Volkswagen ID Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
2 Posts
I am trying to determine if the ID.4 will have any 12 volt power outlets (aka cigarette lighters)? My Honda Clarity plug-in has two of them, each of which runs on an independent circuit capable of a maximum of 180 watts each. I have grown to love them for things such as a 12 volt refrigerator/cooler.

I have asked a couple of VW dealers and they didn't know. I've read through the owner's manual and while it makes mention to a cigarette lighter, I can't find anything showing where it is or what capabilities it has. (the one reference I found was a safety warning that you shouldn't try to charge the vehicle's 12 volt battery through the cigarette lighter.

If anyone has any information you can share, that would be great. Otherwise, can anyone advise how to reach someone at VW of America that may be able to research this?

I have two ID.4's on order. Thank you!

·
250 Posts
Seems to me I read if you opted for the Statement package, there was a 12v outlet in the back. No idea on it's power capabilities.

·
169 Posts
I am trying to determine if the ID.4 will have any 12 volt power outlets (aka cigarette lighters)? My Honda Clarity plug-in has two of them, each of which runs on an independent circuit capable of a maximum of 180 watts each. I have grown to love them for things such as a 12 volt refrigerator/cooler.

I have asked a couple of VW dealers and they didn't know. I've read through the owner's manual and while it makes mention to a cigarette lighter, I can't find anything showing where it is or what capabilities it has. (the one reference I found was a safety warning that you shouldn't try to charge the vehicle's 12 volt battery through the cigarette lighter.

If anyone has any information you can share, that would be great. Otherwise, can anyone advise how to reach someone at VW of America that may be able to research this?

I have two ID.4's on order. Thank you!
Not a fan of people asking the same question in multiple threads but here...

From the Owner's Manual (P. 193-4) looks like there is one up front and one in the luggage compartment. Continuous power of all 12-volt sockets in the vehicle is 120 watts in total. The maximum power of a 12-volt socket in the vehicle is a total of 180 watts when the vehicle’s drive system is activated. The 12-volt socket will work only when the ignition is switched on.

·
169 Posts
Is there any "Conventional Wisdom" that you present or past owners of an EV can share with those of us new to the thoughts of ownership? Things like driving differences, upkeep, and anything else that might be helpful for a new EV owner to know.
OK, here's an important reminder for all EV owners. When driving your spouse's ICE car, remember to turn off the engine after you park - it was the umpteenth time this morning that I got out of her car and forgot to turn off the engine before leaving. (Since I have one-pedal driving, most times I don't even remember to put my car in park before leaving.)

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Can someone explain the layout & operation of the rear wheel drive on this vehicle? Does it behave like a vehicle with a limited slip diff. or operate like a diff. with posi. traction?

·
ID.4 1st Dusk Blue
148 Posts
I read somewhere that there's an electronic differential which enables torque vectoring.
There's also an electronically controlled disengagement function to enable coasting in D mode. Not sure whether that's the differential or the gear box.

·
250 Posts
Does anybody know how much power the battery heater takes? My foggy memory says I read 5kW somewhere, but I can't find that info now.

·
31 Posts
Ford's intelligent speed control will maintain a set speed going down steep hills. Does anyone know if Travel Assist will do that? I saw a demonstration of adaptive speed control (not Travel Assist) on an ID.3, and it did not maintain the set speed, rather the car went faster than it should have. All of the demos I've seen of Travel Assist on various VW vehicles has been on flat terrain.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
255 Posts
Some good insight on the more subtle questions from this always appreciated reviewer, e.g. capacitive feedback steering wheel @ ~11:42 (and hence shouldn't be covered):

Note also that the presumed US FE (dusk blue in this video) comes with less options than its Euro counterpart (gold "1st Max"). But then for the price not bad at all.

·
220 Posts
Ford's intelligent speed control will maintain a set speed going down steep hills. Does anyone know if Travel Assist will do that? I saw a demonstration of adaptive speed control (not Travel Assist) on an ID.3, and it did not maintain the set speed, rather the car went faster than it should have. All of the demos I've seen of Travel Assist on various VW vehicles has been on flat terrain.
If driving manually, a significant downhill grade would be a good case to go to B for higher regeneration (recuperation).

Question is, does travel assist (and/or adaptive cc alone) respond to D or B settings, or does they do their own thing regarding regeneration (i.e. ignore the D or B selection)?

(Chris from Battery life says it does not matter ID.3 B or D for cc, and that his ID.3 maintains set speed fine either downhill or uphill)

·
37 Posts
Some good insight on the more subtle questions from this always appreciated reviewer, e.g. capacitive feedback steering wheel @ ~11:42 (and hence shouldn't be covered):

Note also that the presumed US FE (dusk blue in this video) comes with less options than its Euro counterpart (gold "1st Max"). But then for the price not bad at all.
Thomas is the best vlog to follow in my opinion... and he's a major fan of VW!!!

·
31 Posts
There is the new "gesture" feature, that it did not seem like he was using it accurately... user error.
There were many things that did not work right, both in his initial walk around review and in his driving review. He also had trouble with it in his ID.3 and new Golf reviews. The system has had major problems, and as of the latest updates have not been completely addressed. As for gesture control, he's been reviewing VWs with that feature for many years, he knows how it works, or is supposed to work.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
How much confidence do you have that your dealer's service staff will be able to address any issues you might encounter on this new platform?

·
37 Posts
Very good confidence... I have 2 Master Certified Technicians here and on the entire West Coast there are approx 10. One of which has been certified on the eGolf for the past 5 years so that we can sell Certified Pre-Owned eGolfs...Arizona is not a ZEV state for VW, so we have limited resources to go with, however we are also a Penske Automotive Group store at a large complex with Audi, Porsche BMW etc... so we also have the infrastructure built in our campus already. I have the largest number of pre-orders for our location in the state, up to 15 FE... so we are ramping up quick.

·
220 Posts
Gen 1 Chevy Volt had this really cool looking center vertical console with many tens of back lit capacitive buttons. But, then about the fortieth time you turned something on or off by accidentally brushing over a button, it was a lot less fun.

The only thing I hope is that gesture control is not like that, with false detections and actions.

·
250 Posts
How much confidence do you have that your dealer's service staff will be able to address any issues you might encounter on this new platform?
After owning 3 VW's and dealing with 6 different dealerships. I have NO confidence in any VW dealer to fix a car correctly. One of the reasons I have my own lift.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts