Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
208 Posts
I drive pretty easily- generally get pretty high guess on the meter.
Of course, since the heater is still broken and too cold for AC- that means better range too. I go speed limit always, almost always slow accleration/deceleration (Unless grandkids want the ‘turbo’ mode ha!)
Edit: oh yeah, I have not even had it over 60mph yet. No roads I’ve been on since buying it have a speed limit over that. So 55/60mph for highway and backroads slower than that.

6 cents per kWh doesn’t hurt either.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Grille

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5 miles over speed limit.
Used adaptive cruise and travel assist even on empty back roads.
Use regenerate braking on driving unless flat hiways.
Always eco mode.
Almost never use brakes.
Slow acceleration during driving.
I also have Pro Awd. With 19” wheels.
Lighter and more efficient.

·
168 Posts
5 miles over speed limit.
Used adaptive cruise and travel assist even on empty back roads.
Use regenerate braking on driving unless flat hiways.
Always eco mode.
Almost never use brakes.
Slow acceleration during driving.
I also have Pro Awd. With 19” wheels.
Lighter and more efficient.
The brake pedal is regenerative (only), unless you push beyond a certain level then it adds physical brakes as well.

·
2021 ID.4 RWD Pro S
39 Posts
The brake pedal is regenerative (only), unless you push beyond a certain level then it adds physical brakes as well.
It seems to me that the physical brakes come on fairly early into the pedal, although maybe not as hard as an ICE. I frequently hear faint squeal from them, and I wouldn’t say I’m hard on the brakes.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
1,069 Posts
I pretty regularly get 220 to 225 when charging to 70% - Mostly depends on whether I've had any freeway miles during the previous charge

·
2021 ID.4 AWD ProS
150 Posts
Interesting timing on this thread:

Just made a short round-trip down to Atlanta Saturday morning. (a bit over 100 mi one-way)

Car had been "puttering" around the local area all week before charging-up to 90% Friday night.

Departed with GOM: 256 Miles @ 90% SoC

114 actual Miles later (mostly @ 75 MPH) GOM: 102 Miles at 40% SoC

(i.e. the GOM "lost" about 40 "additional" miles on a 114 mile trip)

This isn't a "criticism" or a "dig" ... I fully understand why ...

It just illustrates how "Past performance isn't necessarily predictive of future performance"

I'm also glad I'm not in a VW service department trying to explain this to a "certain type of individual."

Summary: There is still a need to use the, "Is this reasonable validation device" located between one's ears.

·
Premium Member
Pro S AWD | Moonstone | Lunar Grey
332 Posts
My understanding of the GOM is the reported range is based on what you are doing at the time. Pretty much it’s telling tou if you keep doing what you’re doing this is how far you’re going to get. An example is turning on full defrost and seeing your range drop by 40km, turning it off and it goes back up.

My wife left to go hiking one morning with the battery at 40% and GOM showing 170km. An hour later she called me in panic because the GOM was down to 60km. Turns out she had been driving up a local mountain and by the time she got up there the GOM estimated her range based on what she was doing. Range when up substantially on her way down.

·
1,052 Posts
My understanding of the GOM is the reported range is based on what you are doing at the time. Pretty much it’s telling tou if you keep doing what you’re doing this is how far you’re going to get. An example is turning on full defrost and seeing your range drop by 40km, turning it off and it goes back up.

My wife left to go hiking one morning with the battery at 40% and GOM showing 170km. An hour later she called me in panic because the GOM was down to 60km. Turns out she had been driving up a local mountain and by the time she got up there the GOM estimated her range based on what she was doing. Range when up substantially on her way down.
It uses that along with past driving info. to estimate range. It’s not too much different than the ICE versions in our other vehicles. It is just much more susceptible to dramatic changes due to the different technology

·
2021 ID.4 AWD ProS
150 Posts
It’s not too much different than the ICE versions in our other vehicles. It is just much more susceptible to dramatic changes due to the different technology
I actually think that the GOM works pretty well.

My wholly unplanned spur-of-the-moment Saturday AM "experiment" was about as extreme as possible (an initial estimate based on 'round-town "puttering" ... and transitioning to steady-state 75 MPH)

I only wish I'd noticed when those 40-miles "evaporated" ... I suspect it was pretty soon after accelerating to 75 on I-75 ... ???

That'll be the subject of "another investigation" in the coming weeks, ;)

·
1,052 Posts
I actually think that the GOM works pretty well.

My wholly unplanned spur-of-the-moment Saturday AM "experiment" was about as extreme as possible (an initial estimate based on 'round-town "puttering" ... and transitioning to steady-state 75 MPH)

I only wish I'd noticed when those 40-miles "evaporated" ... I suspect it was pretty soon after accelerating to 75 on I-75 ... ???

That'll be the subject of "another investigation" in the coming weeks, ;)
I didn’t mean to imply that it did not work well. More just pointing out how the EV is a different animal and the range can change more based on more factors that ICE vehicles don’t contend with. Or at least have smaller effects. The major one being heat management. ICE vehicles are constantly trying to shed heat due to the combustion process. So if the driver needs some of that heat it is easy to tap into and causes no noticeable change in range. The EV however has to get heat somewhere. So taps into the battery for more to accomplish that.
That is just one of the examples of how the tech can cause the range estimate to change.

·
39 Posts
That's a guess. Did you actually get 300 miles? That's the important part. Its like my kids telling me "No worries Dad, I will ACE the test. Can I go out? ". and then when they take the test, they get a "C". Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did 178 miles Sunday
Mostly 55 mph plus.
Averaged 3.4 kw per mile so far that would be 262 mile range.
i now have done 183 miles. It says 83 miles left. So driving around town I’m already seeing an increase to 266.
My wife was also with me the whole time.
So two people in the vehicle.
I’ll run it to almost empty to give a real number.
But with more than 50% Highway I’ll bet I’ll be close to 280. If it had been all in town I’d hit 300.

·
39 Posts
I did 178 miles Sunday
Mostly 55 mph plus.
Averaged 3.4 kw per mile so far that would be 262 mile range.
i now have done 183 miles. It says 83 miles left. So driving around town I’m already seeing an increase to 266.
My wife was also with me the whole time.
So two people in the vehicle.
I’ll run it to almost empty to give a real number.
But with more than 50% Highway I’ll bet I’ll be close to 280. If it had been all in town I’d hit 300.
But you are still guessing. This is like me asking my teacher to give me a 100% on a 50 question test based on me getting the first 30 questions correct. Those last 80 miles could be totally different than your first 180 miles.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,906 Posts
Could be guessing, but in my experience the final nail-biting 10% or so is conservative, and there's always some reserve "in the tank," so to speak.

I think when I drive it down to 30% or so and interpolate the remainder, I end up with a reliable representation of actual full capacity range.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts