Volkswagen ID Forum banner

161 - 180 of 227 Posts

·
212 Posts
"Most" of my recent cars have been white or silver because I don't wash them very often and they look best when dirty. Just sold an almost black metallic car and it looked dirty most of the time. If there were any really interesting colors, I could be tempted (and also tempted to keep it clean). BUT, if you have ever used one of the sites that value your used car that have the capability to do "plus" or "minus" based on color, you will find that white gets the highest resale and yellow the lowest. If you lease, this is a non-issue for you but if you trade every three years to keep up with technology, it can hurt. Ditto that the metallic whites really look much better than the plain white cars of yesteryear. Saw the new "Mustang" EV in this color at the Houston Auto Show in 2019 and it really looked good.

·
16 Posts
Thank you for links to the documents .... I'm just about to order mine (same model as yours's 1st Edition, but in metallic grey), I'm getting told that the delivery will be end of March.

Currently in the UK, we only have the option of the 1st Edition (not max), I did find it curious thou that the pricing in the UK (when comparing it with most EU countries) is actually lower (France 48k Euro, UK just over 46k Euro (£40,800) - with Brexit I was expecting that prices would end up being a little higher for us in the UK - the punishment for leaving the EU !

I've contacted a UK broker who negotiates with main-dealers, they claim they can get the price down by a further £2,500 - if this is the case - it looks like this will be a bargain. In the UK we also get a £3,000 Off (Government rebate), which makes the total purchase price just over £35,000 GBP.

I did look at consider the spec on the 1st Edition Max - although it has alot of "extras" - I couldn't justify what amounted to an extra 11k Euro (approx. price difference on most EU VW sites), for what is the same base car (range/build etc).
I looked at the Max but it was really too expensive for me, once you put that much on a car, you end up choosing not to go in certain places..

About all prices in France are going mad, I'm not sure there is another European country as expensive for the ID4.

At least I got 3000€ from gov rebate.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
70 Posts
I looked at the Max but it was really too expensive for me, once you put that much on a car, you end up choosing not to go in certain places..

About all prices in France are going mad, I'm not sure there is another European country as expensive for the ID4.

ID4 1st and 1st max costs the same in the Netherlands comparing with france.

If you still want the goodies of the 1st max, but not everything. check the skoda enyaq. you can configurate that more to your liking, for maybe abit less.
But still 1st max is a steal for its price with everything it has.

·
46 Posts

·
ID.4 Pro S (Statement) AWD Reservation 9/23/20
278 Posts
Coincidentally, VWoA just dropped a press release about this very topic the other day:

Is it American or dealers that prefer non-colored cars? I would prefer to buy a colored car, however, I care more about getting the right options. Whenever I shopped around I was never able to find a car with the right options that was not white, black or grey and would have needed to order the car to get the color I wanted. I feel that when dealers order their inventory, they stick to the white, greys and blacks as they are worried the other cars will sit on their lot.

It is ironic that VW dropped a press release pushing bright colors, yet the ID.4 Pro is only available in White, Black, Silver & Gray.

·
25 Posts

Ordered mine yesterday - deposit paid, apparently in build, due end of March ... Paid just over £35k GBP - I was surprised I was actually able to get so much off a new car, that hasn't even arrived in the UK yet !

·
25 Posts
ID4 1st and 1st max costs the same in the Netherlands comparing with france.

If you still want the goodies of the 1st max, but not everything. check the skoda enyaq. you can configurate that more to your liking, for maybe abit less.
But still 1st max is a steal for its price with everything it has.
Yes - I agree the Enyaq does represent very good value, and it's not bad looking as well (very BMW ish, in it's styling). The UK spec's for the Enyaq 80 start "low" but you have to add some "extras" to get it to match the ID.4 1st Edition (Comfort Pack, Assist, upgraded charger etc), which makes it almost the same price. In the end, I still think the VW badge is preferable to the Skoda and the VW will have a better established 2nd hand re-sale value.

For me - in the UK, we can't get the FE Max yet anyway, but when comparing all the "extras" (if I would want them or not), I would have only wanted the Pano-Roof ... I couldn't justify the (over) £8+k extra ...

·
25 Posts
Is it American or dealers that prefer non-colored cars? I would prefer to buy a colored car, however, I care more about getting the right options. Whenever I shopped around I was never able to find a car with the right options that was not white, black or grey and would have needed to order the car to get the color I wanted. I feel that when dealers order their inventory, they stick to the white, greys and blacks as they are worried the other cars will sit on their lot.

It is ironic that VW dropped a press release pushing bright colors, yet the ID.4 Pro is only available in White, Black, Silver & Gray.
I've noticed that (lack of colours of car's in the US) regardless of brand ... on my trips over the years ...

Any reason why? do you think it's public demand (or lack of)? or manufacturer's just dictating what they supply?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition arrived port-USA
374 Posts
That's a good question. I really don't know whether it was a chicken or egg thing. In our warmer southern/western states white cars make a lot of sense to stave off some solar loading, but it seems there are just as many in northern. Silver in our north makes a lot more sense as it doesn't show the winter road salt/sand spray as badly.

I've noticed that (lack of colours of car's in the US) regardless of brand ... on my trips over the years ...

Any reason why? do you think it's public demand (or lack of)? or manufacturer's just dictating what they supply?

·
25 Posts
In the UK it's probably fair to say that about 80% of cars are either White, Grey, Black (and afew Silver - not so popular now), we don't have the US heat/solar considerations with a colour - just road dirt and numerous pot-holes to cope with ! The other 15% of cars - I would say are "muted" colours - burgundy, green, dark blue, afew red etc ... less than 5% are "statement colours" - brighter, more shocking, pearlescent, or matt :)

Generally when it comes to European brands of car - we never get the full colour pallet that's available on the content, and in the UK we always get charged extra for anything that isn't a "Free base colour" ... for example "Urano Grey" is the base "Free Colour" that VW Offer in the UK - Prices for any other colour are typically £400+ extra.

It was a nice change to see with the ID.4 FE - the same four basic colours in Europe are all available and free in the UK !

·
278 Posts
I don't think it's a solar heat issue. In California, white is the most popular color, however, black is a close second which is not an ideal color. I do think it has much to do with what the dealers order from the factory and they would rather have the safer colors they know they can sell quickly. The free colors is another consideration, there is a certain unnamed American EV company that charges $1,000 for non-white and $2,000 for red (and none of their paints "pop").

Reactions: RocketVol

·
2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
128 Posts
from carmax:

Light colors seem to be prevalent here in Florida, but I do see a lot of black ones.....not a good idea unless you like cooking breakfast on the dash in the summer!

Reactions: Huey52

·
314 Posts
With a lot of snow in winter, and years with reduced visibility at intersections from piles of snow, plus driving in snow showers, white might be a small additional risk for visibility issues in some northern states. But, auto lighting has become so much better over the years, car color might be less of an issue now.

When I was following the Hyundai ioniq electric for some months, I was surprised how much blue was disfavored. My year of trying out the Ioniq was in white.

It's actually kind of nice to get into a dark car (interior anyway) when it's cold, but that only works late fall and early spring. The solar radiation is down so much in the winter, Dec/Jan sun does little to "pre-heat" the car, although any sun is good for the spirits :)

·
1st Edition - Arriving in US
520 Posts
VoA color palette is: Red, White, Blue, Black and sixteen shades of gray.

Reactions: Huey52

·
212 Posts
On one driving trip on German Autobahns in drizzle/fog/rain a few years back, I did an experiment to see what colors made a car more visible than others. To my surprise, white was the most visible; even in fog, and silver was the worst. The others were all about the same. Non-scientific, but useful as a real-world trial for what an average person's eyes can see. I've owned a lot of white cars since and only one silver one.

·
56 Posts
I live in Georgia. I’ve had a black car and I currently have a white car. There was no discernible difference in how hot the interior was between the two in the dead middle of summer. And that’s considering the fact my white car has all the windows tinted pretty well versus the black car did not. Also, the white car has a black interior whereas my black car had a light gray interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
278 Posts
On one driving trip on German Autobahns in drizzle/fog/rain a few years back, I did an experiment to see what colors made a car more visible than others. To my surprise, white was the most visible; even in fog, and silver was the worst. The others were all about the same. Non-scientific, but useful as a real-world trial for what an average person's eyes can see. I've owned a lot of white cars since and only one silver one.
I find the same issue - silver (a/k/a concrete colored) cars seem to be the hardest to see especially at dusk & dawn although really only applies to cars that do not have daylight running lights or similar which are becoming less & less. My last few cars have alternated between white and black and don't see much of a difference in heat (and I am in Los Angeles). With pre-conditioning, it's even less of an issue. I had an espresso colored Pathfinder years ago that I loved the color but I got t-boned 7 weeks after getting the car so obviously that was a poor color choice.

Reactions: TimD

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
I found this color chart for the 2019 Golf, so VW knows a thing or two about bright varied colors. I bet some of these colors cost a bunch of $$$$....

·
ID.4 1st Blue
214 Posts
That TNT Orange in the chart reminds me of a first gen Passat Wagon my dad had in the seventies. Definitely a highly visible car!

·
46 Posts
I found this color chart for the 2019 Golf, so VW knows a thing or two about bright varied colors. I bet some of these colors cost a bunch of $$$$....
That was the special "VW Spektrum" program for the 2019 Golf R (in the US and Canada). Special-order only and $2,500 extra. The standard colors that year were the usual white, black, gray, blue, and red. My understanding is that they didn't sell many (not that the Golf R is a big volume seller, anyway). As someone at my dealer told me, "everybody says they'd be glad to pay extra for some cool colors, but nobody did."

161 - 180 of 227 Posts