Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ID.4 being built that I just threw in the protection and convenience package for because why now. My dealer just called me to say they have an identical build they’d sell me, but it doesn’t have the protection and convenience package. Further, he said they can’t add this because it is factory isntalled. Isn’t it just basically floor mats and a trunk liner? Why can’t they throw this in? Can I do it myself later? What am I missing?

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
Yes, everything in this package may be added after the fact, so I would take the bird in the hand. The salesperson is apparently just citing the technicality that the option package itself cannot be added, but again the items themselves may be later added.

Personally I later added the Monster & Muddy Buddy mats/liner (no blocks) and the EV roadside kit. I already had an Audi hand-me-down first aid kit.
Font Rectangle Art Brand Graphics

·
2023 ID.4 AWD Pro S
64 Posts
I have an ID.4 being built that I just threw in the protection and convenience package for because why now. My dealer just called me to say they have an identical build they’d sell me, but it doesn’t have the protection and convenience package. Further, he said they can’t add this because it is factory isntalled. Isn’t it just basically floor mats and a trunk liner? Why can’t they throw this in? Can I do it myself later? What am I missing?
If i
The protection package is nice, but take the car and enjoy it saving $ by not going to the pumps. Weathertech makes mats and check aliexpress as well.
Went with LAZFIT front / rear and muddy buddy (weathertech) in the cargo area. Works great.

·
61 Posts
In hindsight, I personally wouldn’t bother with adding the protection and convenience package to the car’s order for several reasons...
1. Once it’s added to the order, you can’t pay for it separately (I.e. to reduce your registration value).
2. Ordering it in advance did not hold the price that I thought I was paying for the package. The dealership would not budge on the $46 price discrepancy... saying VW sets the price... VW said the dealership sets the price... and in thinking that you are getting a better price by ordering it in advance, apparently that’s not necessarily the case. The package price changed between the date I added the package to my order (June 2021) and the date I received the car... and no one was holding to the original order price... nor could I now remove the package from the purchase price...
3. It took 16.25 months for me to receive my 2021 id.4 AWD Pro S - which I received in April this year... so just a few months before the 2022s and 2023s began delivering... and as I watched so many of the exact same color and model get delivered ahead of my own (despite an order date of December 2020), I am convinced it was some silly item in the protection and convenience package that wasn’t available yet and my car was held back on its delivery because of some supply chain issue for an element of this package...
4. I was really disappointed by the “monster” mats and would have preferred to have seen them in advance of purchasing... in my opinion, they are pretty wimpy and not at all the quality of monster mats that had been provided with my 2017 VW Alltrack. The first aid kit was also not as robust as what I was provided with the Alltrack... which I regret not keeping... but that’s whole nother issue?!
5. And yes, you can purchase these items after you purchase the car.... and for all the reasons above, I think you are better off doing so then...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts