Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Discussion Starter #1
I have no insider information but I think there will be another e-mail of "Last chance to reserve a First Edition" after some of the cancellations start to roll in from people who are waiting to find out about what happens with taxes for Tesla, end up with a Bolt EUV or just end up not liking it after a test drive. If you live in a large market, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the dealers start to find themselves with a handful of FEs on their lots that they want to get rid of and you may have a little more negotiating power than if you ordered directly.

I'm basing this off the fact that I still haven't gotten an e-mail to lock in my Pro RWD reservation that I made in January after I made the stupid mistake of cancelling my original. May be another bite at the apple for VW to get some people to switch from Pro to FE, which I would give serious consideration.

1st Edition - Arriving in US
My hunch is that FE cancellations and other units manufactured without reservations will be made available to dealers. Incentives to dealers to take on inventory could make some negotiation possible when you see them on the lot.

Reactions: LittleJoe and Geo

My hunch is that FE cancellations and other units manufactured without reservations will be made available to dealers.
Agreed. I think you'll also see the dealer demo FEs for sale at some point down the road.

2019 Tiguan SE 2016 Jetta Sport
I understand that some "need" a car ASAP, or maybe they just want a car ASAP, and so they plunk down a deposit for one of the first. But doing so, takes away some of your negotiation power because you have made a commitment and have at least implied that the price is not (that) important to you. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to do that, but if price is important to you, you would do better to wait a bit and purchase from dealer stock.

I understand that some "need" a car ASAP, or maybe they just want a car ASAP, and so they plunk down a deposit for one of the first. But doing so, takes away some of your negotiation power because you have made a commitment and have at least implied that the price is not (that) important to you. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to do that, but if price is important to you, you would do better to wait a bit and purchase from dealer stock.
I'm thinking that there are wait lists for ID4s at some dealers already.

On the other hand, some cars actually get marked up eg corvette, even the Kona ev were for a while

It's correct, actually.
I am very appreciative of the insightful auto knowledge of everyone who posts here since I am pretty ignorant of cars and need the advice. I can speak with more confidence that the VERY common mistake of replacing lose with loose was incorrect. Loose vs. Lose Happy to return the favor!
Keep up the auto insights!

"Loose" here is the uncommonly used verb synonym of "release."

Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition arrived port-USA
Loose an allocation is fine by me. After all, from iron men & wooden ship maritime era there is the age old command to loose a cannon (fire a round).

And of course from the same vintage the "loose cannon" idiom for an out of control individual, but that's a whole nuther context. Although applied to VW's lack of communications .... 馃お

Usually, loose is used as an adjective and lose is a verb. At least in the modern vernacular.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts