• Yes

Votes: 49 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 27 35.5%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you previous owned a TDI or diesel vehicle before purchasing a VW ID?

Vote on the poll above and comment below.
Website_Kostenvergleich_Anschaffungskosten_EN_1163.png

·
White Pro S
248 Posts
I've not enjoyed a car this much since my 96 Passat TDI, and I'm including my '08 Jetta and '12 Passat. I loved both cars but the more refined TDI engines were just not the same at all.

·
9 Posts
Have you previous owned a TDI or diesel vehicle before purchasing a VW ID?

Vote on the poll above and comment below.
View attachment 3378
Last VW was a 1968 Beetle. Have had US ice cars since. Now, in my sunset years, thought of Porsche or Corvette for a top-down, three-pedal ride to the sunset. But, going backward into horsepower territory just didn’t seem right. I’ve lived long enough to get to the electric car age and so that’s where I’m going. My ‘68 Bug was named “Brunhilda” and my ID4 (when she finally gets here) will be “Brunhilda II.”

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
289 Posts
I had a 2012 Passat TDI 6MT that was a great car as long as you had managed expectations. It wasn’t sporty or fast but it was big and comfy and could gobble up highway miles getting honest 50+ mpg at normal speeds. Wait this sounds familiar … except substitute 3+ mi/kWh. 🤔

·
ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
162 Posts
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Recalled at 130K miles for DieselGate (the repurchase value was good)

·
14 Posts
We gave it back to VW as part of the buyback in 2016, but we had a 2012 VW Touareg TDI. Great SUV. Miss it terribly but we got a nice sized check from VW so it was hard to say no.

·
58 Posts
2014 type R Touareg TDI recalled. Used some of the money to buy a 2016 Touareg TDI that we still have for long trips and towing capacity (7700 lbs!). Envious of the 2021 V8 Touareg for sale in other parts of the world.

·
2 Posts
OK, VW history over 50 years, including 2 TDIs near the end: 1962 Microbus (crashed and thrown rod, free from neighbors), 1969 Beetle, 1999 Passat V6 MT, 1998 Jetta GLX (kid's car, disaster), 2004 Jetta, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI MT (TDI buyback), for the last week 2021 id.4 Pro S. Also a 2015 Audi Q5 2.0 and now a 2015 Audi Q5 3.0 TDI.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
410 Posts
I voted yes, though technically my dad was the owner; he got a new diesel Beetle in 2003, which I thought was super cool as a kid at the time. He put over 200k miles on that I think before it started having a lot of issues and pretty much died, and he then promptly found a used 2003 diesel Beetle to replace it with lol. Then that one had a lot of issues as well and he replaced it with a 2006 gas Beetle...which he finally just replaced with a 2020 Bolt! Which he loves! Anyway, I always loved how torque-y the diesel Beetle was, and during college I actually thought I would want to buy something similar eventually. But then diesel-gate happened, and I got into EVs, and now here I am on my second EV (after my 2017 Bolt lease), the ID.4! And with my dad also in an EV now, next up is my mom, who currently drives a red 2014 Jetta GLI :)

·
682 Posts
2002 Golf TDI 5sp, wouldn't pass safety inspection after 300K miles due to rust, was still getting 58 mpg on a regular basis. 2012 Passat 6sp that I was regularly getting 54mpg with, gave back due to dieselgate and bought a Z3 coupe with the proceeds from the Passat. Presently have a 2014 JSW TDI 6sp that I am lucky to get 45mpg, plan to trade it in on a ID.4 ProS AWD.

·
9 Posts
Last VW was a 1968 Beetle. Have had US ice cars since. Now, in my sunset years, thought of Porsche or Corvette for a top-down, three-pedal ride to the sunset. But, going backward into horsepower territory just didn’t seem right. I’ve lived long enough to get to the electric car age and so that’s where I’m going. My ‘68 Bug was named “Brunhilda” and my ID4 (when she finally gets here) will be “Brunhilda II.”
After much thought, and with only fondest memories, Brunhilde was unique and deserves to rest on her laurels. The new vehicle will be “Inga die ID4” and begin a new VW relationship.

·
8 Posts
owned a 96 jetta, 08 rabbit (manual), 11 jetta tdi (auto, because my wife said she was going to drive it and never did), 15 golf tdi (manual), 18 tiguan, 15 golf tdi (manual), 21 id4.

·
ID.4 FE - Mythos Black
10 Posts
Owned a 2010 CC and traded in for more kid-practical 2012 Passat TDI. Sold it back to VW with Dieselgate and never thought I would own a VW again. Finally convinced family to try ID.4. Our FE pre-order arrived this week and went with wife for final test drive and pick up.

When we got in the car, which looked great in black with white accents, we couldn’t turn on the AC from the touchscreen. The sales guy couldn’t help us. He told us to drive the car and they would reset it when we returned to do the final paperwork. However, nothing worked on the touchscreen during our test drive. Couldn’t adjust climate, use radio, or even check what version software was loaded. They took it to the tech immediately to diagnose. Waited for 30 minutes before finally leaving with no answer. Eventually called me to say touchscreen was defective. They said they tested infotainment system when prepping the car, but I am not so sure it was a thorough check.

Anyway, I know us early adopters have to deal with some software hiccups, but this was simple QA control. Sorry for the rant, just frustrated I wasted my time and still don’t have my car.

Ironically, Toyota called me to say my RAV4 Prime would be arriving at the end of the month. Have been on their waiting list since last July! But now want to go full electric. I hope VW doesn’t make me regret it.

Reactions: Nai3t and theboomr

·
Dusk Blue FE
93 Posts
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, which I traded in just BEFORE dieselgate, so I missed the buyback (groan). Currently parked next to the ID4: a 2012 Touareg TDI.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts