Volkswagen ID Forum banner

181 - 200 of 234 Posts

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition arrived port-USA
375 Posts
Yeah, that's the truth. I've many times considered a custom color but never actually pulled the trigger.

Same goes for HUD. I'd really like to have it but [thus far] not willing to pay for it even if option-offered.

That was the special "VW Spektrum" program for the 2019 Golf R (in the US and Canada). Special-order only and $2,500 extra. The standard colors that year were the usual white, black, gray, blue, and red. My understanding is that they didn't sell many (not that the Golf R is a big volume seller, anyway). As someone at my dealer told me, "everybody says they'd be glad to pay extra for some cool colors, but nobody did."

·
25 Posts
Yes you can set it. you must set it in 2 legs. 0-50% which will charge immediately and from 50-100 on selected timeslot. You need to favorite the charger in your system otherwise it wont work.
Sorry for asking a further question ...

I have my ID.4 on order, and now I need to sort out my Home charging point. I've been comparing units, and all the "smart" one's have bad reviews for their app's, I think I want to wait until there is a better unit with app to suit. Therefore I'm looking to just buy a basic "dumb unit" - like the QUBEV, and then rely upon the ID.4's charging timer to make use of cheaper electricity.

I want to always use night-time cheaper electricity - From 00:30 until 04:30. I know you mentioned about setting charging in 2 legs, and you mentioned one leg starts immediately. Is there a way - you set the car so it only charges between these times? even if it's in the 2 legs you mentioned?

Also I know the car has WEConnect - is this something that need's a SIM installed in the car? is this a paid for mobile subscription? or can I avoid the need for a SIM in the car, and rely upon using my phone / via Bluetooth? (thanks)

·
24 Posts
I am not sure a smart charger is necessary based on my experience as an e-Golf owner. I have a Clipper Creek charger installed in my garage. All the scheduling is done through the car interface or the VW Car-Net app. I am able to customize the off-peak hours within which the car will charge. There is another setting for minimum charge level. I have mine set to 30%. When I plug the car in, if the battery level is below that minimum, it will immediately start charging until it reaches that level (or it waits until it is within the off-peak hours you defined). Once that minimum is reached, the charging stops and restarts again at a later time in order to reach the desired state of charge at the user-defined morning departure time. There is also an option for preheating the interior to a user-selected temperature.
The VW Car-Net app is over the air and was free for the first three years.

·
107 Posts
I am not sure a smart charger is necessary based on my experience as an e-Golf owner. I have a Clipper Creek charger installed in my garage. All the scheduling is done through the car interface or the VW Car-Net app. I am able to customize the off-peak hours within which the car will charge. There is another setting for minimum charge level. I have mine set to 30%. When I plug the car in, if the battery level is below that minimum, it will immediately start charging until it reaches that level (or it waits until it is within the off-peak hours you defined). Once that minimum is reached, the charging stops and restarts again at a later time in order to reach the desired state of charge at the user-defined morning departure time. There is also an option for preheating the interior to a user-selected temperature.
The VW Car-Net app is over the air and was free for the first three years.
I also have a Clipper Creek charger installed, 40 amps, hard-wired outdoors, and I'm happy with it. It's weather-proof (NEMA-4 rated), and it has a long 25 foot cord, two pluses for my situation. I have it mounted on a post, with the holster conveniently installed just above the charger. And my electrician recommended Clipper Creek as being reliable. The only negative is that it is larger than the competitors.

·
16 Posts
Sorry for asking a further question ...

I have my ID.4 on order, and now I need to sort out my Home charging point. I've been comparing units, and all the "smart" one's have bad reviews for their app's, I think I want to wait until there is a better unit with app to suit. Therefore I'm looking to just buy a basic "dumb unit" - like the QUBEV, and then rely upon the ID.4's charging timer to make use of cheaper electricity.

I want to always use night-time cheaper electricity - From 00:30 until 04:30. I know you mentioned about setting charging in 2 legs, and you mentioned one leg starts immediately. Is there a way - you set the car so it only charges between these times? even if it's in the 2 legs you mentioned?

Also I know the car has WEConnect - is this something that need's a SIM installed in the car? is this a paid for mobile subscription? or can I avoid the need for a SIM in the car, and rely upon using my phone / via Bluetooth? (thanks)
I suggest to stay with a "dumb" wallbox, I use this one since 2 years now and it is still as new. It comes from the UK so it should be strait forward for you.

You will be able to "automate" the ID.4 in the way you want, adding your wallbox as favorite in the ID.4 system. Or you can use one of the GitHub API to connect to WEConnect infrastructure to remotely command the car to start/stop charging using a scheduled job on you PC or even better in your home automation system if you have one.. You can even start/stop charging the car using Siri on the iPhone.

The "Sim" for WE Connect is an e-sim and is included in all ID.3 and ID.4.

With the two legs, you can say to the car to charge the 1st leg to 20% ( you will probably never arrive at home so low on the battery and the second leg to 80% starting at the time you want..

So if you arrive at 25% at home, the charge will only start for the second leg.

I hope to be clear, sorry but English is not my language ;)

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition arrived port-USA
375 Posts
The only reason I went with a ChargePoint module is that my local VW dealership uses same. I like to reduce dealer maintenance variables/excuses whenever possible.

"What have you been using as a home charger?" "Same as you." ;)

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Has anyone seen any news about the construction upgrades / new construction for the VW Chattanooga Tenn. plant, and any updates on the timeline for production of ID.4 vehicles there?
Anyone have info. about production startup?

·
101 Posts
What is the various data pipes that are used in the car for external data. I know there is lte or WiFi for updates and module data and auto management. Where do things like Traffic data come from? HD Radio, XM, lte, aliens? I’ve seen most of these be used on other cars for low data payload delivery.

·
101 Posts
A second question asks if we should start a formula section related to fhe different rebates and discounts available on a state by state basis.

·
25 Posts
I suggest to stay with a "dumb" wallbox, I use this one since 2 years now and it is still as new. It comes from the UK so it should be strait forward for you.

You will be able to "automate" the ID.4 in the way you want, adding your wallbox as favorite in the ID.4 system. Or you can use one of the GitHub API to connect to WEConnect infrastructure to remotely command the car to start/stop charging using a scheduled job on you PC or even better in your home automation system if you have one.. You can even start/stop charging the car using Siri on the iPhone.

The "Sim" for WE Connect is an e-sim and is included in all ID.3 and ID.4.

With the two legs, you can say to the car to charge the 1st leg to 20% ( you will probably never arrive at home so low on the battery and the second leg to 80% starting at the time you want..

So if you arrive at 25% at home, the charge will only start for the second leg.

I hope to be clear, sorry but English is not my language ;)
Hi Many Thanks

(sorry for the delay in replying), I'm looking at the "dumb" wallbox option, the Roldec option you suggested, is very neat, and does the job - but some users complain in the UK, about the RCD burning out and needing replacing. I was looking at a QUBEV unit, it's on Amazon and only £230 (GBP) as well. In the UK there's also another option of the Ohme, it's a smart unit that has an app, that most users are happy with, and currently in the UK - one energy supplier subsidises them so they cost only £199 (GBP), it relies on a 3G/4G connection and includes a 3year service, after that the connection charge for smart services is unknown, but if the subscription services stop - it just becomes a dumb unit - So I've applied to purchase this unit.

Thank you for your comments (along with Furkin) about the charging schedules on the ID.4. If I get the Ohme unit, looks like I should be able to benefit from trying either (a) scheduling using the smart charger ... but if that doesn't work (b) use the car's scheduling features.

Curious to know how much charging options vary for other countries ...

In the UK, the best tariff for car for home users is Octopus Energy - where we get 4 hours a night for 5p/kw daytime rate 14.4p/kw and 25p/day charge.

PS - Your English is good :) thank you

·
16 Posts
Hi Many Thanks

(sorry for the delay in replying), I'm looking at the "dumb" wallbox option, the Roldec option you suggested, is very neat, and does the job - but some users complain in the UK, about the RCD burning out and needing replacing. I was looking at a QUBEV unit, it's on Amazon and only £230 (GBP) as well. In the UK there's also another option of the Ohme, it's a smart unit that has an app, that most users are happy with, and currently in the UK - one energy supplier subsidises them so they cost only £199 (GBP), it relies on a 3G/4G connection and includes a 3year service, after that the connection charge for smart services is unknown, but if the subscription services stop - it just becomes a dumb unit - So I've applied to purchase this unit.

Thank you for your comments (along with Furkin) about the charging schedules on the ID.4. If I get the Ohme unit, looks like I should be able to benefit from trying either (a) scheduling using the smart charger ... but if that doesn't work (b) use the car's scheduling features.

Curious to know how much charging options vary for other countries ...

In the UK, the best tariff for car for home users is Octopus Energy - where we get 4 hours a night for 5p/kw daytime rate 14.4p/kw and 25p/day charge.

PS - Your English is good :) thank you
I saw the other guys complains, but in fact the RCD needs to be "reset" ( pressing the arms to the bottom ) and after that it can be rearmed... I never got an RCD that needed it. So people thinks it is broken but it is not. There is a support note for that on the manufacturer website.

But anyway, the one you choose will do the job too, only thing is that I prefer to have the charging cable wired to the Wallbox. Having the cable tided to the Wallbox is faster to connect than getting the one of the car and connect both sides and then put it back in the car each days..

·
25 Posts
I saw the other guys complains, but in fact the RCD needs to be "reset" ( pressing the arms to the bottom ) and after that it can be rearmed... I never got an RCD that needed it. So people thinks it is broken but it is not. There is a support note for that on the manufacturer website.

But anyway, the one you choose will do the job too, only thing is that I prefer to have the charging cable wired to the Wallbox. Having the cable tided to the Wallbox is faster to connect than getting the one of the car and connect both sides and then put it back in the car each days..
Yes, I saw some video's about the reset process for the Roledec, but apparently the RCD can "sometimes" short, there are afew electricians video's complaining about the issue. But generally it's a neat unit and for most people works perfectly.

The Ohme unit, comes as a "plug in version" (which runs at 16amp), but I'm planning to get the 32 amp version which comes with a 32amp commando socket which I'll terminate similar to the enclosed pictures and fix it by my garage, with a tethered cable for connection to the car.

I saw that VW do an ID charger range, but only seams to be available in Germany?

·
16 Posts
Yes, I saw some video's about the reset process for the Roledec, but apparently the RCD can "sometimes" short, there are afew electricians video's complaining about the issue. But generally it's a neat unit and for most people works perfectly.

The Ohme unit, comes as a "plug in version" (which runs at 16amp), but I'm planning to get the 32 amp version which comes with a 32amp commando socket which I'll terminate similar to the enclosed pictures and fix it by my garage, with a tethered cable for connection to the car.

I saw that VW do an ID charger range, but only seams to be available in Germany?
In France VW offer another Wallbox with an installation service, but it cost an arm...

·
25 Posts
In France VW offer another Wallbox with an installation service, but it cost an arm...
In the UK, VW only seam to currently partner with one installer (Pod Point) but don't actually offer any special "deals". The UK government offers a subsidised grant for the install of Home charging points, they don't really end up being a very good deal :-(

The only offer they seam to have is if you sign up to Octopus Energy and enter your VW car order number they offer a £90 gbp credit on your bill.

·
9 Posts
How certain are we autonomous features are locked in at level 2 being the max? Have a first edition reservation, but it gets to be a tougher sale if the tax credit is expanded again and cars coming out later in the year will have much better tech and OTA updates available...

·
112 Posts
How certain are we autonomous features are locked in at level 2 being the max? Have a first edition reservation, but it gets to be a tougher sale if the tax credit is expanded again and cars coming out later in the year will have much better tech and OTA updates available...
For the US, pretty certain based at least from what I've read/seen. E-Mobility has made statements in the past that the required cameras/sensors aren't built into US 2021 models for the auto lane change & auto parking features mentioned in some editions of the ID manual. Given that US models for 2021 don't even have the side or front cameras that come on Max Editions in EU I would say that is another strong indicator.

·
9 Posts
That’s a huge bummer. If tax credits pass before delivery, might have to look elsewhere. Or switch from a purchase to a lease in order to upgrade. Short sighted on VW part to save some money now...

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
72 Posts
OTA / 2.1 should/will/must/may rollout in/after March. Thats going to be an operation for all the dealerships around here.

·
8 Posts
Can the audible alert ("acoustic warning") for parking be turned off? Does it ping constantly when you park using the rear camera? We have a narrow garage we have to back into, and in some cars I've driven there's a button to turn off the sound, hoping you can do this in the ID.4

·
25 Posts
Can the audible alert ("acoustic warning") for parking be turned off? Does it ping constantly when you park using the rear camera? We have a narrow garage we have to back into, and in some cars I've driven there's a button to turn off the sound, hoping you can do this in the ID.4
On page 181 of the owners manual, which was posted in another thread, there's an icon under the parking settings menu for "mute audio signals," so it looks like yes, but no button, you have to do it on the touchscreen. I didn't see any other mention of muting the sound. Hopefully the setting is retained so you don't have to mute it every time you reverse.

181 - 200 of 234 Posts