Volkswagen ID Forum banner

501 - 520 of 580 Posts

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
397 Posts
I checked today, and travel assist has to be on. I was on the road with cars next to me, and the other lanes did not show up until I enabled travel assist.

View attachment 3174
I did some highway/freeway driving last night and the view finally did show up! So it seems that you do have to be in a certain kind of road that the car must recognize as highway from navigational data, or something like that. That seems silly to me...that expanded view should always show the lanes to the side, even on city roads, and even if Travel Assist is not being used, don't you think?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
822 Posts
I did some highway/freeway driving last night and the view finally did show up! So it seems that you do have to be in a certain kind of road that the car must recognize as highway from navigational data, or something like that. That seems silly to me...that expanded view should always show the lanes to the side, even on city roads, and even if Travel Assist is not being used, don't you think?
Yeah. I see the same. Certain types of roads it shows up, others it doesn't. It seems to need to see both lane markings for adjacent lanes. Having a barrier in the middle might also help. I dont have enough data to say more.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Yeah. I see the same. Certain types of roads it shows up, others it doesn't. It seems to need to see both lane markings for adjacent lanes. Having a barrier in the middle might also help. I dont have enough data to say more.
I was driving home from the dealer - as soon as I got on the highway, the thing lit up. Great. But I get 10 miles down the road, and it all goes away.

There are a couple of things that may have been going on. For one, the lane markings were rather worn, so the system might have had trouble picking them up - especially when switching from concrete pavement to asphalt. It had no trouble with the lane markings for the lane I was in - those correctly reflected whether the lines were solid or dashed. It was the lines on the far side of the adjacent lane that might have been problematic.

When the system was working, there were two white lines representing the far edge of the adjacent lanes. When it stopped working, those lines disappeared from the display.

Secondly, while I was on a 4-lane divided highway, there was no shoulder in the middle. And for that matter, the section where it was working had a solid divider, whereas once I got to the point where there was no divider is sort of where things went away.

I guess in theory, it could be tied into the navi database, but that just seems quite unlikely - it would involve getting tons of data (that might change due to construction). Keeping it all uptodate seems like a herculean task.

·
397 Posts
I was driving home from the dealer - as soon as I got on the highway, the thing lit up. Great. But I get 10 miles down the road, and it all goes away.

There are a couple of things that may have been going on. For one, the lane markings were rather worn, so the system might have had trouble picking them up - especially when switching from concrete pavement to asphalt. It had no trouble with the lane markings for the lane I was in - those correctly reflected whether the lines were solid or dashed. It was the lines on the far side of the adjacent lane that might have been problematic.

When the system was working, there were two white lines representing the far edge of the adjacent lanes. When it stopped working, those lines disappeared from the display.

Secondly, while I was on a 4-lane divided highway, there was no shoulder in the middle. And for that matter, the section where it was working had a solid divider, whereas once I got to the point where there was no divider is sort of where things went away.

I guess in theory, it could be tied into the navi database, but that just seems quite unlikely - it would involve getting tons of data (that might change due to construction). Keeping it all uptodate seems like a herculean task.
Yeah the nav data thing seemed doubtful to me too, it just seems weird otherwise that it won't show cars to my side at all when I'm using travel assist on a very straight, very well marked, 3-lane city road ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
94 Posts
Here’s what I hope is a new question. Is there a way to change the VW map/navigation view to a “night” or dark view when the headlights come on? The map is quite bright and I have found such an option on my other cars. I haven’t found such an option … yet. It might be a more global choice.
There is an Auto mode under navigation settings which will automatically switch the map between light and dark mode. This setting is different and separate from the light/dark setting for the control screen.

·
Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
215 Posts
Before I do a deep dive into the infotainment center, how do you increase the volume of the voice assistant when getting turn-by-turn directions. I was using the native system, not CarPlay (are there issues there too?).

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
104 Posts
Before I do a deep dive into the infotainment center, how do you increase the volume of the voice assistant when getting turn-by-turn directions. I was using the native system, not CarPlay (are there issues there too?).
Hit the volume up or down, on the volume bar that displays on the screen tap the gear. This is a quick way to get into the sound settings. In there, there are volume settings for a few things including the guidance speech (i forget the exact label).

Reactions: theboomr and PGilly

·
Dusk Blue FE
83 Posts
MYSTERIES SOLVED (?). There is a disappearing button on the VW map screen. I kid you not. In the lower left corner of the map screen, hold your finger in the vicinity of the Settings (gear) icon, but don't touch it. A black button with a menu icon (three stacked lines) appears to the right of the settings button. Touch the menu button and you find controls for the guidance volume and the map lighting (day, night or auto).

·
397 Posts
MYSTERIES SOLVED (?). There is a disappearing button on the VW map screen. I kid you not. In the lower left corner of the map screen, hold your finger in the vicinity of the Settings (gear) icon, but don't touch it. A black button with a menu icon (three stacked lines) appears to the right of the settings button. Touch the menu button and you find controls for the guidance volume and the map lighting (day, night or auto).
That sounds like the function where various button labels and such only show up when it detects your hand near the screen. It can be disabled in settings somewhere so the extra detail is always on-screen.

·
397 Posts
Not sure if this has been answered before, but does anyone know what function the "OK" button on the steering wheel serves? I have not yet come across any feature or situation where it could've been pressed, as far as I can tell. I have tried pressing it a few different times randomly to see if anything would happen, but no dice. Seems like a leftover from other VW steering wheel button layouts, which had instrument cluster screens with actual menus to navigate through; ID.4 doesn't have that though.

·
45 Posts
I'm on the market for hopefully what will be my first EV. Given that we will sell a car when we move (first week of June), when could we get an ID.4? We will be moving to Southern California. I made a reservation for a Pro version a few days ago, but have no idea whether or not deliveries will be coming soon, at the end of the year, or even next year. I'm trying to avoid leasing a Nissan Leaf.

·
2 Posts
I've had it for almost 4 weeks and we've had a couple of rainy days. At no time did the wipers turn on and I can't find anything in the manual about having to turn them to automatic. Automatic wipers are on the infotainment system.

Am I missing something? Do your automatic wipers work?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
I've had it for almost 4 weeks and we've had a couple of rainy days. At no time did the wipers turn on and I can't find anything in the manual about having to turn them to automatic. Automatic wipers are on the infotainment system.

Am I missing something? Do your automatic wipers work?
Yes, works fine. It is on the right-hand stalk - same as other cars. First position down is automatic, IIRC.

·
200 Posts
I'm on the market for hopefully what will be my first EV. Given that we will sell a car when we move (first week of June), when could we get an ID.4? We will be moving to Southern California. I made a reservation for a Pro version a few days ago, but have no idea whether or not deliveries will be coming soon, at the end of the year, or even next year. I'm trying to avoid leasing a Nissan Leaf.
Based on the recent trends on Pro deliveries, you might get them in about 4 months is my guess.

·
45 Posts
Based on the recent trends on Pro deliveries, you might get them in about 4 months is my guess.
Thank you! I finally heard back from the place that would be our local dealer this afternoon and they said similar, 4-6 months for Pro RWD. I asked to be put on a call list for anyone who orders and then doesn’t want their vehicle. It’s a long wait, though, and I will be curious if there’s more info about the Nissan Ariya.

Is there a thread somewhere indicating what people are paying? I’m stretching to buy this for reasons related to my conscience, and don’t want to get fleeced when signing.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
555 Posts
Is there a thread somewhere indicating what people are paying? I’m stretching to buy this for reasons related to my conscience, and don’t want to get fleeced when signing.
You find threads dealing with this all over the forum, just use search. The short version is: Here in California where you are moving to, most folks paid about the expected price and managed to avoid crazy shenanigans. Like you, I had a conscience budget and I stayed within it easily.

·
45 Posts
You find threads dealing with this all over the forum, just use search. The short version is: Here in California where you are moving to, most folks paid about the expected price and managed to avoid crazy shenanigans. Like you, I had a conscience budget and I stayed within it easily.
Thanks for sharing. Will do a thorough search on "price" to see what's being said. I don't need the best price, just a fair price no higher than the median.

·
338 Posts
Yes, works fine. It is on the right-hand stalk - same as other cars. First position down is automatic, IIRC.
The little switch on top of the stalk changes the sensitivity. It is in the manual but touched on so very slightly!

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
52 Posts
Took delivery 2 days ago, and yesterday I finally got around to looking at the information packet that was in the glove box with the ID.4's manual. There's an Audi "USA Warranty & Maintenance" booklet. This obviously seems strange. There's no comparable VW booklet in this packet. What are other ID.4 owners receiving?

BTW I purchased this from a dealer that also owns an Audi dealership, but not at this location.

·
338 Posts
Took delivery 2 days ago, and yesterday I finally got around to looking at the information packet that was in the glove box with the ID.4's manual. There's an Audi "USA Warranty & Maintenance" booklet. This obviously seems strange. There's no comparable VW booklet in this packet. What are other ID.4 owners receiving?

BTW I purchased this from a dealer that also owns an Audi dealership, but not at this location. View attachment 3305
I believe this warrants a return to the dealer! Apparently they failed to do a proper new car delivery inspection. There is a check off list of items they are supposed to check and the manuals are one of those items. Some good dealers even go over that list with the new buyer.

501 - 520 of 580 Posts