Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have had the car for about a week now, but I still have not been able to connect to the Android Auto on two phones I have (one running on Android 9 and another running on Android 10 - the latest version). When I go through the pairing process through the bluetooth process, both phones connected to the car without any issue with functions for phone, contact, media, etc. But it won't connect to maps and the Google Assist!

I went back to the dealer, a salesman helped me do it again by disconnecting the pairing and reloading the Android Auto app, it still is not working. What was interesting is the car connected to HIS phone (I think it is a Samsung something) without any issue.

Any suggestions? I am thinking of getting a c to c usb cable to plug the phones in to try again, but wonder if anyone has encountered similar problems and has a solution?

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
435 Posts
I know on my older car, pre CarPlay/AA, I had to link/pair my BT audio separate from my bluetooth phone. If you paired as a phone first, it would make BT audio pairing not automatic. So it might be related to the specific order that you link things. Maybe doing a rain dance first might help too ;)

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both! I suspected, but your answers confirmed my suspicion. Will report back after I get a cable from the store.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know on my older car, pre CarPlay/AA, I had to link/pair my BT audio separate from my bluetooth phone. If you paired as a phone first, it would make BT audio pairing not automatic. So it might be related to the specific order that you link things. Maybe doing a rain dance first might help too ;)
I am in Seattle area. Rain is not an issue :)

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
393 Posts
As mmcbtx suspects, these are the system requirements to use Android Auto wirelessly, direct from Google:

A compatible Android phone with an active data plan, 5 GHz Wi-Fi support, and the latest version of the Android Auto app. Wireless projection is compatible with these Android versions:
  • Any phone with Android 11.0.
  • A Google or Samsung phone with Android 10.0.
  • A Samsung Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, or Note 8, with Android 9.0.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As mmcbtx suspects, these are the system requirements to use Android Auto wirelessly, direct from Google:

A compatible Android phone with an active data plan, 5 GHz Wi-Fi support, and the latest version of the Android Auto app. Wireless projection is compatible with these Android versions:
  • Any phone with Android 11.0.
  • A Google or Samsung phone with Android 10.0.
  • A Samsung Galaxy S8, Galaxy S8+, or Note 8, with Android 9.0.
Thank you! Really appreciate the help. I won't spend time pulling my hair out trying to do it without a cable!

·
ID 4 First Edition - Black
56 Posts
My pixel 4a works perfectly on Wifi and via cable. Older phones may require a usb cable to interface.

My issue is that once in android auto mode the volume down works but the volume Up doesnt work... at all. If i disconnect i can increase the volume, reconnect and it holds. But this is bad.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to update. So I bought a C to C cable and plugged my phone to the car's USB C. The recognized the phone on the Android Auto app, progress. I was able to get Android Auto on, but it seems to have been accidental. When I unplugged it from the car, Android Auto stopped immediately. OK, I get that, but when I tried to reconnect. It didn't work anymore. I then exited the car and got back in, replugged it into the car, it was still not working. Looks like a rain dance is needed either from me or from VW.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My pixel 4a works perfectly on Wifi and via cable. Older phones may require a usb cable to interface.

My issue is that once in android auto mode the volume down works but the volume Up doesnt work... at all. If i disconnect i can increase the volume, reconnect and it holds. But this is bad.
Good to know, Kiernangs. Thanks for the post.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
732 Posts

I was kind of stunned when I saw it the first time - I had previously used AA in a rental, and it was frankly a pain in the neck with needing to connect the cable, lack of voice commands, and the need to re-launch AA from the headunit each time I started the car.

But in the ID.4, this thing just automatically works in wireless mode. I just put the phone in the charging slot when I get in the car, and AA automatically comes up on the headunit without having to interact with it. And if I want to navigate somewhere, I can use voice.

·
ID 4 First Edition - Black
56 Posts
Just to update. So I bought a C to C cable and plugged my phone to the car's USB C. The recognized the phone on the Android Auto app, progress. I was able to get Android Auto on, but it seems to have been accidental. When I unplugged it from the car, Android Auto stopped immediately. OK, I get that, but when I tried to reconnect. It didn't work anymore. I then exited the car and got back in, replugged it into the car, it was still not working. Looks like a rain dance is needed either from me or from VW.
I edited my home screen to add the "app-Connect" button which is the launcher button for android auto and apple car-play. This makes it easier to quickly initiate connection if it isnt automatic.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
84 Posts
I then exited the car and got back in, replugged it into the car, it was still not working. Looks like a rain dance is needed either from me or from VW.
Try going into android auto under app connect and tapping your phone in the list.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
393 Posts
I was kind of stunned when I saw it the first time - I had previously used AA in a rental, and it was frankly a pain in the neck with needing to connect the cable...

...But in the ID.4, this thing just automatically works in wireless mode...
Agreed, wireless Android Auto is a game changer. Coincidentally, I backed an Indiegogo project called AAWireless and received the device just days ago, so installed it in my Ford Flex the same day I set up my phone in the ID.4.

I've been using Android Auto for years now in the Flex, and the cable connection has always been the sore spot. Sometimes there's a tuft of lint in the charge port creating an intermittent connection. Sometimes the cable just drops out. Other times somebody in the back seat needs my phone for a minute and I have to unplug it, disconnecting everything. And if I was trying to play an audio file directly off the device, I'd have to disconnect Android Auto for that to work.

With wireless all that nonsense is forgotten, and using Android Auto has instantly become an afterthought. I'm diggin' it.

·
10 Posts
OK, I have had the car for about a week now, but I still have not been able to connect to the Android Auto on two phones I have (one running on Android 9 and another running on Android 10 - the latest version). When I go through the pairing process through the bluetooth process, both phones connected to the car without any issue with functions for phone, contact, media, etc. But it won't connect to maps and the Google Assist!

I went back to the dealer, a salesman helped me do it again by disconnecting the pairing and reloading the Android Auto app, it still is not working. What was interesting is the car connected to HIS phone (I think it is a Samsung something) without any issue.

Any suggestions? I am thinking of getting a c to c usb cable to plug the phones in to try again, but wonder if anyone has encountered similar problems and has a solution?
Yes I am having that issue having the car for a week now love everything but the infotainment system has several bugs one of them is android auto I have had to use the USB cable but lately it is telling me that phone is not connected

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
152 Posts
you can enable auto start through AA or select APP connect on your menu in your id4

·
10 Posts
You can enable auto start through AA or select APP connect on your menu in your id4
I know what you mean now think the infotainment system is really slow not even the hand gestures work I am not on it at the moment outed today I was able to connect my phone wireless thanks to this post on another page here, and it works much better now

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update 2: I was able to connect to Android Auto via an usb line, but it won't display the map or any other icons that Android Auto has. So it is still basically useless. :oops::unsure:

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
I was able to connect my Nokia 7.1 phone running Android 10 phone to Android Auto wirelessly by following the notes here:

Short recap:
- Enable development settings in the Android Auto app by opening the app on phone, tapping settings, scrolling down until you see “version,” and then tapping on “version” quickly ~5 times
(can also get there in phone's main settings, then select the AA app there)
  • Enter Development Settings (via 3 dots menu in top right)
  • Select “Add wireless projection to settings”
  • Reboot phone
  • Start AA on head unit again and connect

1 - 20 of 39 Posts