Volkswagen ID Forum banner

361 - 380 of 472 Posts

·
596 Posts
Is there a button missing from this cluster? This is from a FE that I test drove yesterday. I feel like videos I’ve seen show an electric windshield heater, but maybe that’s just a European spec.
View attachment 1983

Not that I need it in California!
I believe only the AWD version get the heated windshield, at least in the US.

·
ID.4 FE GW
186 Posts
What 12V battery type does the ID.4 use - lead acid, AGM, or something else? Cars can stress the 12V battery pretty hard when off due to wireless communications etc, and lead acid batteries do not like being depleted deeply. AGMs are better that way.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
626 Posts
What 12V battery type does the ID.4 use - lead acid, AGM, or something else? Cars can stress the 12V battery pretty hard when off due to wireless communications etc, and lead acid batteries do not like being depleted deeply. AGMs are better that way.
Typically the BMS should be trickle charging the 12V battery from the HV battery.

In the UK, one of the early ID3 bugs was that this wasn't happening and the 12V battery would go flat. That was fixed some time ago.

·
ID.4 FE GW
186 Posts
Typically the BMS should be trickle charging the 12V battery from the HV battery.

In the UK, one of the early ID3 bugs was that this wasn't happening and the 12V battery would go flat. That was fixed some time ago.
Interesting - so the ID.4's DC-DC converter is active when the car is off? That isn't the case in my FrankenTesla Toyota RAV4EV.

·
104 Posts
I saw a mention in a European review that the windshield heater was an option -perhaps on the AWD. Not part of the FE package.

·
596 Posts
Interesting - so the ID.4's DC-DC converter is active when the car is off? That isn't the case in my FrankenTesla Toyota RAV4EV.
Yes. "Battery Life" has several U-tube video's documenting the issue and explaining the patch/fix that VW did. The car monitors the 12v battery and if it drops below a certain value, the main battery will recharge it.

·
309 Posts
Its an AGM and not very big, which is fine since its always being charged from the huge main battery as mentioned above.

Reactions: TPG

·
2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
308 Posts
Thanks! Hate to ask but does it say "outside" before the "Alenza"? if so then you can't flip them
I saw a mention in a European review that the windshield heater was an option -perhaps on the AWD. Not part of the FE package.
In NA windshield heater is standard on AWD. The other missing button is for rear fog lights....something VW never gives us here.

Reactions: theboomr

·
70 Posts
Is there a button missing from this cluster? This is from a FE that I test drove yesterday. I feel like videos I’ve seen show an electric windshield heater, but maybe that’s just a European spec.
View attachment 1983

Not that I need it in California!
The windshield heater is only coming on the AWD version in the US. EDIT: Oops, should have checked the next page with the answer already before I replied.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
626 Posts
I could have sworn that there was a touchless hand-gesture thing that one can use to scroll the screens. But doing that doesn't work for me. The thing does sense when my hand is near - text logos for icons appear when my hand is near, and when I pull my hand back, the text on the logos will disappear after a few seconds But I can't just flick my fingers to get anything to scroll. Am I missing something?

·
596 Posts
I could have sworn that there was a touchless hand-gesture thing that one can use to scroll the screens. But doing that doesn't work for me. The thing does sense when my hand is near - text logos for icons appear when my hand is near, and when I pull my hand back, the text on the logos will disappear after a few seconds But I can't just flick my fingers to get anything to scroll. Am I missing something?
I had the same issue with the demo I drove a few days ago.

·
19 Posts
Anyone know how much heat is produced by the electric motor?
I saw a hack where someone made a small frunk, enough to hold the charger and a couple small items.
the AWD will have a motor upfront and may not have enough room. But if I does,how hot do you think it might get under the hood?

·
250 Posts
Thanks @BlueDH! I assume your "Yes." means both that you tried it and it does fit. Please let me know if I got that wrong. Otherwise, no need to respond. (y)

·
214 Posts
What is the navigation screen slider for, on the very right side of the navigation map display?
If you're talking about that vertical line, I don't think it's a slider, I believe it shows you the stops along your journey, and your progress from start to end of journey will move along the line.

361 - 380 of 472 Posts