Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 465 Posts

·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a few questions and thought a single thread might serve other people with their own questions as well.
Here are mine about the ID-4:
1) Is the rear cargo area cover easily removed? I've got a large dog that is use to jumping in the back on my current SUV and that cover looks to be an issue.
2) Is the acceleration rate the same regardless of battery state of charge?
3) Does the ID-4 have a spare tire?
4) Is it possible to get a ID-4 without the glass roof panel
5) Is it possible to get a trailer hitch on a FWD (only) ID-4?

·
44 Posts
Here's one: will the initial ID.4's have the cameras necessary for 360/top-down views, and if so, is it possible this feature could be activated at a later date? This is the one feature available in Europe I'd really like to have. (I assume these are also needed for lane-keeping and self-parking.)

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
91 Posts
I had a few questions and thought a single thread might serve other people with their own questions as well.
1) Is the rear cargo area cover easily removed? I've got a large dog that is use to jumping in the back on my current SUV and that cover looks to be an issue.
I can answer a few of these:
1) I don't know for sure, but in Bjorn's walk-around they had the cover off and fit a dog crate in the trunk.
3) No, there is no spare tire.
4) The glass roof is added with the Statement package. If you get the base version, or the base all-wheel-drive version, it should have a solid roof.
5) There is no FWD version, only RWD or AWD. The AWD version comes with a hitch, and RWD only comes with a hitch on the 1st Edition (now sold out)

·
584 Posts
Here's one: will the initial ID.4's have the cameras necessary for 360/top-down views, and if so, is it possible this feature could be activated at a later date? This is the one feature available in Europe I'd really like to have. (I assume these are also needed for lane-keeping and self-parking.)
That question was asked at one of the recent ID.4 met & greets and the answer was no. The 2022's might have it.

·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the current ID-4 "Tour" going to include East Coast dealers, and if so, when?

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
368 Posts
I have a somewhat silly question:
Is anyone aware of model car version of the ID.4?

I'd like to give the little boy deep inside me a Christmas present when I cannot have the real FE until March 8.
I know models of the ID.3 are available on eBay and other places, but haven't seen an ID.4 model car yet.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
6 Posts
I had a chance to look at the ID.4 at Norm Reeves thanks to @Dave Mc, so I have partial answers:
1) Rep said the privacy cover could be easily removed.
2) I dunno, but all Audi & Porsche EVs don't degrade in performance. I imagine the VW won't either, hence the conservative 0-60 acceleration.
3) The hidden area below the cargo wasn't for a spare. I assume they're on run-flats, but didn't really check.

·
42 Posts
I'll add:
4) Yes, base model (Pro) does not have the glass roof panel.
5) ID.4 is either RWD or AWD (not FWD), but the hitch only comes with First Edition & AWD models. RWD models (currently) do not have a hitch as an option.

·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are any "real" delivered prices being given, and if so, do they include the much dreaded "market adjustment" line item addition?

·
584 Posts
Are any "real" delivered prices being given, and if so, do they include the much dreaded "market adjustment" line item addition?
Been discussed in several threads here. Consensus answer is, most dealers are not but it is an individual dealer decision.

·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah, I found those after I posted my question. Is it known how VW is going to transition the manufacturing of the ID-4 from Germany to the States? I have to say that as a rule I am pretty leery of "first year" runs of any vehicle (through too many bad experiences) so the idea of a vehicle production being changed from one plant / country to another leaves me a bit nervous. I suspect I'll wait to 2022 before I make any moves anyway.

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
91 Posts
That question was asked at one of the recent ID.4 met & greets and the answer was no. The 2022's might have it.
It looks like the top trim European ID.4s have 360 view/around view, since this review from Germany demonstrates it in use:

·
584 Posts
It looks like the top trim European ID.4s have 360 view/around view, since this review from Germany demonstrates it in use:
The European ID.4's get the heat pump and the 360 view that the US versions don't. They aren't installing the needed camera's in the US versions so it can't be upgraded via software at a later date.

Reactions: joezhu

·
44 Posts
The 360 view camera is the missing feature I'd most like to have (adaptive suspension is the other). That's one reason I might consider passing on the 2021 and waiting for 2022 (although no guarantee it will be added).

·
44 Posts
Interesting that the German speaker in the video uses the English pronunciation of "ID" instead of the German, which IIRC from my long-ago German classes, is like "ee-day."

·
36 Posts
Just one reminder that the price of the ID4 in Germany is the equivalent of $59,000 and the ID4 Max is $70,000. Of course this includes tax, especially VAT which can be very high.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
771 Posts
I have exactly the opposite viewpoint from my experience. I've had vehicles that were "value engineered" post the inaugural edition which were more value to the manufacturer but less so to me. Also the periodic styling "refresh" cycles are typically underwhelming compared to the original.

In the present days of CAD design and robotic assembly there are almost nil "infant mortality" flaws in the first releases. Most issues these days are with the initial firmware and that gets resolved fairly quickly and painlessly. I guess Microsoft has desensitized me to continual bug updates.

And as an American I hate to admit it, but I'd rather have a vehicle from Germany than Chattanooga, TN. But then most vehicles these days really are "world cars" in terms of vendor parts, and again extensive robotics so not much difference (except in humanoid quality control/inspection?).

Yeah, I found those after I posted my question. Is it known how VW is going to transition the manufacturing of the ID-4 from Germany to the States? I have to say that as a rule I am pretty leery of "first year" runs of any vehicle (through too many bad experiences) so the idea of a vehicle production being changed from one plant / country to another leaves me a bit nervous. I suspect I'll wait to 2022 before I make any moves anyway.

·
246 Posts
The 360 view camera is the missing feature I'd most like to have
I'd like to have that as well, although my ideal is if VW added some type of Tesla "sentry mode" where the video is recorded continuously for playback purposes in cases of an accident, break in, or some other critical event.

·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...In the present days of CAD design and robotic assembly there are almost nil "infant mortality" flaws in the first releases. Most issues these days are with the initial firmware and that gets resolved fairly quickly and painlessly. I guess Microsoft has desensitized me to continual bug updates.

And as an American I hate to admit it, but I'd rather have a vehicle from Germany than Chattanooga, TN. But then most vehicles these days really are "world cars" in terms of vendor parts, and again extensive robotics so not much difference (except in humanoid quality control/inspection?).
Please allow me to disagree strongly about the "nil infant mortality" comment. That is simply not true. On the contrary this form of design sometimes means that a flawed part or parts, or assemblies are produced in greater number where they are installed only to be part of a larger TSB / Recall campaign by the manufacturer. I can sight numerous examples of this happening across the world automotive industry as I am sure you can as well. The fact of the matter is that the buyers of all first Gen. new design vehicles become Beta testers for the manufacturer, or at least that is my view based on my experiences.

In the case of the ID-4 we will have the interesting fact that the first Gen. of this vehicle will be produced in Germany while subsequent vehicles will be produced in a completely different plant by a completely different workforce. All this tells me that it is very likely that there will be an entirely new set of customer Beta testers. I am well familiar with the pressures on plant managers in the production environment. Quality does sometimes suffer and it is up to the QC staff to re-work and /or sort out the issues if possible, but sometimes this is left up to the dealers.

We will certainly see in as the new owners put these cars through their paces and post up their experiences here. As has been said before,"in the fullness of time all will be revealed".

1 - 20 of 465 Posts