Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like my local dealer charges a $995 dealer fee. I am not going to pay that for a car I am buying at MSRP. Also, If the $400 deposit is not refundable, I will want an out the door price before I hand over the money. The VW website almost implies that you deal directly with them instead of the dealer. Am I reading that right? I did find one dealer in Indianapolis with no dealer fee, Falcone...long drive from Florida.

·
22 Posts
The $100 + $400 is supposed to be totally refundable. We'll find out I suppose.

If the dealer is forcing a "dealer fee" I'd have no issue walking away either. I would then find a different VW dealer, or walk away from VW all together.

I'm sure we'll hear our fair share of dealer horror stories in the near future.

·
4 Posts
All offers are being handled by VW. Terms are with VW and the dealerships are only delivery stops. That’s what I was told by a sales manager I know. Guess we’ll find out in a few months if that is true.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
106 Posts
The $100 and $400 are fully refundable. I cancelled a reservation with VW for a Launch Edition Beetle in 2011. I cancelled with VW and received my fee/deposit from VW within a few days.

As for final negotiations, they are with the dealer. Volkswagen is making a big bet that they will be on the up-and up and Scott K made a point that they will be watching out during his dealer call.

A dealer fee is crazy shenanigans!

·
91 Posts
My dealer told me no markup and the doc fees will be as normal with any other vehicle.
VW has stated $500 is fully refundable at anytime. Even if your sitting ready to sign papers and change your mind. They will sell car in 5 min that’s why they do a reservation.

·
124 Posts
Well it looks like my local dealer charges a $995 dealer fee. I am not going to pay that for a car I am buying at MSRP. Also, If the $400 deposit is not refundable, I will want an out the door price before I hand over the money. The VW website almost implies that you deal directly with them instead of the dealer. Am I reading that right? I did find one dealer in Indianapolis with no dealer fee, Falcone...long drive from Florida.
As people start to report out the door prices (OTD) later, we might find some paying a lower price, some folks are just better at this game. However, I suspect far less variation for this new EV model, especially since we are early adopters. The fine print says there will be dealer's fees. The $100/$400 is also listed as fully refundable (might be weeks, but you can get it back).

Here's the note from the reservation page (this is a very strange process, apparently a hybrid of Tesla online ordering with the VW dealers): "1 Starting MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) excludes transportation, taxes, title, other options, and dealer charges. Dealer sets actual price. Specifications, equipment, options, and prices are subject to change without notice. Some items may be unavailable when vehicle is built. Ask your dealer about availability of options and verify that the vehicle includes the equipment you ordered."

·
10 Posts
Well it looks like my local dealer charges a $995 dealer fee.
Which configuration did you reserve? The 1st Edition? I can see how dealers think they can get away with charging a $995 dealer fee if the car is a 1st edition. Dealers who do this are probably gambling that the customer has inelastic demand for the car. I reserved a Pro; hopefully, my dealer won't try tacking on a dealer fee. If they do, I'm walking away and I'll find another EV.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
106 Posts
Dealers who do this are probably gambling that the customer has inelastic demand for the car.
There wouldn't be much gamble at all. One of the salespeople would keep it for themselves.

·
69 Posts
When Redline Review posted their quick review of the ID4 a few days ago he mentioned that there where over 4,000 pre-orders in the US. Not sure when he recorded the video but that isn't very high considering it is $100 deposit that is refundable. I really hope that dealers don't try to jack up the price based on that low of pre-orders.

To me the pricing of the standard Pro model and what VW is trying to compete with would indicate people cross shopping. Which seems to be the opposite of most Tesla owners. Trying to get my dad to consider the ID4 but he is stuck on getting the Model 3

·
91 Posts
Don’t worry. There have been many dealers saying no markup. I spoke to mine a couple of times as did many people on this forum. I was worried initially too!

·
10 Posts
I checked with Bert Smith in St Pete (my dealer) and they are not charging any markup or fees beyond tax, tag, registration fees. Might want to reach out if you’re close to Tampa Bay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts