Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
446 Posts
There's a rain dance right there!

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I was able to connect my Nokia 7.1 phone running Android 10 phone to Android Auto wirelessly by following the notes here:

Short recap:
- Enable development settings in the Android Auto app by opening the app on phone, tapping settings, scrolling down until you see “version,” and then tapping on “version” quickly ~5 times
(can also get there in phone's main settings, then select the AA app there)
  • Enter Development Settings (via 3 dots menu in top right)
  • Select “Add wireless projection to settings”
  • Reboot phone
  • Start AA on head unit again and connect
My phone is running on Android 9, so the tapping is slightly different. I tapped it multiple times and saw the version text. I then tabbed that part of the screen and got a message saying you are three times before developer setting. So I did it three times and that gave me the option on the three dots. Just restarted the phone and I home it works now. Thanks for the tip!

·
10 Posts
I was able to connect my Nokia 7.1 phone running Android 10 phone to Android Auto wirelessly by following the notes here:

Short recap:
- Enable development settings in the Android Auto app by opening the app on phone, tapping settings, scrolling down until you see “version,” and then tapping on “version” quickly ~5 times
(can also get there in phone's main settings, then select the AA app there)
  • Enter Development Settings (via 3 dots menu in top right)
  • Select “Add wireless projection to settings”
  • Reboot phone
  • Start AA on head unit again and connect
thank you these instructions had help a lot it works like a champ love the car even more now the ID4 navigation it is also great because the guiding lights

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My phone is running on Android 9, so the tapping is slightly different. I tapped it multiple times and saw the version text. I then tapped that part of the screen and got a message saying you are three times before developer setting. So I did it three times and that gave me the option on the three dots. Just restarted the phone and I hope it works now. Thanks for the tip!
Follow-up: No, it's still not working. I need a new phone or a rain dance :-(

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
457 Posts
I have a oneplus 6t fwiw...
I see there's an android 11 rom for the 6T floating around as of last week. Shouldn't affect usb convectivity, but you running it?

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I gave up. I can connect to bluetooth without any problem, but android auto is not working as it requires a wifi connection. When my phone gets to the wifi page, it defaults to Verizon. I have T-mobile. I know my salesman had a Samsung Galaxy 20 or something like that, he was able to tab the three dots on the top right and given an option of bypassing Verizon, but my page doesn't give me that option. So I am stuck by VW's default to Verizon. Maybe I should start another track to draw VW's attention.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
89 Posts
Reactions: theboomr

·
457 Posts
I gave up. I can connect to bluetooth without any problem, but android auto is not working as it requires a wifi connection. When my phone gets to the wifi page, it defaults to Verizon. I have T-mobile. I know my salesman had a Samsung Galaxy 20 or something like that, he was able to tab the three dots on the top right and given an option of bypassing Verizon, but my page doesn't give me that option. So I am stuck by VW's default to Verizon. Maybe I should start another track to draw VW's attention.
I think you're chasing rainbows trying to get Android 9 working with wireless AA. The ID.4's Verizon convectivity and your phone-to-car wifi connection have nothing to do with each other. I don't recall if you said you got the USB connected AA working?

Edit to note that when connecting Android 11 to AA Wireless, the user end setup only involves the BT connection. The phone and car then negotiate the wifi connection, and that part is invisible to the user.

·
5 Posts
No I'm not. I have the T-Mobile version but it's unlocked now. I've been afraid to mess with "non authorized" upgrades but it may be worth it. At this point not being able to use USB or Bluetooth for AA is a bummer. My 2018 Leaf was at least able to use the USB for Android auto...

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I think you're chasing rainbows trying to get Android 9 working with wireless AA. The ID.4's Verizon convectivity and your phone-to-car wifi connection have nothing to do with each other. I don't recall if you said you got the USB connected AA working?

Edit to note that when connecting Android 11 to AA Wireless, the user end setup only involves the BT connection. The phone and car then negotiate the wifi connection, and that part is invisible to the user.
No, I have not updated on the USB connection part. The USB connection shows working, but nothing shows up on screen other than the speech function when I can see the mic icon on the car screen with the google dance. Other than that, it is just a black screen with nothing on. Again when I check the phone, it always defaults to the Verizon landing page.

·
457 Posts
The only scenario I can imagine is the car is directing your phone to they page to subscribe to the hot spot.

If you delete the phone from the car's Bluetooth menu, and delete the car from your phone Bluetooth menu, then turn off both Bluetooth and wifi (or just switch on airplane mode), check to see if it's the USB connection driving you to this Verizon page.

I'm thinking a clean USB connection can only cause your phone to be seen as a drive, and start up wired AA. I can see Android 9 causing AA Wireless not to function, but I can't imagine it would totally throw Google for a loop and cause all to go haywire.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The only scenario I can imagine is the car is directing your phone to they page to subscribe to the hot spot.

If you delete the phone from the car's Bluetooth menu, and delete the car from your phone Bluetooth menu, then turn off both Bluetooth and wifi (or just switch on airplane mode), check to see if it's the USB connection driving you to this Verizon page.

I'm thinking a clean USB connection can only cause your phone to be seen as a drive, and start up wired AA. I can see Android 9 causing AA Wireless not to function, but I can't imagine it would totally throw Google for a loop and cause all to go haywire.
Hmm... I did it a couple of times, but perhaps not clear ALL caches. I will try it again. Thanks!

·
71 Posts
My phone is running on Android 9, so the tapping is slightly different. I tapped it multiple times and saw the version text. I then tabbed that part of the screen and got a message saying you are three times before developer setting. So I did it three times and that gave me the option on the three dots. Just restarted the phone and I home it works now. Thanks for the tip!
Hey so not sure if it's been answered or you figured it out but Android 9 does not support wireless android auto you must use a wired connection for it. Thats why you're having issues

What is the exact model of your phone?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hey so not sure if it's been answered or you figured it out but Android 9 does not support wireless android auto you must use a wired connection for it. Thats why you're having issues

What is the exact model of your phone?

Thanks. My phone is a Huawei Mate 10 Pro, a coupe of years old already. BUT I was able to get to the Android Auto developer page and launch the the wireless AA from there. It connects wirelessly. Typically I do use a C to C connector, though, and it still won't work. It appears the main issue is not AA or something else. It appears to be the Verizon landing page that prevents the phone to talk with the car effectively, even the bluetooth and other functions (calls, contacts, etc.) seem to work. One post suggested stopping the "limited wifi option" on AA, I did try it and it still lands on the Verizon page no matter what I do. My current plan is to get a new phone with wireless charging to take advantage of the ID's wireless charging function, which is another topic.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
754 Posts
Thanks. My phone is a Huawei Mate 10 Pro, a coupe of years old already. BUT I was able to get to the Android Auto developer page and launch the the wireless AA from there. It connects wirelessly. Typically I do use a C to C connector, though, and it still won't work. It appears the main issue is not AA or something else. It appears to be the Verizon landing page that prevents the phone to talk with the car effectively, even the bluetooth and other functions (calls, contacts, etc.) seem to work. One post suggested stopping the "limited wifi option" on AA, I did try it and it still lands on the Verizon page no matter what I do. My current plan is to get a new phone with wireless charging to take advantage of the ID's wireless charging function, which is another topic.
Where are you getting the Verizon landing page? On your phone, or the headunit?

When I get in the car, I don't really touch the phone - just put it it in the tray and leave it there. From the headunit, select Android Auto and the map comes up. But my understanding is that it effectively causes the phone to connect to the car's WiFi, as that's the only way in which the phone can deliver the amount of data required to drive the map on the headunit.

That being said, if I were to pick up the phone and attempt to open a browser, I am not sure what I would get. Theoretically the phone could talk over a 4G connection, or it could attempt to use WiFi, which could result in the Verizon landing pad. But my 30-day trial of the hotspot thing has come and gone, so the hotspot is unlikely to work for general purpose web surfing.

·
71 Posts
So digging into it their is currently a bug that was introduced that causes the issues you describe, people are not able to get past the in car wifi carrier page and it will not let them connect wirelessly. Google is investigating a fix but there's no ETA yet on when it'll be pushed out

If ya wanna fill this form out and submit it to google they're your best help at the moment

21 - 39 of 39 Posts