Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have both the VW electric golf, and I just got the ID4. For the life of me I never figured out how to schedule the hours during which you want the car to charge. It seems so overly complicated to me.

I don’t understand the purpose of this screen, or how to set it up. And now it appears that if I scroll down, there are some new options that the E golf didn’t have which looks more relevant to the char schedule that I want to use for off-peak electricity hours.

Basically, I want to set it up so that I am only charging outside of 6am to 8pm, which I think I have set up here. But I’m confused as to why the top menu had days of the weeks that you can select, but this other menu doesn’t have days of the week. Does that mean that I can’t set up a different charging schedule for weekdays versus weekends?

Any please someone explain to me like I’m a 5 year old. Thanks 🙏🏼

·
ID.4 FE GW
494 Posts
Here is how it is SUPPOSED to work AFAIK:

1. Set your departure times for each day of the week in the first screen you show; you set a different time and specify which days of the week in each row. Check the items (rows) that you want to be active. The car is supposed to complete charging by the selected time on yeac day.

2. You can also set your preferred charging times, as you have done in the second screen you show. You could have these correspond to low electricity costs if you have TOU rates with your utility or any other time you like. The preferred times should have a broad enough range to allow charging to be complete by the departure times you set up in #1.

Ideally the car will charge during the preferred times set in #2 and will complete to the specified state of charge by the departure times set in #1. In reality, some limited experiments by @ericy showed that the departure time takes precedence if you overconstrain the problem (car will charge past the preferred time cutoff to achieve the desired SOC by the departure time.

That is how it is supposed to work. A number of us have found that setting both #1 and #2 causes problems. My car will start charging but will stop about 1 hour later. @ericy showed that his car was drawing less than the rated power of his EVSE and it had numerous periods where its power draw dropped to zero when both #1 and #2 were selected (albeit overconstrained).

I have not been able to get my car to successfully charge to the specified level if both #1 and #2 are set or if only #1 is set. Setting both causes the failures after about an hour (fails again in ~1 hr after restart), and selecting #1 only start OK and continues to the departure time but the car is charged below the specified SOC (only achieves ~75% of the needed energy delivery). I examined my power draw from the my utility company, and the car was drawing significantly less bower than my EVSE can provide (and has provided for other cars). Selecting "Charge now" from the car's Goodbye screen seems to start a charge but then fails after about a minute for everybody who has tried and reported it.

I did my tests with the doors unlocked and "Unlock AC cable automatically" set. Others have reported that the car might work better with the doors locked and "Unlock AC cable automatically"
unset but I have not tried that yet.

These issues are discussed more in this thread:

I have sent much of the above information to VW Customer Care, and they have opened a case FWIW. I suspect that it will be at least 6 months before these issues are addressed.

Good luck, and welcome you your new mobile pile of bugs.

·
8 Posts
I too have an e-Golf and it is much easier. Found on the ID.4 that one charge setting was set at only 50% (assume by the factory) so that hopefully explained why it wouldn’t charge very long at home.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts

Meemster, we can all appreciate that you're excited with your new ID.4, but please do take some time to review the ID.4-specific training videos. Thereafter if you still have questions the group here will I'm sure accommodate.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Meemster, we can all appreciate that you're excited with your new ID.4, but please do take some time to review the ID.4-specific training videos. Thereafter if you still have questions the group here will I'm sure accommodate.
That was the first thing I did. Like I said, this feature seems overly complicated.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is how it is SUPPOSED to work AFAIK:

1. Set your departure times for each day of the week in the first screen you show; you set a different time and specify which days of the week in each row. Check the items (rows) that you want to be active. The car is supposed to complete charging by the selected time on yeac day.

2. You can also set your preferred charging times, as you have done in the second screen you show. You could have these correspond to low electricity costs if you have TOU rates with your utility or any other time you like. The preferred times should have a broad enough range to allow charging to be complete by the departure times you set up in #1.

Ideally the car will charge during the preferred times set in #2 and will complete to the specified state of charge by the departure times set in #1. In reality, some limited experiments by @ericy showed that the departure time takes precedence if you overconstrain the problem (car will charge past the preferred time cutoff to achieve the desired SOC by the departure time.

That is how it is supposed to work. A number of us have found that setting both #1 and #2 causes problems. My car will start charging but will stop about 1 hour later. @ericy showed that his car was drawing less than the rated power of his EVSE and it had numerous periods where its power draw dropped to zero when both #1 and #2 were selected (albeit overconstrained).

I have not been able to get my car to successfully charge to the specified level if both #1 and #2 are set or if only #1 is set. Setting both causes the failures after about an hour (fails again in ~1 hr after restart), and selecting #1 only start OK and continues to the departure time but the car is charged below the specified SOC (only achieves ~75% of the needed energy delivery). I examined my power draw from the my utility company, and the car was drawing significantly less bower than my EVSE can provide (and has provided for other cars). Selecting "Charge now" from the car's Goodbye screen seems to start a charge but then fails after about a minute for everybody who has tried and reported it.

I did my tests with the doors unlocked and "Unlock AC cable automatically" set. Others have reported that the car might work better with the doors locked and "Unlock AC cable automatically"
unset but I have not tried that yet.

These issues are discussed more in this thread:

I have sent much of the above information to VW Customer Care, and they have opened a case FWIW. I suspect that it will be at least 6 months before these issues are addressed.

Good luck, and welcome you your new mobile pile of bugs.
Thank you. I guess this feature really wouldn’t work for me because I’m on a Level 1 slow charger so I’m basically always charging. Not a problem for just the e-golf but I will have to install a 2 Level for the ID.

·
ID.4 FE GW
494 Posts
That was the first thing I did. Like I said, this feature seems overly complicated.
No, it is not complicated. I think they implemented in as straightforward a way as possible. How do you propose changing it to allow selecting either a 'charge by departure time' and / or charge at specific times?

I think that the main problem is that the car is buggy when using these settings and will not charge properly for a number of owners on this forum.

·
215 Posts
So if you are on a level 1 charger and want it to charge every time you plug in, you dont have to setup any of this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts