Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Questions??? (and hopefully answers)

113K views 700 replies 123 participants last post by  Anar900 
#1 ·
I had a few questions and thought a single thread might serve other people with their own questions as well.
Here are mine about the ID-4:
1) Is the rear cargo area cover easily removed? I've got a large dog that is use to jumping in the back on my current SUV and that cover looks to be an issue.
2) Is the acceleration rate the same regardless of battery state of charge?
3) Does the ID-4 have a spare tire?
4) Is it possible to get a ID-4 without the glass roof panel
5) Is it possible to get a trailer hitch on a FWD (only) ID-4?

#49 ·
OTA updates are possible and planned for all modules on the ID.4. While the proof will be in the pudding, I myself am fairly confident because VW has stated from the very beginning that OTA is a main goal.
Level 2 driver assist in ID.4 and Mach E are fairly comparable from what I have read, except for the camera supervision Ford uses, while VW needs steering wheel touch. The latter is real touch, not light force like Tesla that you can cheat with a weight.

#53 ·
Let me ask a more fundamental question: How is the fit and finish on this vehicle? I would expect that these cars on tour were gone over pretty well before they were shown to the public, but it might be worthwhile for those of you that have seen one in person to share their views.Things like panel fitment, paint, ie over-spray, runs, orange peel, and the like. On the inside: How is the stitching on the various places where two materials are joined together? How is the fitment on the door and other interior panels?

#58 ·
Here is another question concerning the various "tours" of the ID.4(s) in the US. Why is it that no one seems to know where these new vehicles will be and no info. is available to indicate which dealers make "the cut" on the tour? Hell, the dealers I have spoken with were not even aware there was a tour. That pretty pitiful!

#59 ·
Yes, I too am always mystified that we automotive forum enthusiasts often tend to know more than dealerships about such. But then I've talked with salespeople about a car that's sitting right next to them all day in the showroom and I have known more about it they they did. 🤷‍♂️

In fairness, my new-to-me local VW dealership has been very good about calling me multiple times in the past month or so. As always it comes down to the individual at a dealership and how customer oriented they are and motivated to be up to date and in the know.

#60 ·
Is there any "Conventional Wisdom" that you present or past owners of an EV can share with those of us new to the thoughts of ownership? Things like driving differences, upkeep, and anything else that might be helpful for a new EV owner to know.

#64 ·
OK, here's an important reminder for all EV owners. When driving your spouse's ICE car, remember to turn off the engine after you park - it was the umpteenth time this morning that I got out of her car and forgot to turn off the engine before leaving. (Since I have one-pedal driving, most times I don't even remember to put my car in park before leaving.)

#61 ·
I am trying to determine if the ID.4 will have any 12 volt power outlets (aka cigarette lighters)? My Honda Clarity plug-in has two of them, each of which runs on an independent circuit capable of a maximum of 180 watts each. I have grown to love them for things such as a 12 volt refrigerator/cooler.

I have asked a couple of VW dealers and they didn't know. I've read through the owner's manual and while it makes mention to a cigarette lighter, I can't find anything showing where it is or what capabilities it has. (the one reference I found was a safety warning that you shouldn't try to charge the vehicle's 12 volt battery through the cigarette lighter.

If anyone has any information you can share, that would be great. Otherwise, can anyone advise how to reach someone at VW of America that may be able to research this?

I have two ID.4's on order. Thank you!

#63 ·
Not a fan of people asking the same question in multiple threads but here...

From the Owner's Manual (P. 193-4) looks like there is one up front and one in the luggage compartment. Continuous power of all 12-volt sockets in the vehicle is 120 watts in total. The maximum power of a 12-volt socket in the vehicle is a total of 180 watts when the vehicle’s drive system is activated. The 12-volt socket will work only when the ignition is switched on.

Reactions: Huey52
#62 ·
Seems to me I read if you opted for the Statement package, there was a 12v outlet in the back. No idea on it's power capabilities.

#68 ·
Does anybody know how much power the battery heater takes? My foggy memory says I read 5kW somewhere, but I can't find that info now.

#69 ·
Ford's intelligent speed control will maintain a set speed going down steep hills. Does anyone know if Travel Assist will do that? I saw a demonstration of adaptive speed control (not Travel Assist) on an ID.3, and it did not maintain the set speed, rather the car went faster than it should have. All of the demos I've seen of Travel Assist on various VW vehicles has been on flat terrain.

#72 · (Edited)
If driving manually, a significant downhill grade would be a good case to go to B for higher regeneration (recuperation).

Question is, does travel assist (and/or adaptive cc alone) respond to D or B settings, or does they do their own thing regarding regeneration (i.e. ignore the D or B selection)?

(Chris from Battery life says it does not matter ID.3 B or D for cc, and that his ID.3 maintains set speed fine either downhill or uphill)

#70 ·
#71 ·
Some good insight on the more subtle questions from this always appreciated reviewer, e.g. capacitive feedback steering wheel @ ~11:42 (and hence shouldn't be covered):

Note also that the presumed US FE (dusk blue in this video) comes with less options than its Euro counterpart (gold "1st Max"). But then for the price not bad at all.

#80 ·
After owning 3 VW's and dealing with 6 different dealerships. I have NO confidence in any VW dealer to fix a car correctly. One of the reasons I have my own lift.

#78 ·
Very good confidence... I have 2 Master Certified Technicians here and on the entire West Coast there are approx 10. One of which has been certified on the eGolf for the past 5 years so that we can sell Certified Pre-Owned eGolfs...Arizona is not a ZEV state for VW, so we have limited resources to go with, however we are also a Penske Automotive Group store at a large complex with Audi, Porsche BMW etc... so we also have the infrastructure built in our campus already. I have the largest number of pre-orders for our location in the state, up to 15 FE... so we are ramping up quick.

#79 ·
Gen 1 Chevy Volt had this really cool looking center vertical console with many tens of back lit capacitive buttons. But, then about the fortieth time you turned something on or off by accidentally brushing over a button, it was a lot less fun.

The only thing I hope is that gesture control is not like that, with false detections and actions.

#91 ·
Good comparison. I was originally going to get the [US] lower shown Pro S non-Gradient but now the upper FE. The 19" wheels likely contribute to a bit more comfortable ride but I do like the more-silver 20" wheels and cladding/rail trim. Family & friends all comment on the nice wheels in particular.
I found these on a Dutch dealer site:

View attachment 1330

#98 ·
I cant disable it. so I cant make the direct comparison between the wheels, but the 19's should feel softer ofc. will see if i feel a difference Soontm

#101 ·
Are there no ID.4's touring America these days?
I haven't heard of any dealer showings, but there have been some test car spottings. Here's a Moonstone Grey unit that was spotted in Tampa and posted to the VW ID.4 Facebook group yesterday. I saw a Reddit post of Dusk Blue Pro S unit at an undisclosed EA charging station.

#103 ·
Here are a couple of more comparisons of Pro S vs Pro S Gradient. I previously thought that I liked the silver treatment and 20-inch wheels better, but the more I have been looking at them I'm starting to think that I prefer the black treatment. I have to decide in the next few days to lock in my order.