Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
34 Posts
We've seen ID.4's in the "wilds" of Tennessee and California. We'll see how it goes.

Drew18 and I are in WA, a ZEV state, so we are likely to take delivery in our midwinter.
Please share your experience after you’ve used it

·
9 Posts
I had an email exchange with e-mobilty. Key Excerpts below:

e-mobility: In our testing we haven’t seen enough benefit from the heat pump to include it (yet) we will continue to test this option especially as software matures to utilize the full potential of such hardware, and eventual local production of ID. 4. We would have included the heat pump if we saw enough benefit - we are absolutely committed to the customer experience with the ID. 4 hence why we are continuing to optimize range, and have included 3 years of DC fast charging at no-cost, to give some solace to anyone with range anxiety.

My response: given its standard in Europe and Canada, I have to say I’m puzzled why it would be a benefit there and not in the northern parts of the US.

e-mobility: We made the decision in those markets prior to having any test results, so if it was a large benefit we wouldn’t miss the boat for markets like Canada and Norway where they need it most.
The faulty logic here is treating the entire US as one homogenous market. I'm pretty sure that someone in far northeastern Vermont or Maine will get much more utility out of the heat pump than someone in southern California or even Vancouver. Furthermore, using the reasoning of 3 years of free Electrify America charging to relieve range anxiety is not genuine since the aforementioned areas in the US that have cold climates also do not have well developed fast charging infrastructure yet. Also, the fast charging speed can be significantly reduced in cold weather. In any case, it's always better to use the energy you have available more efficiently than relying on an external source to replenish your high energy use. Given the other features that were cut for the US market, it's pretty clear to me that the heat pump was excluded for profit considerations only. It's hard to justify it otherwise when even VW's previous EV in the US, the much cheaper e-Golf, had a heat pump from day 1.

·
4 Posts
Mainer here with a 1st Edition reservation. I really hope they have a chance to rethink this. If they can put it in a Canadian VW I really hope they can put it in mine. I'll happily pay extra for that feature.

·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
VW (VWoA) should definitely should offer an ID.4 cold climate trim/model. Heated everything, included the front window, and a heat pump! If it needs to include AWD, so be it. A wide swath of the northern U.S. actually has harsher winter climate compared with Canadian cities and population centers near the lakes or the ocean.

·
33 Posts
VW (VWoA) should definitely should offer an ID.4 cold climate trim/model. Heated everything, included the front window, and a heat pump! If it needs to include AWD, so be it. A wide swath of the northern U.S. actually has harsher winter climate compared with Canadian cities and population centers near the lakes or the ocean.
Totally agree, but it doesn’t look like it’s happening. I spoke with Dustin Krause, VWoA’s e-mobility director, and he stated it wouldn’t even be an option. As mentioned earlier in this thread, perhaps we can turn the tide on their position if enough people press them via social media and email.

·
9 Posts
Mainer here with a 1st Edition reservation. I really hope they have a chance to rethink this. If they can put it in a Canadian VW I really hope they can put it in mine. I'll happily pay extra for that feature.
Unfortunately, it's not going to happen. I'm not comfortable paying this much for an EV without a heat pump since much cheaper ones have it. I'm 99% sure I'm cancelling my 1st Edition and either leasing a Niro EV with heat pump for ~25% less or get one of one of the crazy lease deals on the Bolt EV that would be at least 50% less than the lease on an ID4. Hopefully in 3 years the likes of VW, Hyundai, and Chevy will deem the US market worthy enough to at least give the option of a heat pump. I'm still especially peeved at VW because they actually removed the heat pump compared to their previous generation EV (the e-Golf in the US had one), unlike the other manufacturers who never offered one in the first place.

·
11 Posts
I have a reservation for a id4 1st edition. I live in socal and currently have a hyundai kona ev which does not have a heat pump. Honestly even in the mild winters here the heating was subpar compared to my gas car. The wife and kids would always complain since it would take quite a while for the heat to build up and the heat would cycle every now and then. I can only imagine how bad it could get for those places with colder winters. I hope that the resistance heater in the id4 will perform better and be more efficient than the kona.

·
34 Posts
They should at least make it available for people ordering AWD to begin with. The package costs money and they should have folded that in.
Totally agree, but it doesn’t look like it’s happening. I spoke with Dustin Krause, VWoA’s e-mobility director, and he stated it wouldn’t even be an option. As mentioned earlier in this thread, perhaps we can turn the tide on their position if enough people press them via social media and email.
My conversation above was with Dustin also

·
11 Posts
While I am not hopeful, I also wrote an email to VW and tweeted them to inquire about the heating pump. It is cold here during the winter.

·
9 Posts

e-mobility: In our testing we haven’t seen enough benefit from the heat pump to include it (yet) we will continue to test this option especially as software matures to utilize the full potential of such hardware, and eventual local production of ID. 4. We would have included the heat pump if we saw enough benefit - we are absolutely committed to the customer experience with the ID. 4 hence why we are continuing to optimize range, and have included 3 years of DC fast charging at no-cost, to give some solace to anyone with range anxiety.

My response: given its standard in Europe and Canada, I have to say I’m puzzled why it would be a benefit there and not in the northern parts of the US.

e-mobility: We made the decision in those markets prior to having any test results, so if it was a large benefit we wouldn’t miss the boat for markets like Canada and Norway where they need it most.
I just literally got the same response from the US e-mobility head. For every missing option I inquired about (heat pump, heads up display, 360 camera, and 3D design taillights) I was told that those options are not mature enough for the US market. Um...what!? I guess thank you to our European cousins for beta testing the cooler features of the car for us 😆

·
33 Posts
I just literally got the same response from the US e-mobility head. For every missing option I inquired about (heat pump, heads up display, 360 camera, and 3D design taillights) I was told that those options are not mature enough for the US market. Um...what!? I guess thank you to our European cousins for beta testing the cooler features of the car for us 😆
I’ll wait to see what the vehicle is like via a test drive (since I wouldn’t get a Pro w/ AWD until mid-2021), but it seems the U.S. is getting a stripped down version of what Europe (and even Canada) will. Very disappointing.

·
4 Posts
For me it’s been a series of disappointments. I really liked the ID.3 and then learned it wasn’t coming to the US. I wanted a four wheel drive option and am told to wait. I had hoped that VW would focus on efficiency only to find out that the initial real world testing is yielding little surprising. If the head up display isn’t going to happen and the heat pump as well, the car has lost a lot of its appeal for me.

The car is good looking and I like the interior but I find the colors are rather dull. I am sure it is roomy, quiet and handles well.

But I am going to wait. There are going to be many new evs coming out in the next year or so and I want to consider them all.

·
19 Posts
The two feature packages offered have little appeal to me. A cold weather package with the heat pump and back seat heaters along with heated windshield, mirrors, wipers would be great. Some of these are in the base package, but not needed in the sun belt. An electronics package with the bigger center screen, HUD, 360 camera, better lights would be great. I would pay $3K for either of these.

·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

VW UK claims 30% gain with the ID.4 heat pump (seems high, would have guessed 15% to 20%)
Impressive range: the heat pump in the ID.4, ID.4 heated seats, In the new, fully-electric ID.4, an optional heat pump ensures energy-efficient heating of the interior. This requires less power from the battery. The benefit: up to 30% greater range in winter.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts