Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience or insight into the range difference between the larger battery RWD and AWD? I like the idea of AWD and the increased horsepower but am concerned about what it might do to range. Thank you.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
1,156 Posts
If you've never had any EV before, then beware that the use of whatever horsepower it has greatly affects the range - Really, really greatly. If you like to stand on it from time to time, your 250 miles of range could quickly become 125 or even less. If you LIKE the extra HP the AWD version has, well you're certainly gonna pay for it with reduced range. The published range figures for any EV are examples of pretty docile driving habits - It may take you some practice to even get close to those

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am trying to decide between the larger battery AWD and RWD. We live in KY so while we get some snow/ice, not in an extreme climate area. Our dealers have not had any of the ID4s available for a test drive so I am ordering without having driven. For those who have or have driven the ID4, can you help with my questions on AWD vs. RWD?

• Is the difference in power/hp noticeable in the AWD? Would the RWD feel sluggish?
  • I have seen range figures of 280 miles for the RWD and 251 for the AWD. Is that about accurate in your driving experience? Some have suggested the lower range in the AWD can be more dramatic than 30 miles.
  • Any other insights that might be helpful in choosing between the RDW and AWD?

Thank you.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,124 Posts
Is the difference in power/hp noticeable in the AWD?
Yes very noticeable after you have driven a AWD. Try to get a test drive of both. The handling and cornering is also better due to more ground clearance, bigger springs and dampers, and a bigger anti-roll bar on AWD.
I have seen range figures of 280 miles for the RWD and 251 for the AWD. Is that about accurate in your driving experience? Some have suggested the lower range in the AWD can be more dramatic than 30 miles.
No you can't go by the EPA figures. It all depends on how much you accelerate fast and use the extra power. I get 280 on my AWD including 10% of miles on my 1000' vertical off road 4WD driveway, when the rest of the trip is 45mph. For the 2023 they lowered the RWD to 275 and raised the AWD to 255 on the Pro trim.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very interesting — so you are getting up to 280 miles of range in the AWD? That is excellent. I am an average driver, not super aggressive.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,747 Posts
That's why I've resisted test driving an AWD. ;)
Yes very noticeable after you have driven a AWD. Try to get a test drive of both. The handling and cornering is also better due to more ground clearance, bigger springs and dampers, and a bigger anti-roll bar on AWD.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,124 Posts
Very interesting — so you are getting up to 280 miles of range in the AWD?
Yes and this is not babying it, I get 280 most of the time on summer trips where I don't exceed 55mph, even though like I said 10% of my driving is 1000' vertical, dirt AWD driveway which lowers the range. I would likely be getting 300 mile range if not for that, since I have watched the front motor current and it uses it the entire time going up the driveway. (3.6-3.7 mi/kwh)

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not familiar with the battery technology and OTA updates. As the tech gets better in the next few years, is it likely that the range would improve through an OTA update or is that not really the way it works?

·
156 Posts
I am trying to decide between the larger battery AWD and RWD. We live in KY so while we get some snow/ice, not in an extreme climate area. Our dealers have not had any of the ID4s available for a test drive so I am ordering without having driven. For those who have or have driven the ID4, can you help with my questions on AWD vs. RWD?

• Is the difference in power/hp noticeable in the AWD? Would the RWD feel sluggish?
  • I have seen range figures of 280 miles for the RWD and 251 for the AWD. Is that about accurate in your driving experience? Some have suggested the lower range in the AWD can be more dramatic than 30 miles.
  • Any other insights that might be helpful in choosing between the RDW and AWD?

Thank you.
Range generally matters in more extreme circumstances. If one has a long travel leg in extremely cold temps in bad/icy weather, that's when the mileage difference may matter.

The typical remedy, which is growing by the day, is simply to have more charging stops. Instead of travelling 180 miles between charges, it may end up being 90-100 miles between charges in those conditions.

Other than that the effective differences are marginal as everyone charging at home to 80% on a daily basis simply won't tap into that differential range.

So, what it really comes down to is potential usage. If one is in a winter climate where AWD can be used effectively on a regular basis, then that should be the selection criteria as opposed to any potential range differences.

ga2500ev

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,124 Posts
I am not familiar with the battery technology and OTA updates. As the tech gets better in the next few years, is it likely that the range would improve through an OTA update or is that not really the way it works?
They already improved the range slightly between 2021 and 22, and it was all software revisions, likely to the battery heating when cold. The EPA test is 25% done in cold 20F conditions, so is an easy place for VW to tweak the temperatures where the battery heater operates. VW already announced this is what they did. The 21s may get some of that if we ever get the 3.1 update.

Some of the DCFC improved speed from 145 to 170kw could be due to the new battery chemistry in the 2023s.

·
156 Posts
Range is based on efficiency. While an OTA could have a minor effect on it, it's doubtful that there would be a major range jump via OTA.

If you really need more range you have to drive more efficiently. In general that means just slow down. The real problem with range is that folks want to drive 80-85 MPH in cold, bad weather conditions with the expectation that they will get the same range as on a warm summer day driving 65. The EPA estimates are the latter. There's no way to get the range with the former, OTA update or not.

ga2500ev

1 - 12 of 12 Posts