Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,248 Posts
Could be guessing, but in my experience the final nail-biting 10% or so is conservative, and there's always some reserve "in the tank," so to speak.

I think when I drive it down to 30% or so and interpolate the remainder, I end up with a reliable representation of actual full capacity range.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,248 Posts
Don’t be so impatient. I will be driving throughout town the next two weeks and I will post results.
If you can't do it all in a straight shot or at best a few long segments, I don't feel it's necessarily representative of "full capacity range" because of non-driving variables.

There's a overhead load for general housekeeping while the vehicle is immobile. Generally this is probably insignificant, but it's not zero.

Then there's battery conditioning and cabin conditioning, which can be significant depending on ambient temperature. Granted if temps are mild that's one thing, but if over multiple days the AC has to purge the cabin at startup, or the battery cooling system is doing something greater than what it might be doing over three hours of highway cruising (or whatever "a trip" might represent to you), then I'm not sure you'd be seeing a total range number that's reflective of what most users think of when they want to know how far their battery can take them on a full charge.

It won't be an invalid number, just (possibly) a different number than "A to B."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts