Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been many post about home chargers, this is about portable level 2 chargers. I have read many articles and comparisons that have been made, but I am looking for real everyday working knowledge from people who have and use portable level 2 chargers when traveling. What works best and charges the fastest. What is safe for the ID.4. We travel in areas where it is sometimes hard to find charging stations but there are always rv parks or campgrounds that are willing to allow you to plug in, sometimes for free and others with a small charge. The level 1 that comes with the car just takes to long to charge

·
38 Posts
Here is the one we use every day. It is only 16 amps (10 to 12 mph or 5% an hour) but it comes with most of the random connections I have seen at rv parks.

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
1,497 Posts
Search for Mustart Travelmaster here. Several of us use it, myself included, and have posted our opinions. 32A max, the highest I found for a unit that accepts multiple connectors.

Tesla’s unit is even nicer, but pricey, and a TeslaTap would be needed too.

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 Pro S Gradient RWD
353 Posts
I will use my WallBox when traveling. I may not need it, but it is the model with a plug so it will work at most campgrounds, RV Parks, etc. PlugShare shows a lot of locations with a 50a receptacle also. I do have a $20.00 dog bone adapter for it so I can plug it into a 30a RV connector as well.

The WallBox only weighs 8 lbs or so, it is the long cable that is heavy. I use it every day at home.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,640 Posts
My daily for my other car is a 16 amp Duosida that works at 120 or 240.

·
256 Posts

·
2,788 Posts
Tesla UMC with a set of multiple different plugs that automatically set safe continous current ratings are one of the most versatile and highest quality on the market....
It will require Tesla to J1772 adapter....but it will be nice upgrade where you can use adapter for Tesla destination charger.
Just make sure you buy adapter that is rated for 48A continous minimum...because many Tesla destination chargers are capable this current or even higher up to 80A.
Id4 will draw max 48A .
Don't get confused between peak and continous amp ratings.
Continous is 80% of peak ratings.
And many aftermarket manufacturers like to post peak numbers (unless specifically stated that advertised numbers are continous)

·
2,788 Posts
Tesla UMC with a set of multiple different plugs that automatically set safe continous current ratings are one of the most versatile and highest quality on the market....
It will require Tesla to J1772 adapter....but it will be nice upgrade where you can use adapter for Tesla destination charger.
Just make sure you buy adapter that is rated for 48A continous minimum...because many Tesla destination chargers are capable this current or even higher up to 80A.
Id4 will draw max 48A .
Don't get confused between peak and continous amp ratings.
Continous is 80% of peak ratings.
And many aftermarket manufacturers like to post peak numbers (unless specifically stated that advertised numbers are continous)

·
76 Posts
I bought the Morec Lvl2 40Amp Charger. It is a portable charger and allows me to plug into a 14-50 NEMA plug. We use this at home and the car charges at an average of 30 mph.

I also have the Tesla UMC and purchased a Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter that my wife uses to charge at her work place. We have noticed that sometimes the charging is slowed down to about 20 mph.

Both electrical outlets are equipped identically (60 Amp breaker).

·
'22 MYP, '19 Ioniq EV
465 Posts
Another vote for Tesla mobile connector. Tons of plug options, and just requires a TeslaTap for J1772 usage. Money no object, this is the way to go for up-to-32A charging. I've got this and a few plug-tips in the back and never have to worry about where I go since I'll always have the fastest adapter on hand. (5-15, 5-20, 14-30, 14-50)

Or if you're handy and not interested in buying another mobile charger, the included Level 1 unit works at 240V if you make a plug adapter for NEMA 14-30/14-50/6-20/etc. But, it will only pull 10 amps, though 240V will give you twice the speed.

·
49 Posts
There have been many post about home chargers, this is about portable level 2 chargers. I have read many articles and comparisons that have been made, but I am looking for real everyday working knowledge from people who have and use portable level 2 chargers when traveling. What works best and charges the fastest. What is safe for the ID.4. We travel in areas where it is sometimes hard to find charging stations but there are always rv parks or campgrounds that are willing to allow you to plug in, sometimes for free and others with a small charge. The level 1 that comes with the car just takes too long to charge
I had a similar requirement and looked for a charger that I could use at different 240 VAC outlets when needed. The issue is that the ID.4 will request the maximum amps that the charger can supply (up to 48A for the ID.4). The charger will deliver that request (up to its max amps) without knowing what it can safely draw from the circuit (residential, campground...) it's plugged into. The decision is therefore what amperage charger unit to buy. A low amp (16A or 24A) unit would work on most 240V circuits (with a 30A wiring/breaker), but I wanted the option to charge at higher amps (32A or 40A) if the circuit could support it. Having a 40A charger would be useless (the breaker would trip), and potentially dangerous, when only 30A circuits are available. The result was that I purchased a Grizzl-E charger. The maximum draw current can be set with DIP switches, allowing it to safely interface to most 240V circuits, and supply maximum current when available. I have used it in campgrounds, connected to dryer outlets, even a few times to an oven/range outlet. I have the Grizzl-E classic which is quite large and intended for wall mounting but has a quick release allowing some "portable" use. If your requirement is to be mostly portable, the Grizzl-E mini is better: https://grizzl-e.com/grizzl-e-mini/ With the mini you can actually change the current setting via WiFi. The Grizzl-E has been a great charger, and highly recommended. No problems. No mechanical relays to weld together. Metal case. Not made in China. Price is reasonable.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
1,241 Posts
I carry a Tesla Model 3 Gen2 MCU for my portable. 32 amps with the correct pigtail. I have the 15 amp, 30 amp and 50 amp adapters for it, so I can charge most places. I bought it new, never used on eBay from a guy who had just bought a new Model 3 and didn't think he'd ever need it . . . . :unsure:

Don

·
2,788 Posts
It is costly to have it but i cannot live it out of the thread conservation....
Tesla UMC with all plugs and adapter are my favorite portable EVSE.
And my dad in EU has deposit on Tesla Cyberpunk truck ( that will require teardown so he can get better look at what he is going to drive.....i have quite difficult family on my side).
So far Me and my sister and Dad are 50-50 EV and ICE owners....my brother on the other side is ICE or nothing.

·
49 Posts
The Tesla chargers are definitely a good option. Make sure, if you go that route, to buy a Tesla-to-j1772 adapter that supports at a minimum the full amps the ID.4 can draw (48A). Don't be tempted to save a few dollars and get a 40A, or less, version as it could be hazardous. Teslatap has 50A, 60A and 80A versions.

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
1,497 Posts
To reiterate @fiehlsport: The Tesla and Mustart Travelmaster units with smart pigtails are really nice because they remove the need to set the correct and safe max amps. The mere act of connecting a smart pigtail tells the unit to set itself correctly. I know I would someday forget to flip all the right switches. At best this would trip the breaker, at worst it would fry and melt the outlet and connector, and possibly cause a fire.

·
'22 MYP, '19 Ioniq EV
465 Posts
Out of town this weekend, charging using a NEMA 5-20 (16A @ 120V). ID.4 showing 5mph versus 3mph. Definitely helps get it charged a bit faster.
(The receptacles on the left are 5-20, right are 5-15)
Hood Automotive tire Wood Grey Bumper

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Land vehicle

1 - 20 of 104 Posts