Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been lurking for a couple weeks now to gather information in anticipation of my ID.4 FE showing up by end of March. Well the dealership had their demo arrive and so I scheduled a time to inspect and drive it today. I decided to go ahead and join to post my perspective as a Tesla Model 3 owner for two years now.

I reserved the first day it was available after the website reopened from the crash. I did it because it was only $100 and I really want to take advantage of the federal tax credit as I don't really need a new car. I'd rather spend that $7500 on a tangible item for my own use than give it to the fed! I reserved the Dusk Blue.

The Dusk Blue hue shifts around a lot as can be witnessed by the various photographs. Sometimes it looks like what you think dusk blue would look like and sometimes it looks like it has a purple element to it. When I saw it today I could definitely see the purple...but not all the time! It's a good color but not sure yet if it's meant for me due to that purple aspect.

The vehicle styling is very attractive in a contemporary VW sense. It will age well. The build quality is first rate as can be expected of VW. The doors open and close with a convincing vault-like thud. The electronic release exterior door handles are nice, much nicer than the awkward arrangement of the Model 3.

The interior styling is also attractive and contemporary. The materials are on par with the Model 3, maybe a touch lower on the plastics appearance. The seats are very comfortable (I am 6'-1"ish and built like a fullback) but I can see where some say there isn't enough bolstering. The Tesla seats are comfortable but the bolstering is a touch restrictive for me and the seats are quite firm whereas the ID.4 is softer. The massage function is pretty neat. Interior space is great with plenty of legroom and headroom for me in front. There was plenty of legroom in back for me but the top of my head was getting very close to the sunshade. Overall the size of the vehicle both exterior and interior hit the sweet spot. The glass roof is nice but a step down from Tesla as it is inset like a traditional pano sunroof rather than the complete glass roof panel. I am used to the Tesla and it is truly one of its best features IMO.

The infotainment had the newer version 0792 I think it is. I played around with it enough to see that it's not really a negative. Responsiveness was fine with minimal lag, maybe a touch slower than the Tesla UI. Graphics quality and resolution was fine except I found it odd that the car on-screen is gray when the actual car is blue! Tesla matches the car colors. Screen navigation to find stuff wasn't troublesome - it just takes some playing around with it to become familiar with the menu structures. I connected my phone with Carplay without any issue. The smaller instrument cluster screen is also nice although I couldn't get the view to change as I've seen on some reviews nor did I use the navigation to be able to get prompts on that screen. It had the driving visualization and speedometer on it the whole time. I wouldn't say it's better to have that second smaller screen versus one big center screen, just two different philosophies.

I now can concur with all the reviews to date about the driving experience. It really mimics the behavior of an ICE to a fault and I really think VW needs to offer sufficient customization to cater to the whims of multiple driver types. My main issue is the creep and lack of auto-hold. I've seen other people post that they though they saw the option to enable it but I didn't see it. What I saw was a function in the 'Brakes' sub-menu which is grayed out (can't remember how it was labeled) and then there is a 'Disable Now' button which requires you to have the car in neutral and your foot on the brake. But the function seems to relate to being able to roll the car while in neutral. At any rate, as other reviewers also noted, the power is above average when comparing to an ICE equivalent like a RAV4 or Rogue but not close to a Tesla and I have a "weak" model! It's a downgrade for me but should be great for anyone converting from a 4-cylinder ICE especially the torque. I will say that acceleration is a bit deceiving in that you get to speed faster than you think due to the effortless and quiet nature of an electric motor and to the isolation of the ID.4! ICE converts will like it. So coming from a Tesla, I am unsure if I can accept a power downgrade. The regen in 'B' mode is pretty strong but not as strong as the Model 3. I just wish it would continue decelerating the car until an auto hold could engage. There is some component of regen happening in 'D' as well as the car definitely slows by more than just coasting. I just don't really get the coasting importance. Urban driving is all about accelerating and decelerating. There are few opportunities to really coast and utilize momentum. Highway driving is all about cruise control so there is no coasting except for downhill but there I'd want regen to keep speed under control and gain back battery charge. VW just needs to implement driver selectable creep and auto hold like Tesla offers.

I was able to use Travel Assist for a few interstate miles. It seemed to work pretty well but I don't know enough about what it can and can't do to really judge. After making a lane change it didn't seem to want to re-engage but again I'm not familiar with it's capabilities nor how to properly control it from the steering buttons. Speaking of, the steering buttons work well enough with the haptic touch and feedback. It wasn't a negative experience by any means. The lack of rear window switches on the driver's armrest is odd and obviously requires another step but it doesn't really bother me.

Ok I think I need to wrap this up as it's getting long. In summary, solid vehicle and beats an ICE every day and twice on Sunday. I've got about a week to think before my FE shows up and may have to base my choice on faith that VW implements driver selectable creep and auto hold. I'm also wanting to test drive a Mach-E and a Model Y before making a final decision.

·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be interested to know which you go between the two as I'm in the same dilemma.
I still have made a decision yet. I'm going to have my wife drive it sometime this week. I am leaning towards releasing the FE reservation and switching to an AWD Pro S.

Reactions: bjhegstad

·
7 Posts
As an owner of a Model 3 and an ID3 (well, the ID3 is my wife's car, but I get to drive it too!), I can tell you that the car's hardware engineering and build are excellent and it has a great battery system and electric drivetrain. However, the software is a bag of nails. OP might have found it OK on a short test drive, but living with it day in and day out compared to the Tesla system is frustrating as hell. For example:

• The mobile app is terrible. It's lacking features and it fails to initiate actions on the car probably 50% of the time (e.g. cabin pre-warming)
  • The facility to do scheduled charging is buggy to the extent that it's unusable.
  • There are still random errors and weird behaviours that come and go (e.g. losing all sound, can't adjust sound, spurious "Drive system" errors)

And I'm now pretty suspicious of a Tesla-like OTA in the future either. The car is packed with distributed control units each with its own firmware and the update process is fragile - our car failed the 2.1 upgrade with a bricked control unit. It's been at the dealers for a week already and it'll be at least another week due to supply issues with a new unit. Given how awful VW seem to be with anything software my worry is that the risk of OTA bricking people's cars is high enough that VW probably won't risk it. So OTA will probably be limited to the main infotainment unit only, which risks leaving a lot of things that need doing (e.g. adding battery pre-conditioning for rapid charging) to a dealer upgrade. Looking at the mess of the 2.1 upgrade here over in Europe (I know of many, many others who have bricked cars and the dealers say it takes 2 days to do the upgrade even when it goes well), I can't see VW wanting to do that too often.

In a nutshell, the whole ID range could have (and should have) been a massive initial hit - but the software is really a huge fail. Maybe they'll dig themselves out of the pit they've put themselves in, but I personally think it'll need another major iteration of the software before that happens and I think it's at least a reasonable prediction that the ID3 and ID4 will be stuck with what is here today. That probably wouldn't stop me buying it again, but every day I think "what a missed opportunity". :)

·
312 Posts
As an owner of a Model 3 and an ID3 (well, the ID3 is my wife's car, but I get to drive it too!), I can tell you that the car's hardware engineering and build are excellent and it has a great battery system and electric drivetrain. However, the software is a bag of nails. OP might have found it OK on a short test drive, but living with it day in and day out compared to the Tesla system is frustrating as hell. For example:

• The mobile app is terrible. It's lacking features and it fails to initiate actions on the car probably 50% of the time (e.g. cabin pre-warming)
  • The facility to do scheduled charging is buggy to the extent that it's unusable.
  • There are still random errors and weird behaviours that come and go (e.g. losing all sound, can't adjust sound, spurious "Drive system" errors)

And I'm now pretty suspicious of a Tesla-like OTA in the future either. The car is packed with distributed control units each with its own firmware and the update process is fragile - our car failed the 2.1 upgrade with a bricked control unit. It's been at the dealers for a week already and it'll be at least another week due to supply issues with a new unit. Given how awful VW seem to be with anything software my worry is that the risk of OTA bricking people's cars is high enough that VW probably won't risk it. So OTA will probably be limited to the main infotainment unit only, which risks leaving a lot of things that need doing (e.g. adding battery pre-conditioning for rapid charging) to a dealer upgrade. Looking at the mess of the 2.1 upgrade here over in Europe (I know of many, many others who have bricked cars and the dealers say it takes 2 days to do the upgrade even when it goes well), I can't see VW wanting to do that too often.

In a nutshell, the whole ID range could have (and should have) been a massive initial hit - but the software is really a huge fail. Maybe they'll dig themselves out of the pit they've put themselves in, but I personally think it'll need another major iteration of the software before that happens and I think it's at least a reasonable prediction that the ID3 and ID4 will be stuck with what is here today. That probably wouldn't stop me buying it again, but every day I think "what a missed opportunity". :)
Well said. What a missed opportunity. I bought the Id4 pro s and as u said, i would buy it again. I have also a fiat 500e since 6 years and it has a much simpler display but all u need is there and works. I shouldn't say that but I would love the fiat with 250mi range then no need for Id4. Fiat driving beats Id4 driving in fun factor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.