Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What about the change (or not) of performance as a function of battery condition? (state of charge) Generally speaking, do EV’s perform at the same level of performance at say 50% SOC as at full charge, and if so at what point does performance drop? How is the drop in performance noticed by the driver and is it obvious?

·
584 Posts
I think I saw a video that mentioned if the battery got below 30% then available power would be cut back, not sure how noticeable that would be in normal driving. It also said the battery got below 8%, then available power would be severely cut back and you would basically be in limp mode. Both 30% and 8% charge levels came with warnings on one of the displays, I forgot which.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
771 Posts
Li-ion batteries are just as potent at 50% as at 100%. In fact all the way down to failure. If you've ever used say a NiCad string trimmer and then upgraded to Li-ion you'll find that the former degrades far more gradually and has a tiny 'reserve' whereas the Li-ion drops off quite suddenly and completely (kinda like a Zener diode's avalanche curve).

The designers want to safeguard us to a degree from getting stranded so the computer degrades performance at low charge levels in order to give us a bit more range ('limp home mode').

·
2021 First Edition
137 Posts
When my RAV4 EV battery is charged to 100% using extended range, I do feel a bit more power/acceleration for the first few miles. After that, it settles down to normal for the rest of the range. If it gets really low, then the warnings hit and top speed is software limited to extend range and protect the battery.

Not sure if the ID.4 will let you charge to a full 100% like cars with Tesla batteries do, so it may just be linear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts