Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends,
so, after a few weeks with my first edition ID4, I can report that in my hands - or should I say: under my foot? - the real life range of the car is 270 miles. Drove 265 miles until it was down to 3% charge and had 10 miles left to go. Temperature was around 60 degrees plus minus 10, using mostly the B mode. I am pleasantly surprised! Best, Klaus

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
709 Posts
Nice, congratulations! I knew we'd get there, now we have proof.

·
88 Posts
Dear Friends,
so, after a few weeks with my first edition ID4, I can report that in my hands - or should I say: under my foot? - the real life range of the car is 270 miles. Drove 265 miles until it was down to 3% charge and had 10 miles left to go. Temperature was around 60 degrees plus minus 10, using mostly the B mode. I am pleasantly surprised! Best, Klaus
It sounds as if you drove it around town during your typically driving patterns? This would seem to match some of the reports I've seen, that in "city" driving it will exceed the 250 mile range. OTOH, driving at highway speeds (70-75 mph) on road trips you only get about 230(ish) miles of range.

·
2021 First Edition
179 Posts
Similar results here. In town, normal driving, mix of city/freeway, I'm getting 270+

·
76 Posts
Two days into monitoring my commute. Started Monday morning with 80% charge and 220 miles of range. Tuesday evening having driven 43 miles, the GOM shows 183 miles and the SOC at 62%. I've been in full on "B" mode (Trying to learn to like it.) and staying off limited access roadways. Admittedly new to EV math, my calculation is 295 * .62 = 182.9. I'd round that to 300!

·
186 Posts
It sounds as if you drove it around town during your typically driving patterns? This would seem to match some of the reports I've seen, that in "city" driving it will exceed the 250 mile range. OTOH, driving at highway speeds (70-75 mph) on road trips you only get about 230(ish) miles of range.
That’s fine on trips you are ready to stop for a break after 200 miles anyway 😎

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition Dusk Blue
75 Posts
We had an estimated range of 318 miles, and that was after a day of mostly highway driving. This was for 100% charge, of course.

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, City and suburban driving, only 10% highway. Makes sense that if one goes 75 miles an hours for three hours, battery would be empty. In the meantime I am very happy about the real-life range! Klaus

·
88 Posts
Yes, City and suburban driving, only 10% highway. Makes sense that if one goes 75 miles an hours for three hours, battery would be empty. In the meantime I am very happy about the real-life range! Klaus
If it weren't for the sparse fast charging availability, 230 miles would be fine for me. My issue, looking at road trips that I am wanting to take, there are too many stretches where 230 is barely enough -- in one case ABRP claims I can make it if I drive 45 mph.

·
2 Posts
I can add a datapoint. My daily commute is 30 miles one way (60 miles total), mostly highways 70mph+. I usually drive between 75-80mph most of the way. My range is only about 180-200 miles. Of note, I use the massaging seats almost constantly (and they're awesome), I also have A/C and LTE/wifi hotspot going the whole time.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
709 Posts
I can add a datapoint. My daily commute is 30 miles one way (60 miles total), mostly highways 70mph+. I usually drive between 75-80mph most of the way. My range is only about 180-200 miles. Of note, I use the massaging seats almost constantly (and they're awesome), I also have A/C and LTE/wifi hotspot going the whole time.
I think for your speed that's about the expected range. Wind resistance goes up by speed squared, i.e. a lot.

·
45 Posts
I'll add my own data point. I just passed the 1000 mile mark in one month's time.

I'd say this is 60/40 more local roads and highways vs interstate highway for my commute, which is 21 miles one way. This is translating to 262 miles on a full charge. I'd say the average temp has been around 50s F, so during the summer it will only get better. I'm driving primarily in B mode with ACC when I'm on state highways or interstates/turnpike areas.

·
14 Posts
I can mostly second the 270 range. I got to 8% after doing 250 miles. There were many hills and once it started getting low I put it in eco without climate. I arrived home with about a 20 mile range. I’m pretty sure you would get that or more the way the math was working out. The regen does make a big difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts