbing the signal through the glass?
What model you have AWD or RWD?

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before you glue it permanently....use tape and try to move transponder where it works all the time.
that’s the thing. There’s nowhere in the car it seems to want to work. It’s extremely delicate so taping/moving it around could just damage the thing entirely. Do you know of a reason why why it’s not working through the glass/car?

·
1,656 Posts
that’s the thing. There’s nowhere in the car it seems to want to work. It’s extremely delicate so taping/moving it around could just damage the thing entirely. Do you know of a reason why why it’s not working through the glass/car?
You should bring it to attention to your owner....
You may have bad transponder....windshield should have no issues connecting to the microwave signal that is broadcast to your transponder and bounced back to receiver.

·
137 Posts
At my place they put the transponder to the side of the garage door. I have to drive towards the transponder in order to read the tag. Save yourself some money and tape it to the windshield. Better yet, ask your office if they can find a larger sticker to use.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S Gradient
141 Posts
You do not have heated windshield.
Use tape and try multiple places on the windshield...and see if it works...
I don't live in an area where a heated windshield would be of much use, but....

If My Pro S doesn't have a heated windshield, what does the "MAX" button on the dash cluster for the mirrors do? It has the appearance of an electric heater similar to the button for the rear window heater.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,865 Posts
It directs warm air to the windshield interior, just as ol' school always have. RWD ID's don't have in-glass electric heating elements, but AWD do.

btw: The AWD windshield has designated locations adjacent the mirror mount to affix transponders given elsewhere those wire elements block RF transmission (they effectively form a "Faraday cage").

Not all remote openers are created equal. Even with a new battery my remote, clipped to shade, has to be quite close to my garage door before it will open. I'm planning to upgrade my 'contractor grade' openers at some point.
I don't live in an area where a heated windshield would be of much use, but....

If My Pro S doesn't have a heated windshield, what does the "MAX" button on the dash cluster for the mirrors do? It has the appearance of an electric heater similar to the button for the rear window heater.

·
2022 , ID.4 Pro S AWD
113 Posts
Possibly an infrared blocking windshield on these...

·
5 Posts
I had this exact problem with my Civic in the UK several years ago. I eventually mounted the sensor to a larger piece of stiff plastic and then I would lower the window and stick it up in the air outside of the Civic. Worked everytime.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,865 Posts
EZ Pass, Homelink, and most other garage door openers are RF. What devices do you use that are IR?
Possibly an infrared blocking windshield on these...

·
138 Posts
I'm guessing this is a passive RFID strip and the power from the transmitter/reader is too low to activate the chip and read the identification number. I wonder if the car's electronics or wifi interferes with it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts