Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,248 Posts
Don’t be so impatient. I will be driving throughout town the next two weeks and I will post results.
If you can't do it all in a straight shot or at best a few long segments, I don't feel it's necessarily representative of "full capacity range" because of non-driving variables.

There's a overhead load for general housekeeping while the vehicle is immobile. Generally this is probably insignificant, but it's not zero.

Then there's battery conditioning and cabin conditioning, which can be significant depending on ambient temperature. Granted if temps are mild that's one thing, but if over multiple days the AC has to purge the cabin at startup, or the battery cooling system is doing something greater than what it might be doing over three hours of highway cruising (or whatever "a trip" might represent to you), then I'm not sure you'd be seeing a total range number that's reflective of what most users think of when they want to know how far their battery can take them on a full charge.

It won't be an invalid number, just (possibly) a different number than "A to B."

·
4 Posts
When the weather here in the Chicago area was around 60-75, and I wasn't running either the heat or the A/C, I was routinely showing 295 to 305 miles at the beginning of a full charge. I don't drive like a granny or anything. I just drive like I have the mother in law as a passenger, and even then I sometimes open it up just to feel the power.

·
48 Posts
Hmm. Was going to write this a couple of days ago: I charged recently, and instead of getting a 32 mile an hour charge speed I got 43 mph. And when I had charged to 100%, the range given was 350 miles. Never seen it this high or charged this fast. Granted, it was 75 degrees out, so maybe that made a difference. Strange.

·
83 Posts
It is just much more susceptible to dramatic changes due to the different technology
Exactly, Because an EV is so Efficient with its "FUEL" it requires far less for any amount of given range.

The amount of Energy in our ID4 Battery at 80% SOC has equivalent energy potential of 1.8 gallons of gasoline and we can go anywhere from 160 to 250 miles from 80 percent SOC.

This means even small to moderate changes in our Driving Efficiency can result in very large swings of Potential Range.

If gasoline could approach anything close to 100 Miles per gallon, I don't think to many people would be complaining about $5.00 Gas.

John

·
45 Posts
When the weather here in the Chicago area was around 60-75, and I wasn't running either the heat or the A/C, I was routinely showing 295 to 305 miles at the beginning of a full charge. I don't drive like a granny or anything. I just drive like I have the mother in law as a passenger, and even then I sometimes open it up just to feel the power.
The mileage estimates are based on your current MPG, not an average. There are about 6 different test cycles. A lot of people get on a highway and run at a fixed speed and then report their results. They can vary widely. Car & Driver has reported that EVs lose about 41% range in cold weather driving and 19% in hot weather driving. They are also based on using DC fast charge up to 100% to get those range estimates. One EV site says that VW's battery warranty is the same as Tesla's 8 years or 100,000 miles. But another site says this is to about 77% capacity. I'm not going to drive in such a way that the battery loses that much capacity.

Just as with ICE vehicles a BAD driver can waste up to 25% of range. I've never gotten as little mileage as the EPA rating suggests. I really don't have enough information on the ID.4 to know all that I wish to know.

I don't believe that the ID.4 has a heat pump. Tesla 3s sold in the USA (I believe) do not either. But Canadian models do.
I do not like the assumption that a 10% reserve is adequate. That is only 28 miles (at best). I want to be warned at 50 miles range, especially due to the lack of chargers where I live. I wonder if a person could buy a Canadian model and if it would have a heat pump.

·
83 Posts
Hmm. Was going to write this a couple of days ago: I charged recently, and instead of getting a 32 mile an hour charge speed I got 43 mph. And when I had charged to 100%, the range given was 350 miles. Never seen it this high or charged this fast. Granted, it was 75 degrees out, so maybe that made a difference. Strange.
Can't wait till we get the Software update, then we will get a REAL NUMBER when Charging, instead of Added range in How Many Miles added per hour of Charging (WHICH IS COMPLETELY STUPID as it's totally based on the GOM) we will get the actual rate of charging in KW's, or why not display the rate of #'s of Kwh's being stored per minute.

·
45 Posts
Exactly, Because an EV is so Efficient with its "FUEL" it requires far less for any amount of given range.

The amount of Energy in our ID4 Battery at 80% SOC has equivalent energy potential of 1.8 gallons of gasoline and we can go anywhere from 160 to 250 miles from 80 percent SOC.

This means even small to moderate changes in our Driving Efficiency can result in very large swings of Potential Range.

If gasoline could approach anything close to 100 Miles per gallon, I don't think to many people would be complaining about $5.00 Gas.

John
VW has the XL-1. It gets 269 Miles per gallon. It's a four passenger. It cost $6 Million to make. VW was supposed to lease about 100 of them but I've heard very little since. It's a Diesel Hybrid with every feature needed to get that MPG. The first version got about 239 mpg. It's NOT a practical design.

To get 100 mpg an automobile has to have an extremely low coefficient of drag. It also has to have an engine that produces just enough to achieve a decent top speed. People today have gotten used to cars that regularly accelerate from 0 to 60 in 7 seconds or less. This was the performance of the typical sports car in the 50s. I was driving motorcycles that could do this is 2.1 seconds in the 70s. Today's EVs in general, have too much HP. This wastes range. That extreme performance is how some makers sell into this niche market.

When the Honda Insight first came out it was getting 72 mpg. After a software update for pollution this dropped to about 55.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts