Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

It really highlights the limitations of taking an EV on a trip. Combined with the poor charging station 馃殙 results. Electrify America is notorious for not working leaving you stranded within no service. It does have me nervous about spending 50k (AWD model) for a car I may not be able to take on trips.

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
It really highlights the limitations of taking an EV on a trip. Combined with the poor charging station 馃殙 results. Electrify America is notorious for not working leaving you stranded within no service. It does have me nervous about spending 50k (AWD model) for a car I may not be able to take on trips.
They have replaced a large number of stations recently - the belief was that they were replacing the problematic ones. Is it better? Don't know - I don't drive enough to say right now.

Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
I ran some numbers for another thread that mentioned this article. Chargeway estimates 22 more miles if the ID.4 had been tested at 75掳F which would bring the ID.4 almost within spitting distance of the Y LR in their hands.

Looking at this further! We should be impressed that the ID.4 achieved 76% of its estimated range in this 75mph tested while faced with 40 degree temperatures. Whilst the Tesla Model Y long range only achieved 67.5% in the same test in 75 degree temperatures. I suspect the ID.4 would see at least another 20 miles given the same ambient temperatures.

VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
Looking at this further! We should be impressed that the ID.4 achieved 76% of its estimated range in this 75mph tested while faced with 40 degree temperatures. Whilst the Tesla Model Y long range only achieved 67.5% in the same test in 75 degree temperatures. I suspect the ID.4 would see at least another 20 miles given the same ambient temperatures.
Add 50 mi atleast ;) It gets super [relative] economical at higher temps.

Manufacturers are piling on EA. Lucid recently announced. I think the network will grow and be dependable
I would hope so. Currently the expansion on the interstate network has pretty much stopped with a couple of exception and the focus is on CA and a few other large metropolitan areas. I am not sure that is very wise, since many within a couple of year can either charge at home or at work, while travelling without a reliable network (yes, even in North Dakota or West Virginia) will be difficult or for some routes impossible.

I would hope so. Currently the expansion on the interstate network has pretty much stopped with a couple of exception and the focus is on CA and a few other large metropolitan areas. I am not sure that is very wise, since many within a couple of year can either charge at home or at work, while travelling without a reliable network (yes, even in North Dakota or West Virginia) will be difficult or for some routes impossible.
agree. Even with the focus on California there鈥檚 only 10 measles chargers in Barstow鈥 the main connector between SoCal and Vegas 鈥 and many of them don鈥檛 work reliably. Tesla has 16 there and many more on the 15.

ID.4 Pro S AWD
agree. Even with the focus on California there鈥檚 only 10 measles chargers in Barstow鈥 the main connector between SoCal and Vegas 鈥 and many of them don鈥檛 work reliably. Tesla has 16 there and many more on the 15.
That's the key - we don't need more stations (well some more); but more chargers at each station. Relatively speaking, there are not many vehicles right now using CCS but every new non-Tesla car being introduced will be CCS and as more people buy long-range EVs, the need for CCS will grow exponentially vs Teslas.

Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
I expect EA to go a similar route as Tesla. When available chargers are insufficient they will add more (space permitting). Or add another station nearby as they already do here in Southern California. With real-time occupation feedback into apps and the car nav we should be in decent shape.
Also, don't forget GM aligning with EVgo, which will mean a good expansion of that network, and then Rivian adding chargers out there in National Parks and RV parks. I believe the future looks charged. :):cool:

2021 First Edition
There's 8 150kw EA stations in Barstow, plus 5 62.5 kw Chargepoints, plus 3 more Chargepoints in Yermo.

Up the road in Baker are another 8 EA stations, 6 EVgo stations (up to 350kw) and 4 more Chargepoints.

Plus, there's a bunch more in Victorville, plus a few free 50kw stations at the rest stops courtesy of California Energy Commision.

I could manage the trip in my 100+ mile RAV4 EV. It's going to be downright easy in the ID.4

VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
Yeh, but I noticed that he drove at no more than 60 mpg the whole way ......really ?? ( 92 kmpg )
Goal was breaching the 400km on a single charge. Few tests showed me 100kph/60mph would be right on the money (400km tops) and 90kph would give me a buffer just incase.

And also we have a speed limit of 100kph here at daylight. So much faster I wouldn't be able to go;)

Reactions: Melodiacoffee

2021 First Edition
Pretty much what I expected in terms of range. I'm sure it'll get 250+ if you don't get too crazy. My RAV4 EV was EPA rated at 103 miles, but I could easily get 120 if I kept it to 70mph and kept the acceleration/braking gentle. A lot of it is how you drive the thing. Temperature, hills, even tire pressure can also have an effect.

With some of these range tests, I question how the reviewers are actually driving.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.