Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Interesting. One wonders if VW will prioritize allocation to their EV's over ICE models because of penalties associated with air quality standards. And continue giving priority to EU production over US. Could the US ID.4 be delayed until the TN plant comes on line? VW might see this as desirable as it would bring ID.4 availability congruent with Audi Q4 e-tron and Porsche Macan EV. At present, some US buyers may be opting for a loaded ID.4 that would have otherwise gone for the upper-line models. I'm among that group.

I am actually wondering if the Hyundai Ioniq 5 to be honest. I would like to stick with the ID.4 but our little Jetta might not corporate.

I am actually wondering if the Hyundai Ioniq 5 to be honest. I would like to stick with the ID.4 but our little Jetta might not corporate.
I would want to be sure that Hyundai had the bearing issues fixed before I looked at them seriously.

2017 Chevrolet Bolt, 1994 Nissan 300ZX
I would want to be sure that Hyundai had the bearing issues fixed before I looked at them seriously.
Not sure how connecting rod bearing issues in a gasoline engine would have any meaning for an electric motor powered vehicle. For now, since I want AWD my top contender is the ID.4 with Ioniq 5 a potential strong contender depending on features, price, delivery dates, etc. Will do a comparision of both when Ioniq is announced.

Not sure how connecting rod bearing issues in a gasoline engine would have any meaning for an electric motor powered vehicle. For now, since I want AWD my top contender is the ID.4 with Ioniq 5 a potential strong contender depending on features, price, delivery dates, etc. Will do a comparision of both when Ioniq is announced.
Apparently they are having issues with bearings in the electric motor drive train.

2017 Chevrolet Bolt, 1994 Nissan 300ZX

This is an issue that effects the manufacturing of all vehicles, not just VW and not just electric vehicles. Whether it will impact the timing of the early ID.4s to the US will depend on VW鈥檚 decisions based on where to best allocate there limited resources. It is possible that China will see more of an impact but that remains to be seen.

2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
We are a drop in the bucket, but I'm curious to see how VW manages through this respective to First Edition units. Moving us to Step 2 hopefully would have meant they had a reasonable path forward to delivery. But with their dependency on third parties in the supply chain (Continental, Bosch), there could be things outside their control.

Team Keogh is going to need to avoid bumbling communication.

Apparently they are having issues with bearings in the electric motor drive train.
I had a Hyundai Kona Electric with this same issue. A consistent clicking sound at low speeds. I got it checked a couple of times and the dealerships would say its an expected noise from an ev. Eventually they had to buy back the car after a failed battery software update.

I had a Hyundai Kona Electric with this same issue. A consistent clicking sound at low speeds. I got it checked a couple of times and the dealerships would say its an expected noise from an ev. Eventually they had to buy back the car after a failed battery software update.
Wow, not good for Hyundai/Kia. I would avoid Hyundai/Kia because of brake problems from their inception to now.

I test drove a brand new 2016 Ford Mustang with manual transmission that had a synchro problem. I searched the forums and found out that the Chinese made manual transmissions that Ford used in their mustangs didn鈥檛 last past 30k miles. I wouldn鈥檛 consider a Ford Mach E as I am hesitant of the quality of parts used by Ford.

I test drove a Tesla 3 and didn鈥檛 like it. The turning radius is terrible on Teslas compared to VW and I don鈥檛 care to rack up speeding tickets because the manufacturer is too cheap to put a speedometer dead and center.

I received email from Dallas, TX area dealer yesterday. They wrote that they expect ID4 1st edition orders to roll out in March, and Pro editions to arrive shortly thereafter.

I received email from Dallas, TX area dealer yesterday. They wrote that they expect ID4 1st edition orders to roll out in March, and Pro editions to arrive shortly thereafter.
Received a text from my dealer in McKinney with the same info. Not sure what "shortly thereafter" means though.

Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
I always figured April for the Pro and that's Spring-weather fine by me. ;) (y)

Happy Holidays All 馃巺馃ざ

At the rate things are going there may be solid state batteries available before delivery of the ID4. Only kidding but the longer it takes for shipment the shorter the time frame to a much improved battery.

So far, experience is that median EV range has been doubling about every three years. So, think 500 miles in three years. I think that will necessitate solid state batteries. In the interim, improvements in battery chemistry and drivetrain efficiency would indicate 300 miles 03/02 and 350 miles in 03/03. Solid state batteries will be a step change jump to 500 miles in 03/04. I'm basing my decisions on that crystal ball.

I've been reading the posts on this site over the last few weeks, but just finally joined so that I could post a question. I made a reservation in mid-October for an ID.4 Pro, and I know that I'll be behind the First Editions, but has anyone even confirmed their order yet and paid the additional $400? I know they've been producing these for a few months now, but other than the article at the start of this thread, I haven't been able to find much else in terms of when the U.S. will start to receive the first deliveries. I figure that if March is an accurate timeframe for First Editions to start showing up, someone should have confirmed their order by now?

I have not and not received any updates on reservation to date. I am, however, down for AWD version so I might be delayed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts