Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
217 Posts
it is the location feature that is the problem - and it's screwing up the scheduler, which is rather weird, since you could just ignore the location.
Luckily, I have a Chargepoint, so can run it through their app...
Having the location feature is also so dumb because who's going to want to substantially change their charging times based on location? It's just like "why"

·
2021 ID.4 1st - blue, of course
8 Posts
Having the location feature is also so dumb because who's going to want to substantially change their charging times based on location? It's just like "why"
VW designing a car for VW employees :D
Europe is pushing a lot on incentivizing companies to put EV chargers in their parking lots, so if you can set charge schedules for your office and charge on your company's dime as part of your compensation, that might make EV ownership for people without access to off-street parking more appealing (however, that begs the question, what you need the scheduling for in that case...)

For all the great thinking VW does on engineering, sometimes they forget about the customer I fear... I wish the Product Owner fur the Multivan or the old group around the Sharan/Touran would have designed this car. It certainly would have a holder for my sunnies! ;)

·
114 Posts
Location-based scheduling is for those that don't charge primarily at home. When my friend visits in his Tesla from out-of-state, he plugs in and it automatically starts charging at 12:30am. When he's home or at work, it charges immediately since he doesn't have time-of-use billing.

·
ID.4 Pro S RWD
155 Posts
Anyone who has a TOU rate at home, but wants to charge immediately away from home? It's not that unusual a situation. Several grocery stores in my area have free Volta chargers, for example. If I had a schedule set up to charge only after midnight, I would plug in and get nothing. Ditto for workplaces with free charging where you want to charge during working hours. Or hotels with slow chargers where the car wouldn't be fully charged by morning if it delayed charging until non-peak hours.

Edit: It occurs to me that a much simpler approach that would handle all of these cases would be an "ignore schedule away from home" setting.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
640 Posts
VW designing a car for VW employees :D
Europe is pushing a lot on incentivizing companies to put EV chargers in their parking lots, so if you can set charge schedules for your office and charge on your company's dime as part of your compensation, that might make EV ownership for people without access to off-street parking more appealing (however, that begs the question, what you need the scheduling for in that case...)

For all the great thinking VW does on engineering, sometimes they forget about the customer I fear... I wish the Product Owner fur the Multivan or the old group around the Sharan/Touran would have designed this car. It certainly would have a holder for my sunnies! ;)
After my time w/ the BMW, I have to wonder if this is a German engineering sensibility getting in the way?

The i3 has its own scheduled charging peculiarity: If a low-rate window is set and enabled, but no departure time is set, the car won't charge. Plug it in, it handshakes, then it "goes to sleep" and that's that. It frustrates many owners who just want a charged battery, but don't necessarily have anywhere to be. And if a place-holder departure time is entered, it will unnecessarily cause the battery to be pre-heated and the cabin to be climatized, unless those functions are disabled. And as a topper, there's no way to cut off charging in that car, so it'll charge to 100% whether it's wanted or not. Unless it calculates it can't be charged to 100% by departure time, in which case charging will begin immediately, in the middle of peak pricing, even if a partial charge is ok so long as it's inside of the low-rate window.

So yeah, I'm hoping VW fixes their obvious defect, but I'm afraid even working at intended it'll be "smarter than the average user" in terms of its programed behavior.

·
34 Posts
There are a few posts about matrix lighting capability on US Pro S and First editions. There’s people saying that the capability is there, but turned off due to US regulations. But the regulations will be changing soon. And that it will be turned on. It’s in another thread somewhere here. I really hope it’s true.

That’s the one feature I want the most. All of the Audi Prestige trim models have it included, just turned off. Same with US spec VW Arteon.

·
217 Posts
Alright... isn't this week 24 or 25 now?

Consider this the Version 2.2 waiting room. :) Any day now I'm waiting for that blue "1" icon to show up next to the clock on the screen....
I would very much like to not have to go out to plug in the car at 11 pm 😂. Let's gooooo

·
ID.4 FE GW
385 Posts
I can forgive a lot of stuff, but letting cars languish without a functional feature that is expressly advertised (VW has a video on how to set it up for gods sake!) is a step too far. This fix should be a top 3 priority.
To play Devil's advocate, this is such a critical feature that VW MUST have known it was broken when they decided to sell the car. If it wasn't important enough to be fixed to make a good impression to the first reviewers and buyers, why would they bother to fix it any time soon?

Possible answer: VW may realize that they need to fix it before they run out of suckers enthusiasts to buy the car.

·
2021 1st
741 Posts
Hate that the ID.4 actually rolls backwards if you're stopped on a slight incline and let off the brake like a ICE car. It's really stupid.
It’s beyond stupid especially since VW automatics don’t roll backwards on an incline. Even their sticks have had hill hold for decades so it’s not even catering to any particular demographic.

If it wasn't important enough to be fixed to make a good impression to the first reviewers and buyers, why would they bother to fix it any time soon?

Possible answer: VW may realize that they need to fix it before they run out of suckers enthusiasts to buy the car.
They might decide there aren’t enough US owners or complaints for it to matter to their bottom line and just not ever fix it.

·
ID.4 FE GW
385 Posts
Alright... isn't this week 24 or 25 now?

Consider this the Version 2.2 waiting room. :) Any day now I'm waiting for that blue "1" icon to show up next to the clock on the screen....
I thought that version 2.2 was for the ID.3.

·
114 Posts
I thought that version 2.2 was for the ID.3.
I guess we really don't know yet, since VW doesn't publicize anything, but we are currently in-line with ID.3 on v2.1. I would expect to get the same bugfixes/feature updates they do when it releases.

Really tempted to send the emobility address a note asking about this. There is no compelling reason for them to be tight-lipped about OTA updates. At least give us a preview.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
82 Posts
I guess we really don't know yet, since VW doesn't publicize anything, but we are currently in-line with ID.3 on v2.1. I would expect to get the same bugfixes/feature updates they do when it releases.

Really tempted to send the emobility address a note asking about this. There is no compelling reason for them to be tight-lipped about OTA updates. At least give us a preview.
It's amazing how companies don't realize that transparency builds customer satisfaction. There's no need to hide what they're working on, and I'd feel better about my purchase if I knew VW had a roadmap to continual improvement.

·
217 Posts
It's amazing how companies don't realize that transparency builds customer satisfaction. There's no need to hide what they're working on, and I'd feel better about my purchase if I knew VW had a roadmap to continual improvement.
I could understand them not putting out a comprehensive list of things, in case some of the items don't get finished in time and get kicked to the next OTA. But if they're going to follow their own timeline, there realistically must be some items that are already done. It costs them 0 to release a list of items that are already completed for the next OTA.

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
82 Posts
I could understand them not putting out a comprehensive list of things, in case some of the items don't get finished in time and get kicked to the next OTA. But if they're going to follow their own timeline, there realistically must be some items that are already done. It costs them 0 to release a list of items that are already completed for the next OTA.
While I agree to the premise, it unfortunately is not how most companies outside of the software/IT realm normally do business. Tesla is transparent because they are more like a Silicon Valley software/computer company that makes EVs instead of laptops, so they are not in the same category as most, if not all, of the other auto manufacturers. The concept of OTAs in and of itself is a new concept for these older companies, let alone being transparent to the public about what is being prepped for release. Costing them nothing to release the information makes sense to us, but not to a business who has been used to keeping everything close to the vest due to competition concerns for all its existence so far.

·
46 Posts
While I agree to the premise, it unfortunately is not how most companies outside of the software/IT realm normally do business. Tesla is transparent because they are more like a Silicon Valley software/computer company that makes EVs instead of laptops, so they are not in the same category as most, if not all, of the other auto manufacturers. The concept of OTAs in and of itself is a new concept for these older companies, let alone being transparent to the public about what is being prepped for release. Costing them nothing to release the information makes sense to us, but not to a business who has been used to keeping everything close to the vest due to competition concerns for all its existence so far.
If they can show a concept car that has features that are 5 years out from production, they can list some software fixes/features that are going to be released imminently.

·
91 Posts
It’s not imminent they’ve basically confirmed that the next ota release will be the second week of September

·
87 Posts
Another thought -- how about incremental updates? Why hold back individual updates and fixes that are ready to go?

I use Linux on my laptop and there is a constant stream of updates for individual packages. I regularly update every few weeks and could easily do it more often.

And, an interesting byproduct of doing it this way is that if there is an issue that arises from an update, it is easier and faster to isolate it and fix the problem, or revert to the prior version, than to try to run down what item out of dozens or hundreds is causing the problem.

I know that cars aren't laptops, but today's cars do depend on a lot of computer power. It'd be nice if they could take a couple of hints that might benefit both them and their customers.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts