Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
257 Posts
I had one of the first TDI Passat's out of the VW Chattanooga plant. The only issue I had with it was the radiator supplier didn't clean the flux off the radiator tank where it was soldered together and the flux clogged up the heater core. That was a vendor QC issue not VW's. It was a 45 min fix. Other than that I had no issues with the car for 80K miles when VW bought it back for dieselgate. I wish I had kept the car. So I am not concerned about the quality of the cars coming out of TN.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Has anyone actually heard the sound system in the ID 4, or seen any remarks in any of the videos about the sound system in the vehicle? Is there more than one audio system available as far as we know now?

·
ID.4 1st Edition
6 Posts
I've blasted the audio with maximum bass and 2nd highest treble on the equalizer. It's pretty good. I'm no audiophile, here's my scale based on what I listened in the past month:
Model Y - 7
ID.4 (1st Edition demo) - 5.5
BMW i3 (2014 standard, not Harman Kardon) - 3

·
2021 VW ID4 1st Edition (black) // 2003 VW Jetta TDI // 2004 VW R32 // 2019 VW Tiguan SEL R-Line
10 Posts
I had a few questions and thought a single thread might serve other people with their own questions as well.
Here are mine about the ID-4:
1) Is the rear cargo area cover easily removed? I've got a large dog that is use to jumping in the back on my current SUV and that cover looks to be an issue.
2) Is the acceleration rate the same regardless of battery state of charge?
3) Does the ID-4 have a spare tire?
4) Is it possible to get a ID-4 without the glass roof panel
5) Is it possible to get a trailer hitch on a FWD (only) ID-4?
1 ???, but my guess would be it will be easily removable, as the latest Tiguan models have a similar panel that is not fixed.
2 ???
3 No Spare Tire ...answered here previously I believe
4 Not in the US currently...note glass is fixed, not a sliding sunroof if you are concerned with possible future leaks
5 Trailer hitch is std on the 1st editions...Note the non AWD models are RWD, not FWD. Hitch in the US is reported to be a 1-1/4" square receiver. I have not seen details on if the wiring harness is also part of the package. One would hope, and even expect this would be the case.

·
2021 VW ID4 1st Edition (black) // 2003 VW Jetta TDI // 2004 VW R32 // 2019 VW Tiguan SEL R-Line
10 Posts
The European ID.4's get the heat pump and the 360 view that the US versions don't. They aren't installing the needed camera's in the US versions so it can't be upgraded via software at a later date.
No heat pump, because VW of NA did not specify it as they managed cost for our market. As for the 360 view, this should be included on the US models, as we are getting all of the lane assistance adaptive cruise and front collision avoidance features that use the same cameras needed for 360 view. We have this (360 view) on our 2019 Tiguan SEL Premium R-line and it certainly makes checking the quality of your parking job quite easy. lol

·
257 Posts
No heat pump, because VW of NA did not specify it as they managed cost for our market. As for the 360 view, this should be included on the US models, as we are getting all of the lane assistance adaptive cruise and front collision avoidance features that use the same cameras needed for 360 view. We have this (360 view) on our 2019 Tiguan SEL Premium R-line and it certainly makes checking the quality of your parking job quite easy. lol
It is my understanding the adaptive cruise and front collision avoidance use IR and radar sensors, not a camera. I believe the lane assistance and road sign reading use the camera in the mirror assembly. They aren't putting the camera's in the mirrors or front grill which would be necessary for 360 view. At least that is where they are in any vehicle I have been in that had 360 view.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hopefully I am not alone here in the desire to transition from an ICE vehicle to a vehicle propelled by electrons. I feel like I need a tutorial in the "best" way (whatever that means to you) to drive an electric vehicle to get the best out of it. It looks like VW is using a technology that allows coasting as an option, as well as a regenerative braking option. The regenerative braking is a concept that I understand, but I have no sense as what it feels like, nor how it impacts driving with it. Got any tips to share for someone transitioning from an ICE vehicle to an electric vehicle?

·
156 Posts
Hopefully I am not alone here in the desire to transition from an ICE vehicle to a vehicle propelled by electrons. I feel like I need a tutorial in the "best" way (whatever that means to you) to drive an electric vehicle to get the best out of it. It looks like VW is using a technology that allows coasting as an option, as well as a regenerative braking option. The regenerative braking is a concept that I understand, but I have no sense as what it feels like, nor how it impacts driving with it. Got any tips to share for someone transitioning from an ICE vehicle to an electric vehicle?
In the normal "D" mode, there will be no difference from your ICE experience. In "B" mode, the ID.4 will slow down when you take your foot off the throttle. Not a lot, though, so it won't feel very different. The one-pedal driving present is some other EV's (Tesla, i3) is not there and that is something one needs to get used to--judging when to lift so that the car comes to a full stop at the proper place. You get used to this. After reading about the predictive eco assist in the ID.4, I've changed my opinion about the desirability of one pedal driving and no longer think it's the best thing for electric economy. The one pedal driving is a skill set, like heel and toe downshifting in a manual: Do it if it gives you pleasure, but it's neither necessary nor desirable--kinda like manuals v. DCT transmissions.

·
171 Posts
The regenerative braking is a concept that I understand, but I have no sense as what it feels like, nor how it impacts driving with it. Got any tips to share for someone transitioning from an ICE vehicle to an electric vehicle?
Regenerative braking can have significant recharging of the battery (so much so that coming down from ski resorts, my charge level will be higher at the bottom of the mountain than the start of the trip). Naturally, you get more charging in stop and go traffic than you would in open traffic freeways.

As far as getting a feel for it, you really need to experience it on your own but you do get used to it pretty quickly. Different EVs have different level of regenerating so not all decelerate at the same rate, however, for a rudimentary representation with a ICE car: just put your car into 1st gear/low gear, accelerate to 20 mph and let go of the accelerator (just make sure there is no one behind you as the brake light will not light up on an ICE car when you decelerate).

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
266 Posts
I presently don't use my brakes very much as mostly non-commuting "retiree hours" driving and also I like to leave ample space behind the vehicle in front of me and coast-adjusting to same. It also saves me a bit of wheel brake dust from typically high graphite content German pads. But I guess I'll be learning a new skillset to take advantage of regenerative braking. ;)

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for the above answers! ^ I am starting to do a little homework on the charging of electric vehicles and based on what I've read here and other places it appears that "rapid charging" has some ill effects on the batteries. If I have interpreted what I've have read about this correctly, it looks like you should not rapid charge beyond 80% of capacity. Is this right? If so, why? Without going too far into the weeds can someone explain what the best practice is when it comes to re-charging an electric cars battery bank? Also, does the ID4 have a separate 12 volt battery and if so what is its purpose and how is it re-charged?

·
257 Posts
Thanks for the above answers! ^ I am starting to do a little homework on the charging of electric vehicles and based on what I've read here and other places it appears that "rapid charging" has some ill effects on the batteries. If I have interpreted what I've have read about this correctly, it looks like you should not rapid charge beyond 80% of capacity. Is this right? If so, why? Without going too far into the weeds can someone explain what the best practice is when it comes to re-charging an electric cars battery bank? Also, does the ID4 have a separate 12 volt battery and if so what is its purpose and how is it re-charged?
If you charge the battery too quickly too often the battery will grow dendrites which will reduce battery capacity and eventually will short out a cell.
- Not sure of best practices.
Yes the ID4 has a separate 12vdc battery, it runs everything, lights, computers, "instrument panel", fans, pumps basically everything but the drive motor. The 12v battery gets recharged from the big 460vdc battery when the car is 'on'.

·
156 Posts
Minimize rapid charging as much as possible as it's the highest stress for a battery--use only on long trips. The high speed charging rate tapers off after 80% so that the last 20% can take almost as long as the first 80%. This is to preserve battery life as high speed charging is stressful for the battery. Experienced users on a trip usually stop the charge at 80% and leave because it's not time efficient. For best battery life use a 240v Level 2 home charger for an overnight charge. Some stop this at 80%, but the extra battery life is minimal in my opinion, compared to charging fully to 100%. You will hear different opinions about this and it comes down to convenience. If you can charge at home every night, be completely conservative and stop the charge at 80%. We don't know yet if the VW software will allow you to make this setting, but other EV makers do allow this. VW reserves about 5% of the battery "top" and "bottom" for longevity. That's why the "usable" capacity is less that the "full capacity". I remember the number for the ID.4 is about 77?KWh useable v. 82? KWh total. Tesla allows less of a margin and this is one way they turn in big EPA numbers.

The 12v. battery is as described above, and is charged by the high voltage battery when the car is in operation. Some makes allow the HV battery to keep the 12v battery topped off even when in storage. We don't know what the VW does, yet. This is a good feature to avoid having the small current draw (that all modern cars have) run the 12v battery down when the car is not used daily. The ID.3 had a problem with this, but it's apparently fixed, now.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
...Yes the ID4 has a separate 12vdc battery, it runs everything, lights, computers, "instrument panel", fans, pumps basically everything but the drive motor. The 12v battery gets recharged from the big 460vdc battery when the car is 'on'.
Is this battery AGM or Lead Acid?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
266 Posts
AGM is just a more advanced "mat-dispersed & rolled up" packaging of lead-acid, principally to accommodate atypical mounting (e.g. on its side) and also more radical 3D movement such as maritime applications.

A "deep cycle" lead-acid type would be nice.

Even better would be a smaller/lighter Li-ion.

But likely just a standard "upright" lead-acid 12VDC battery, as least costly.

Is this battery AGM or Lead Acid?

·
4 Posts
Is the current ID-4 "Tour" going to include East Coast dealers, and if so, when?
All that has been posted so far is a round of Boston Area dealer visits this week:
Tuesday December 15
9:00 - 11:00Kelly VW
11:30 - 1:30Minuteman VW
2:00 - 4:00Colonial Medford
4:30 - 6:00Boston VW
Wednesday December 16
9:00 - 11:00Patrick Motors
11:30 - 1:30Colonial Westborough
2:00 - 4:00Wellesley VW
4:30 - 6:00VW of Norwood
Thursday December 17
9:00 - 11:00Tracy VW
12:00 - 2:00Quirk VW
2:30 - 4:30Coastal VW

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I've blasted the audio with maximum bass and 2nd highest treble on the equalizer. It's pretty good. I'm no audiophile, here's my scale based on what I listened in the past month:
Model Y - 7
ID.4 (1st Edition demo) - 5.5
BMW i3 (2014 standard, not Harman Kardon) - 3
What did you use as your source? Phone, USB, other?

21 - 40 of 102 Posts