Volkswagen ID Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
25 Posts
Thanks for the above answers! ^ I am starting to do a little homework on the charging of electric vehicles and based on what I've read here and other places it appears that "rapid charging" has some ill effects on the batteries. If I have interpreted what I've have read about this correctly, it looks like you should not rapid charge beyond 80% of capacity. Is this right? If so, why? Without going too far into the weeds can someone explain what the best practice is when it comes to re-charging an electric cars battery bank? Also, does the ID4 have a separate 12 volt battery and if so what is its purpose and how is it re-charged?

In the article above, Frank Blome (head Volkswagen’s Center of Excellence for Battery Cells) "Normal charging is better for the batteries than rapid charging, and charging the batteries up to just 80 instead of 100 percent also increases their service life." "In most cases 80 percent is more than enough. Many customers tend to drive short distances, like going to work or going shopping. The battery doesn’t have to be charged 100 percent for that."

·
150 Posts
I'm on my fifth EV (two at a time)-- BMW i3 and PHEV's. My EV use is local grocery/errand/restaurant runner and my PHEV's with 25 mi range give me 90% of my use as pure EV. I have a Grizzl-e Level 2 EVSE. I plan for the ID.4 to be a keeper, but I will replace my second PHEV, that I am keeping for interstate trips, with a full EV when Solid State batteries appear with 400 mile range--sometime about 2025. I will charge my ID.4 to 80% on the level 2 EVSE and I expect to be able to recharge just once a week. I do not plan to do any high-speed recharging, despite the "free" service for 3 years. I'll do this to absolutely maximize battery longevity. This will simplify my life as I will not have to juggle the cord for daily recharging of my two PHEV's from a single EVSE.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Ok, let me ask a question. My garage already has a 220 V receptacle with a 25 amp breaker, but I read where Level 2 charging requires 240 volts. Do I need to upgrade to accommodate a level 2 charger?

·
37 Posts
220 and 240 are basically the same thing. There's some variability in voltage anyway, but I don't think you'll need a new receptacle/circuit/wiring.

That said, 220 and 25A (can only use 20A of that) would let you only charge at 4.4kW. So if anything, you may want to upgrade the circuit and wiring if you need to charge faster. For example, mine is 245V 50A (can only use 40A), so it's 9.8kW.

4.4kW might be perfectly fine, you'd get a full charge on the ID.4 in about 18 hours. Meanwhile, I can charge in 8 hours.

·
150 Posts
If you look on Amazon, you will find a fair few 15 amp 220/240 v EVSE's at prices lower than that of a 7.2 KW or 9.8KW item. You could use your existing outlet (providing the plugs are compatible) if you were willing to have a longer charging time, or charge more often. An added benefit is that the 15 amp rate is the least stressful on the battery.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
255 Posts
Chipster, US single-main outlet voltage is variably/vaguely referred to as 110V or 120V (therefore 220V or 240V using both of the mains to your home off your local transformer). So don't get too hung up on the English. Rather as mmcbtx well cites the gauge of the wiring and the respective circuit breaker rating is most important. Also whether direct-wired or plug-in charger.

Note: commercial use is more often referred to as 120V and household as 110V but again a grey area of terminology.

IMG_2315.JPG

Ok, let me ask a question. My garage already has a 220 V receptacle with a 25 amp breaker, but I read where Level 2 charging requires 240 volts. Do I need to upgrade to accommodate a level 2 charger?

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Chipster, US single-main outlet voltage is variably/vaguely referred to as 110V or 120V (therefore 220V or 240V using both of the mains to your home off your local transformer). So don't get too hung up on the English. Rather as mmcbtx well cites the gauge of the wiring and the respective circuit breaker rating is most important. Also whether direct-wired or plug-in charger.

Note: commercial use is more often referred to as 120V and household as 110V but again a grey area of terminology.
Huey; Thanks. It appears to me that the 220 V. outlet I have is positioned (I believe) to power a widow AC unit that the previous owner must have had in the garage window (at some point) above where the plug is installed. I have never used that receptacle and will have an electrician check it out, and just might have another line run if it will make the distance between the outlet and the back of the vehicle shorter. My thinking at this point is to have a plug in charger, but that might change.

·
4 Posts
I put in a ID4 PRO order as well - now I run into reviews from the Mustang Mach E - I'm not a FORD fan at all but looking at all those technology things that the Mach E has - also B&O sound system with woofer .. I have a couple of questions as well :

What sound system has the ID 4 ?
Does the ID 4 also has Phone Key ?
Sound Machine - to imitate motor sounds ?
360 degree camera ?
The Mach E can drive by itself but you have to look and pay attention a camera is watching u doing this - u don't have to hold the steering wheel it will steer by itself - how about the ID 4 ? Or is the ID 4 like my 2019 Tiguan SEL - P - I mean the Travel Assist what can it do ?
Updates ? Mustang already said OTA updates to improve and add features - what's the plan for VW here ?

I really hate to buy a car that's for the FUTURE but outdated in 1 yr LOL sorry I'm a tech guy - love VW otherwise I would buy a TESLA - now that VW comes out with a full electric car I'm thrilled but if it has just half the stuff that I want I still tend to wait or maybe even look at the Mustang ..

·
ID.4 1st Dusk Blue
148 Posts
OTA updates are possible and planned for all modules on the ID.4. While the proof will be in the pudding, I myself am fairly confident because VW has stated from the very beginning that OTA is a main goal.
Level 2 driver assist in ID.4 and Mach E are fairly comparable from what I have read, except for the camera supervision Ford uses, while VW needs steering wheel touch. The latter is real touch, not light force like Tesla that you can cheat with a weight.

·
43 Posts
OTA updates are possible and planned for all modules on the ID.4. While the proof will be in the pudding, I myself am fairly confident because VW has stated from the very beginning that OTA is a main goal.
Level 2 driver assist in ID.4 and Mach E are fairly comparable from what I have read, except for the camera supervision Ford uses, while VW needs steering wheel touch. The latter is real touch, not light force like Tesla that you can cheat with a weight.
From what I’m hearing there’s not much that can be updated in terms of driver assistance for the 2021 model year. 2022 model will have additional hardware that has more potential for better driver assistance features (Source: VW rep)

·
ID.4 1st Dusk Blue
148 Posts
From what I’m hearing there’s not much that can be updated in terms of driver assistance for the 2021 model year. 2022 model will have additional hardware that has more potential for better driver assistance features (Source: VW rep)
In terms of additional abilities that require more hardware, yes. However, there is likely quite a bit of room to improve lane keep (less ping pong), street sign recognition, automatic reaction to street signs, making all of this easier on the battery, etc. Judging by video reviews this works fairly well already, but there is always room for improvement in software.

·
4 Posts
In terms of additional abilities that require more hardware, yes. However, there is likely quite a bit of room to improve lane keep (less ping pong), street sign recognition, automatic reaction to street signs, making all of this easier on the battery, etc. Judging by video reviews this works fairly well already, but there is always room for improvement in software.
I changed the lane keep assist on my Tiguan - that ping pong drove me nuts .. looks like the ID 4 is giving me nothing new in technology then my 2018 Tiguan SEL - P :) beside that I have 360 camera - what a disappointment - the Level 2 driver assistant works very well in my Tiguan - I might just drop the reservation once I get more info .. I hate to downgrade just to have a battery under my butt .. is there nothing about the sound system so far ?

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Let me ask a more fundamental question: How is the fit and finish on this vehicle? I would expect that these cars on tour were gone over pretty well before they were shown to the public, but it might be worthwhile for those of you that have seen one in person to share their views.Things like panel fitment, paint, ie over-spray, runs, orange peel, and the like. On the inside: How is the stitching on the various places where two materials are joined together? How is the fitment on the door and other interior panels?

·
4 Posts
I'm sure the cars are better build then my Tiguan in MEX LOL - My wife R is made in Germany and perfect ! SO the first batch from Germany should be good - not sure once they come from TN :) Our Atlas is not that good build as the R or the Tiguan :)

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
339 Posts
When I saw the blue one in Seattle, it seemed as perfect as my 2012 CC (built in Emden) did on delivery. The various images posted in the viewing threads here show as much. It's a beautiful car.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
What (if anything) is known about the audio system in the "States" version ID.4? Number of speakers, sub-woofer(?) wattage, inputs, and most importantly, sound quality?

·
25 Posts
What (if anything) is known about the audio system in the "States" version ID.4? Number of speakers, sub-woofer(?) wattage, inputs, and most importantly, sound quality?
I'd like to know also. I have a 2015 Golf Sportwagen with the Fender system and I'm spoiled. However, aftermarket an aftermarket subwoofer is always a possibility.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Here is another question concerning the various "tours" of the ID.4(s) in the US. Why is it that no one seems to know where these new vehicles will be and no info. is available to indicate which dealers make "the cut" on the tour? Hell, the dealers I have spoken with were not even aware there was a tour. That pretty pitiful!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
255 Posts
Yes, I too am always mystified that we automotive forum enthusiasts often tend to know more than dealerships about such. But then I've talked with salespeople about a car that's sitting right next to them all day in the showroom and I have known more about it they they did. 🤷‍♂️

In fairness, my new-to-me local VW dealership has been very good about calling me multiple times in the past month or so. As always it comes down to the individual at a dealership and how customer oriented they are and motivated to be up to date and in the know.

Here is another question concerning the various "tours" of the ID.4(s) in the US. Why is it that no one seems to know where these new vehicles will be and no info. is available to indicate which dealers make "the cut" on the tour? Hell, the dealers I have spoken with were not even aware there was a tour. That pretty pitiful!

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Is there any "Conventional Wisdom" that you present or past owners of an EV can share with those of us new to the thoughts of ownership? Things like driving differences, upkeep, and anything else that might be helpful for a new EV owner to know.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts