Volkswagen ID Forum banner

201 - 220 of 227 Posts

·
24 Posts
Can the audible alert ("acoustic warning") for parking be turned off? Does it ping constantly when you park using the rear camera? We have a narrow garage we have to back into, and in some cars I've driven there's a button to turn off the sound, hoping you can do this in the ID.4
On current generation VWs, when the parking sensors start beeping, the center screen shows a pop-up graphic which includes a mute button. I assume the ID cars will have something similar.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
70 Posts
They do have a mute button, im not sure if it unmutes after a shutdown/restart. Will do that tomorrow.

Reactions: studiozut

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Here is an odd question. (maybe?) Do the brake lights illuminate when the vehicle is in regenerative braking mode and the driver takes his / her foot off the go pedal? (Without hitting the brakes)

·
1st Edition - Arriving in US
520 Posts
Can the infotainment play mp4/video files?

·
VW ID.4 FE Reservation
21 Posts
Here is an odd question. (maybe?) Do the brake lights illuminate when the vehicle is in regenerative braking mode and the driver takes his / her foot off the go pedal? (Without hitting the brakes)
I can't speak specifically to the ID.4, but the regulations are mixed around the world on this. While it doesn't seem to be required in the US, most manufacturers that ship cars globally have the stop lamps turn on when a certain deceleration level is hit to comply with UN regulations. I would doubt that VW specifically disables this for the US market.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
I can't speak specifically to the ID.4, but the regulations are mixed around the world on this. While it doesn't seem to be required in the US, most manufacturers that ship cars globally have the stop lamps turn on when a certain deceleration level is hit to comply with UN regulations. I would doubt that VW specifically disables this for the US market.

Thanks Dan. I tried to read the actual Fed. docs. and it made my head explode.:eek: Good to know someone / some others were concerned about the issue as well.

·
212 Posts
This does happen with my BMW PHEV, but I don't know the precise deceleration rate that triggers the brake lights.

·
22 Posts
New question: one thing that attracts me to the ID.4 is everyone says it's very quiet. But it seems all the models that are on the road so far are rea-wheel-drive. Is there any reason to believe the AWD version will be less quiet? Will the extra motor up front add meaningful amount of noise? I have an AWD reservation and just wondering if maybe I should consider a RWD. Thanks

·
351 Posts
I don't know for sure, but it seems that 90% of the noise is either wind noise or tire noise. Motor noise is a tiny piece of the noise. I want a quiet car, I am not worried about the noise from 1 or 2 motors. A test drive will tell quick enough, whenever anybody gets their hands on an AWD version.

·
ID.4 1st Blue
214 Posts
I agree. From the various review videos out there the noise sources are, in that order (totally subjective from my casual hearing): Rain on the roof, wind, tires, other traffic, motor/mechanical noise. I think the ID.4 takes the quietness crown for now.

·
70 Posts
It does! Put on your usb-stuck [and an usb-c-to usb extender if you dont have a usb C stick yet] And will play H264/MP4 / Xvid/Avi without and issue[min. 480p]. H265 and/or MKV's aint working.

Screen will go BLACK when starting to move, sound will play. so its only when you are not moving.

New question: one thing that attracts me to the ID.4 is everyone says it's very quiet. But it seems all the models that are on the road so far are rea-wheel-drive. Is there any reason to believe the AWD version will be less quiet? Will the extra motor up front add meaningful amount of noise? I have an AWD reservation and just wondering if maybe I should consider a RWD. Thanks
I've a 1st max with front screen[standard] and front sidescreen [not sure for US] with some added noise damping. Its wonderfully quiet. Around 75 mph its starting to bother me [as in windnoise is coming] when not playing music. With music you wont hear a thing till max-speed.. or have a 6+ BFT headwind blowing then you will hear noise. Also bad roads are terrible and cant be damped.

·
70 Posts
Also for the people who like quality music. it plays .WAV and .FLAC

... and mp3's ofcourse

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition arrived port-USA
374 Posts
When you take [ICE] engine noise out of the equation you notice all sorts of other vehicle-ambient sounds. Relative wind of movement being a big one if not properly wind-tunnel designed for streamlined performance. I once worked on a system of laminar flow across surgical theaters and it's quite a science unto itself (for health not quietness in this case but same principle). But by all accounts I've seen/heard it looks like VAG did a great job on this one.
Some earlier EV's had to go back to the drawing board and affix revised exterior mirrors, etc. to reduce wind noise.
I agree. From the various review videos out there the noise sources are, in that order (totally subjective from my casual hearing): Rain on the roof, wind, tires, other traffic, motor/mechanical noise. I think the ID.4 takes the quietness crown for now.

·
1st Edition - Arriving in US
520 Posts
As per an owner in The Netherlands, it can. Image below is of playback from front USB while parked.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition arrived port-USA
374 Posts
USA vehicles must also be in Park to display video's on a front seat display, per DOT regulations.

·
4 Posts
Does anyone know if the 12" display can be severely dimmed or turned off?

I like a dark cockpit in rural areas at night. Thanks.

·
70 Posts
Does anyone know if the 12" display can be severely dimmed or turned off?

I like a dark cockpit in rural areas at night. Thanks.
yes you can dim it, but beside the infotainment you are dimming your Dash, ID.light and infotainment. It goes pretty low, not sure rural dark enough.. For the interior light you need to dim it seperately.

Or you can shut your infotainment down [just black with a clock] and it will be fine, but no music/navigation.

201 - 220 of 227 Posts