Volkswagen ID Forum banner
201 - 220 of 220 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,370 Posts
Mine is very low, not obnoxious at all. When @ChristophW started this thread, I stood next to the car while my wife backed out of the garage. I thought to myself, there must be a volume setting somewhere. I wasted a good amount of time searching for one!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,975 Posts
Yes, as I believe we've determined over the ~10 months of this thread not all ID.4 pedestrian warning systems are created equal. Mine is similarly lower volume so I too just didn't understand how some perceived it to be loud.
Presumably there was a VW design specified dB/dBA range and vendors provided components throughout that range, possibly from their off the shelf stock. So we got a box of chocolates .... 😆
Mine is very low, not obnoxious at all. When @ChristophW started this thread, I stood next to the car while my wife backed out of the garage. I thought to myself, there must be a volume setting somewhere. I wasted a good amount of time searching for one!
I am just don't want to read the noise of poor grammar, but as M. Jagger says "you can't always get what you want ..." But then he also said [with poor grammar] "I can't get no satisfaction ..." 🥴

* Site administration is not advocating altering a critical pedestrian safety system. *

Having said that, there is a relatively straightforward way to attenuate the volume by applying automotive grade resistors. One could go further and apply a rheostat/potentiometer. Of course it requires an amount of speaker/attachment disassembly and degree of electronics skills.

Simply double-stick padding the speaker with insulating materials would also attenuate to a degree and be easier to accomplish.

As mine is relatively low volume I can't empathize, but as someone who has more sensitive hearing perception I can sympathize with those who are bothered by a louder system.

Anyone succeed to make the front speaker quieter with sound proofing material? I am just don't want to hear the noise.

·
259 Posts
I test drive a Y and didn’t hear any noise so either it’s not there or so low you can’t hear it inside.
here is my understanding after talking to a tesla driver. tesla only has the sound on when backing up because that seems the only legal requirement at least 2 month ago. the 19mph in out ID4 is stupid i think and not legally required in the US and yes it is too load. btw any newer higher end ICE car is as quite as an EV and has no sound. with 19 mph sound i cannot even drive slowly and quietly through nature. Tesla will enable additional scheme when legally required. then also remember tesla knows how to to OTAs and VW does not.

·
Premium Member
Pro S AWD | Moonstone | Lunar Grey
309 Posts
here is my understanding after talking to a tesla driver. tesla only has the sound on when backing up because that seems the only legal requirement at least 2 month ago. the 19mph in out ID4 is stupid i think and not legally required in the US and yes it is too load. btw any newer higher end ICE car is as quite as an EV and has no sound. with 19 mph sound i cannot even drive slowly and quietly through nature. Tesla will enable additional scheme when legally required. then also remember tesla knows how to to OTAs and VW does not.
Relying on a Tesla, or any other brand, driver for legal opinions sounds like a lot of pain waiting to happen…. If you want no noise legally then you will need to find a pre 2021 EV…

The EV and Hybrid pedestrian sound warning is a US Federal requirement. We have a similar requirement in Canada.

·
Premium Member
Pro S AWD | Moonstone | Lunar Grey
309 Posts
All those recordings made with unknown equipment, settings and conditions aren’t really comparable.

The only way to really settle this is to have 2 identical vehicles, same trim, performing the same tests under the same conditions with different results.

Absent that it’s all anecdotal, based on each individual’s perception, taste and bias.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
987 Posts
Anyone succeed to make the front speaker quieter with sound proofing material? I am just don't want to hear the noise.
I haven't messed with mine . . . . yet, but I would think strips of 3M VHT double faced tape on the outside of the speaker and then a piece of 3/16ths plexiglass stuck on the top of the tape would have to make it significantly quieter, but not make the sound go away completely
I've used this tape on a myriad of things - It's super sticky, but still not that hard to remove. It's also pretty weather proof - I have things glued to the roof of my motor home which are still up there years later

Best of all - You're not trying to open up a $300 speaker to try putting resistors inside

·
84 Posts
All those recordings made with unknown equipment, settings and conditions aren’t really comparable.

The only way to really settle this is to have 2 identical vehicles, same trim, performing the same tests under the same conditions with different results.

Absent that it’s all anecdotal, based on each individual’s perception, taste and bias.
Agreed. This is way too loud and annoying for me... And this could be a potential safety issue for me. There are certain street in my neighborhood that I normally drive around 10 mph now I am driving at least 20 mph.

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·

Correct. Although I will say that our car sounds about like the moonstone grey one in the third video.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,512 Posts
...There are certain street in my neighborhood that I normally drive around 10 mph now I am driving at least 20 mph.
Lol, tell me about it, that's the perfect excuse to run over the neighbor's cat! :rolleyes:

·
259 Posts
Relying on a Tesla, or any other brand, driver for legal opinions sounds like a lot of pain waiting to happen…. If you want no noise legally then you will need to find a pre 2021 EV…

The EV and Hybrid pedestrian sound warning is a US Federal requirement. We have a similar requirement in Canada.

my 2013 fiat 500e hat the noise below 5 mph

·
23 Posts
Yes, as I believe we've determined over the ~10 months of this thread not all ID.4 pedestrian warning systems are created equal. Mine is similarly lower volume so I too just didn't understand how some perceived it to be loud.
Presumably there was a VW design specified dB/dBA range and vendors provided components throughout that range, possibly from their off the shelf stock. So we got a box of chocolates .... 😆

I am just don't want to read the noise of poor grammar, but as M. Jagger says "you can't always get what you want ..." But then he also said [with poor grammar] "I can't get no satisfaction ..." 🥴

* Site administration is not advocating altering a critical pedestrian safety system. *

Having said that, there is a relatively straightforward way to attenuate the volume by applying automotive grade resistors. One could go further and apply a rheostat/potentiometer. Of course it requires an amount of speaker/attachment disassembly and degree of electronics skills.

Simply double-stick padding the speaker with insulating materials would also attenuate to a degree and be easier to accomplish.

As mine is relatively low volume I can't empathize, but as someone who has more sensitive hearing perception I can sympathize with those who are bothered by a louder system.

Has anyone tried pulling Fuse 14 in the instrument panel fuse box? It is labelled: "Digital sound package control unit -J525." I wasn't sure if this related to the digital pedestrian warning sound.

I understand: * Site administration is not advocating altering a critical pedestrian safety system. *

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,975 Posts
As my local beach road/lot opened yesterday with its long 15 mph stretch, and finally some windows down fair weather, I was reminded of this thread. I again passed some pedestrians and they never even looked in my direction. I listened hard (if there is such a thing) and couldn't determine any objectionable intensity.

Also just this past week my daughter was waiting for my arrival in her door-open garage and again mentioned how quiet my ID.4 is when approaching with just a pleasing "Jetsons" sound.

So I definitely got speaker-warning components that must have just met the low end of the dB specification range. Or perhaps I got "bad" components which are actually "good" components. 🤷‍♂️

·
924 Posts
In 2 months of driving, a lot of it in our small little town area, I think I've had one person comment about it and almost nobody look at me as I drove by, etc. because of it. Dogs don't even seem to flinch at it, which is really surprising to me.

I CAN hear it from inside if I tune into it, but I also don't spend a ton of time driving less than 20MPH, even in our neighboorhood where the posted speed limit is 25 on almost all roads. My wife hasn't made a comment about it yet or my daughter.

201 - 220 of 220 Posts