Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have the ID 4 yet. My order isn't even locked. I had a question about navigation on the ID 4. I know Tesla's will notify you that your battery is low and show you a route to the nearest charging station. Does the ID 4 software do the same? Does it notify you when your battery is low and automatically show you a route to the nearest charging station? When you type in a destination, does the ID 4 automatically show you where you should stop on the route to charge most efficiently?

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
1,338 Posts
You get a yellow battery warning at 20% state of charge left, and a red one at 10% state of charge, but no automatic routing to nearby chargers. But then, I never use the native navigation and instead rely on Apple Maps in CarPlay. For charge stops, it is either A Better Route Planner or Plugshare, possibly the Electrify America app. For full route planning with charge stops, it is A Better Route Planner.

VW OS 3.x, due out this summer, might change things. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,718 Posts
I do not have the ID 4 yet. My order isn't even locked. I had a question about navigation on the ID 4. I know Tesla's will notify you that your battery is low and show you a route to the nearest charging station. Does the ID 4 software do the same? Does it notify you when your battery is low and automatically show you a route to the nearest charging station? When you type in a destination, does the ID 4 automatically show you where you should stop on the route to charge most efficiently?
Pretty much yes to all. But if you a e just driving without a destination, the car doesn't know where you are headed, so it will only notify you that the battery is low.

The only klunky bit is entering a destination, but with favorites, common destinations only need to be entered once.

In areas with dodgy chargers, it might route you to a L2 or a poor charger. But you can double check the choices before you go, to make sure the choices make sense.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,718 Posts
Maybe I should use the built-in nav some time ... Thanks for correcting me.
Just try it in your driveway to see what it does. Just pick a destination far enough to need a charge or two.

Look on the right - there will be a line that shows the trip along with charging stops. Tap on a charge stop for details. Long press the dest at the top to cancel.

·
339 Posts
I've used the built-in nav for a couple of road trips. It will schedule needed stops at EA stations for you and give you directions to them, but as noted above, the car MUST have a destination address input for this to happen. If you happen to already know where you are going and don't bother putting in the desitnation, then the car tells you nothing about charging stops.

·
55 Posts
Oh yes! It does... our very first road trip, I misjudged our return range needed (forgetting to self adjust for the elevation gain) and as soon as it reached an uncomfortable battery level, it warned and popped up a screen of the nearest charging stations... I correlated with ChargePoint and Electrify America on my phone at the same time, but the car definitely provided us with the nearest charging stations... which we limped along to get to... just a few short miles from home?!

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
188 Posts
Just try it in your driveway to see what it does. Just pick a destination far enough to need a charge or two.

Look on the right - there will be a line that shows the trip along with charging stops. Tap on a charge stop for details. Long press the dest at the top to cancel.
Welcome news to me! I guess I became so frustrated with the native Nav, that I missed what it could actually do well…

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,947 Posts
I use the native SatNav most of the time. In fact I have the map displayed even when not employing directions. Works well for me, although there are some better CarPlay-App's for specific situations. The EA App is better for navigating to same and makes the actual charging session almost plug & charge thanks to some pre-recognition. The Chargepoint App is better for finding its brand L2 chargers, which are prevalent at Town Halls, etc. in my area.
I do miss having a cellular Google Maps overlay of the SatNav however (VW & Google parted ways in January 2021), so it that instance too an App is superior.
But again most of my use is the native SatNav.

·
822 Posts
Google Nav got me lost in an active Army artillery range at 1:00 am last month so it isn’t all that! 😂 Sometime later when I realized what all of the red cone/delineator markers scattered all around me meant I suddenly felt like I was on a dirt path in Ukraine in a Russian armored car. Luckily the heat signature of a VW ID.4 is low!

Road surface Font Asphalt Motor vehicle Signage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts