Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Can WW sell more electric cars than Tesla by 2025?

• Yes

Votes: 34 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 47.7%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle Car Smile Vehicle registration plate Grille

Volkswagen's CEO Herbert Diess says he believes that they can outsell Tesla in EVs by 2025.

Last quarter, the VW group delivered 99,064 all-electric vehicles. During the same period, Tesla delivered over 310,000 all-electric vehicles.

Do you think it can be done in 3 years? Or is what Diess said just wishful thinking? VW certainly has the resources to do it but the timeframe might be too short.

Vote in the poll below and let's see what the results are.

·
356 Posts
On a global basis, I believe VW will surpass Tesla EV market share by 2025 ( if not , by 2030) if VW keeps adding production capacity and keeps prices in check. The build quality of VWs vs Tesla should enable VW to keeps its lead in the EU. It will take time to overtake Tesla in NAFTA. BYD is also going to be big, worldwide.

It is interesting the American media always discusses Tesla, Ford, Rivian, Kia/Hyudai, GM and a few others but rarely VW.

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
664 Posts
The latest quarterly results showed that Tesla has not just quantity but also profits. VW will have to balance quantity shipped with profits as well. They might make the same number of units as Tesla, but if they don't make the same kind of money then we might see cutbacks that affect how often we get our quarterly software updates!

But seriously, both companies are all about scaling up their production facilities right now. Tesla just opened two big plants, and they're going to double Shanghai. VW is opening Emden and Chattanooga for EV production. It is a race!

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,760 Posts
VW plans to produce 1.5 million EVs per year by 2025, and is building 6 battery gigafactories. Tesla may be slightly higher than that by 2025, it all depends on how fast each can build those planned factories. They are both ramping up incredibly fast.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,452 Posts
Can they? Yes, probably. Will they? Maybe.

Like @Froggy says they have some issues to tackle, not just plant capacity.

VW also has more vehicle models at a compelling price point.

Tesla just opened two new big vehicle assembly plants in March and April (Grünheide and Austin), joining Fremont and Shanghai, so their new capacity isn't included in last quarter's data. And they're making batteries at their own plants in the two new plants plus Lathrop (CA) and Reno.

It's going to be interesting to watch! 🍿

·
985 Posts
Well in Europe they are all using the same charging plug. With Tesla opening their super chargers to all only in Europe that gives VW certain advantages to prioritizing production for Europe. I imagine that when production opens up in Tennessee whatever it produces will be all that North America gets.

·
Dusk Blue Metallic ID.4 Pro S (Statement) RWD - Step 4/7
50 Posts
Well in Europe they are all using the same charging plug. With Tesla opening their super chargers to all only in Europe that gives VW certain advantages to prioritizing production for Europe. I imagine that when production opens up in Tennessee whatever it produces will be all that North America gets.
Tesla has also created the inverse effect in the US by using a unique charging plug. Even by 2025 the EV Market will still be dominated by early adopters and likely meaningful portion of that group will be Tesla owners upgrading to newer models. Many of them will have installed Tesla chargers in their homes and have established routines that include Tesla Supercharger locations, hotels, restaurants, etc. with Tesla destination chargers. Human nature is often to choose the path of least resistance which for them is another Tesla. Habits are hard to break, which I'm sure is why VW is getting all new ID owners in the habit of looking for Electrify America chargers.

·
3,452 Posts
Tesla is about to be an underdog in the DCFC world, too. I think it won't be long before Tesla owners notice there are many more CCS charging options nearer or more conveniently located than there are Tesla superchargers, and when it's time to buy their next vehicle, may feel like a non-Tesla provides more options (both in charging locations as well as variety of vehicle selection).

I really don't believe Tesla can maintain their own go-it-alone charging standard in the US without compromising their owner satisfaction, ultimately hurting sales. Maybe not today, but very soon.

·
2021 VW iD4 1st Edition Glacier White
347 Posts
Only if they manage to do an over the air update by 2025. But seriously, I don't think they will catch up with Tesla by 2025. Tesla will be close to 3 million cars per year by then.

·
356 Posts
Tesla is about to be an underdog in the DCFC world, too. I think it won't be long before Tesla owners notice there are many more CCS charging options nearer or more conveniently located than there are Tesla superchargers, and when it's time to buy their next vehicle, may feel like a non-Tesla provides more options (both in charging locations as well as variety of vehicle selection).

I really don't believe Tesla can maintain their own go-it-alone charging standard in the US without compromising their owner satisfaction, ultimately hurting sales. Maybe not today, but very soon.
Remember Betamax vs VHS? ( I am showing my age)
Sony was first but the flood of VHS based brands eventually pushed Betamax off the retail shelves.

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
664 Posts
I think the Betamax vs. VHS analogy might slide the wrong way. Teslas integration of charging, maps, battery status, etc. makes them easier to use for long trips, meaning those consumers are not likely to want to mash together Google Maps and ABRP and a battery dongle and the EA program... If I were an executive at VW THOSE would be my biggest concern, even over getting product out the door.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
977 Posts
Last quarter, the VW group delivered 99,064 all-electric vehicles. During the same period, Tesla delivered over 310,000 all-electric vehicles.
Last quarter Tesla probably delivered at least 2 or 3 OTA software updates to their various cars too - Likely even more than that, but I have no actual figures

A friend has owned a Model S for several years and he says there are methods in place where owners can actually request things they would like to see in a software update and he's very proud that a couple of his suggestions have actually found their way into his personal car! - Can you believe it? A car manufacturer that actually communicates with it's customers and listens to their suggestions and actually ACTS on them?

Who cares who sells the most cars? Is that necessarily the company you want to buy your next car from?

·
3,452 Posts
I don't know, Don, when I car shop I shop for a car that meets my needs and expectations – I kind of avoid cars that I think might be in need of an OTA that might address a shortcoming at some undisclosed point in the future.

I'm not saying I don't want an OTA – I do – yet I can say I've been happy with the car I bought.

·
348 Posts
I don't know whether VW will sell more than Tesla by 2025. What I do think I know is that Tesla won't have a 75%-80% market share of EVs by 2030. Probably not even close. They may still be the biggest player, but their share could be below 25%-30%.

Dave

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
977 Posts
I'm not saying I don't want an OTA – I do – yet I can say I've been happy with the car I bought.
Oh I agree with that - I'm pretty happy with mine too, but even VW saw the need for OTA updates . . . . how often did they tell us to expect them?

How hard would it be for them to hire 3 or 4 people for 'Customer Liaisons' to talk to us and give us an idea of what's going on? I don't expect ro see my suggestions implemented anytime soon, but if they would just pretend to be listening, I think it would go a long way. By far, the biggest VW frustration is the silence

·
1 Posts
It depends. VW advantages over Tesla is that they have existing network also flexible and wider range of lineup. They already have plants across the globe like Tesla. They just need reliable part suppliers and that all their plants are functioning 100%. Those ID cars have great potential, not the most fancy or fastest but excel greatly in what they are expected to do. The software should be fine with time, Betlee or VW bus were not the fanciest but has been people's favourite.
In Europe VW were ahead of Tesla last year, it may be close this year due to VW current supply issue but i think VW will edge Tesla.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts