Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Can WW sell more electric cars than Tesla by 2025?

• Yes

Votes: 34 51.5%
  • No

Votes: 32 48.5%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
364 Posts
I don't know whether VW will sell more than Tesla by 2025. What I do think I know is that Tesla won't have a 75%-80% market share of EVs by 2030. Probably not even close. They may still be the biggest player, but their share could be below 25%-30%.

Dave

·
364 Posts
More choice for the consumer is better, that helps keep prices in check. Tesla is pricing its vehicles higher due to demand and the current macroeconomic environment. It's a sign of a seasoned/quality product line when that company can raise prices in times like these. Direct to consumer sales allows the price to modified in both directions as market conditions warrant. I fully expect Tesla to reduce prices as early as the end of this year as demand weakens at higher price points. As they ramp up production in 2022-23 they will move downmarket due to economies of scale. Price parity of a ID 4 vs Model Y what will the consumer choose?
I think you are overestimating the importance of "being best" versus being "good enough and cheaper".

Tesla is going to be under a huge onslaught of very credible competition at the lower price end and higher. There is no way Tesla has anywhere near their current market share of EVs in 2030.

And there is no price parity between model Y and ID.4. It's not even close. Yes, the model Y is "better" than the ID.4. Will that matter to the average consumer if the ID.4 is "good enough"?

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts