Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an article in today's New York Times states that a semiconductor chip shortage has effected ev car production across the world. In today's microchip dominated world, Playstations now are at the front of the line. The article expects at least 6 months delay for many chip needs.

·
217 Posts
The $64 question is if limited availability of chips will be allocated to ID-series over ICE and if Euro production will be allocated over USA. The question arises because VW is facing significant penalties from dieselgate if they don't hit production targets in the EU. If they are limited in chip availability, where will the chips go? Could be that USA production may take second fiddle over EU production.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
587 Posts
My guess is they would allocate the chips to the vehicles that make them the most money. They will allocate just enough chips for them to avoid penalties and then the rest to their SUVs.

Curious if this affects Tesla as well as they make their own chips.

·
83 Posts
My guess is they would allocate the chips to the vehicles that make them the most money. They will allocate just enough chips for them to avoid penalties and then the rest to their SUVs.

Curious if this affects Tesla as well as they make their own chips.
It shouldn't if they truly fab their chips in TX. It's not a raw materials issue, they just are at the back of the fab lines.

·
Proud FE owner
939 Posts
Volkswagen directly manages only a minority of it's supply chain. I seem to recall at 40% figure from articles shared here. Most of the chips would be embedded in modules and components well ahead of the factory floor.

Most of the components of the ID.4 are globalized (heat pump notwithstanding), so there wouldn't be a much of a decision around rationing chips in that manner.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
587 Posts
Volkswagen directly manages only a minority of it's supply chain. I seem to recall at 40% figure from articles shared here. Most of the chips would be embedded in modules and components well ahead of the factory floor.

Most of the components of the ID.4 are globalized (heat pump notwithstanding), so there wouldn't be a much of a decision around rationing chips in that manner.
It seems only their MQB lines are affected (Golf, Atlas, Tiguan. Jetta, Passat, A3, Q3. etc.)...

No reference to the ID lines.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
434 Posts
It seems only their MQB lines are affected (Golf, Atlas, Tiguan. Jetta, Passat, A3, Q3. etc.)...

No reference to the ID lines.
That’s encouraging news. Fingers crossed!
I was hoping our first editions are not affected due to parts being in store already, now we can expect that few if any ID models will be affected unless the chip shortage deepens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts