Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Can WW sell more electric cars than Tesla by 2025?

• Yes

Votes: 34 51.5%
  • No

Votes: 32 48.5%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
673 Posts
The latest quarterly results showed that Tesla has not just quantity but also profits. VW will have to balance quantity shipped with profits as well. They might make the same number of units as Tesla, but if they don't make the same kind of money then we might see cutbacks that affect how often we get our quarterly software updates!

But seriously, both companies are all about scaling up their production facilities right now. Tesla just opened two big plants, and they're going to double Shanghai. VW is opening Emden and Chattanooga for EV production. It is a race!

·
673 Posts
I think the Betamax vs. VHS analogy might slide the wrong way. Teslas integration of charging, maps, battery status, etc. makes them easier to use for long trips, meaning those consumers are not likely to want to mash together Google Maps and ABRP and a battery dongle and the EA program... If I were an executive at VW THOSE would be my biggest concern, even over getting product out the door.

·
673 Posts
I agree, @Fahrer . He is bored by Tesla now that it is on a solid financial footing. He really wants to find a manager he can turn it over to. Herbert Diess already turned him down, but if VW ever ejects him, you can bet Diess' first call will be to Elon.

A truly energetic manager at Tesla would be working on the Cybertruck and other new models, and then turn to refreshes for the M3 & MY.

·
673 Posts
No one company will take 100% market share. VW doesn't have to beat Tesla, they only have to beat Toyota or GM or Stelantis. I think VW is doing a great job, especially compared to recent tests of the E-GMP platforms that show both cold-gating and hot-gating in their charging.

When the EV market matures (ten years from now?) we'll see. Until then it is all opinion.

·
673 Posts
Totally agree with the last post. Going further, given that existing automakers need to change many aspects of building cars, if they were efficient then they should achieve profits of $0. That would mean they accurately predicted their income, and invested all of current profits to achieve future growth. Since many of them made so much money, I would contend they are not projecting future potential growth accurately.

Don't worry about current profits. In fact, a good company will minimize profits for the next few years as they retool.

(I have an MBA) ;-)

·
673 Posts
This is the wrong group to ask "If My and ID.4 are equal price, what would you buy?" We all came to the same conclusion about that particular issue.

Elon didn't invent the EV, but he made it work at mass scale. Others are now making it work at mass scale as well. After that, it is just styling or perceived value or using the dealer network to good effect.

In my lifetime Dodge made crap, then went through a resurgence, then went back to making crap. For a short while I bought two Dodges that I was very happy with. Then the third was in that trough, and I won't touch Dodges for at least another decade. Things change, but for now I will not seriously consider a Tesla. They would have to prove that their build quality was better, and continue to do so for several years before I would consider one. They would also have to offer a more conventional dashboard on a car at a more affordable price point for me to consider them.

Meanwhile, I am very happy with my ID and anticipate buying an ID.Buzz when it comes stateside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts