Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,300 Posts
I sometimes [incorrectly] call it a "condenser" myself, mindful that is the 'end' product of the refrigeration cycle, compressing-condensing the refrigerant back to its high pressure state. But yes, in context a by-product condensate from the evaporator process as the cold air is passed to the cabin [actually heat is moved outside, so left with cold, but ...].
I recently repiped my home air handler A/C coil condensate line, as a marginal initial installer effort. Never ceases to amaze me how much moisture the conditioning process can pull from even mildly humid San Diego-esque air. ;)
All the best with your upcoming dealership visit and do let us know if/when resolved.
Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry Pattern

Actually, it is the condensate drain, coming from the evaporator. This is if it is in fact coming from the AC unit and not a leak from an external source.

·
Super Moderator
1,089 Posts
Yes, it is confusing because the condenser condenses the refrigerant in the closed-loop, while the evaporator condenses the water vapor in the air back to a liquid state.

I sometimes [incorrectly] call it a "condenser" myself, mindful that is the 'end' product of the refrigeration cycle, compressing-condensing the refrigerant back to its high pressure state. But yes, in context a by-product condensate from the evaporator process as the cold air is passed to the cabin [actually heat is moved outside, so left with cold, but ...].
I recently repiped my home air handler A/C coil condensate line, as a marginal initial installer effort. Never ceases to amaze me how much moisture the conditioning process can pull from even mildly humid San Diego-esque air. ;)
All the best with your upcoming dealership visit and do let us know if/when resolved.
View attachment 5352

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S Dusk Blue
116 Posts
I'm not sure where you are located, but I'm in East Chula Vista and I purchased my ID.4 at Herman Cook Volkswagen in Encinitas and so far, I haven't had any problems with them. I had my 60 day checkup there and I'm bringing it there for the seat belt recall on Tuesday.

·
Super Moderator
1,089 Posts
The only thing I can think of is water from the condensate drain of the evaporator. Maybe a loose drain hose? Did the dealer check this?
Is there any further information on this issue?

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Is there any further information on this issue?
Regarding the quote; my dealer said this was checked, but it’s really impossible. I commented on this earlier. As I said before, I am going to another dealership on Thursday and will update the thread when I finish.

·
ID.4 AWD Pro
43 Posts
Still no update? I don't see ANY condensate under the car (2 day old AWD) after my wife got home today from her hour long drive (obviously with AC on). So the condensation runs under the front of the car normally? Driver or passenger side?

Would like to get ahead of this if it's an assembly problem... Thanks!

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Update: So I brought the car in on Sep 9th as planned to a different location. I specifically told them that the condensate drain from the AC was the likely issue (Especially with no outside water under the car). Long story short..... I couldn't get anyone to call me back, email me, or text me with any sort of update. After some disgruntled comments to them I finally get an answer on Wed the 15th. AND surprise surprise, it was the condenser drain. They are saying the drain is not properly connected to the compressor causing the water to drain directly into the car. They are apparently ordering new parts to completely replace it. no idea when it will be done as we have to wait for parts to come in.

Also, I didn't have to argue much to get the carpets and foam replaced. It was all under warranty.

With customer service being so spotty, I am not going to consider this closed until I actually get the car back and test it myself. But anyone with similar issues should make this the first priority.

·
ID.4 AWD Pro
43 Posts
Update: So I brought the car in on Sep 9th as planned to a different location. I specifically told them that the condensate drain from the AC was the likely issue (Especially with no outside water under the car). Long story short..... I couldn't get anyone to call me back, email me, or text me with any sort of update. After some disgruntled comments to them I finally get an answer on Wed the 15th. AND surprise surprise, it was the condenser drain. They are saying the drain is not properly connected to the compressor causing the water to drain directly into the car. They are apparently ordering new parts to completely replace it. no idea when it will be done as we have to wait for parts to come in.

Also, I didn't have to argue much to get the carpets and foam replaced. It was all under warranty.

With customer service being so spotty, I am not going to consider this closed until I actually get the car back and test it myself. But anyone with similar issues should make this the first priority.
Thank you for the update!

·
28 Posts
@Wleslie, Could you share your different service location choice. Just for reference. Although everyone may have different experiences with results at service locations I hate to give the difficult ones more business until they change.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,300 Posts
Good to hear it’s progressing. Of course they should have told you it was the condensate line from the Evaporator (aka cooling coil). ;)

·
787 Posts

Please provide service ticket once was finished...wanna see parts involved beside drain line.

·
ID.4 AWD Pro
43 Posts
How can any parts even be involved other than just moving the drain line to the correct location to discharge (meaning - shouldn't the correct parts already be there)?!?! This seems like an incredibly silly assembly error if so... I mean any/all refrigerant systems will have an evaporator with drain pan underneath and a pipe/hose to discharge the water... How can this go so wrong.....

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,300 Posts
I agree. It's hard to comprehend that it was installed improperly at the factory or by a sub-assembly vendor. But despite the best efforts of source and line inspectors errors can be made.

Or possibly a bad/blocked line? I had to re-pipe my home air handler A/C condensate line that I finally diagnosed as blocked by some residual construction debris. Well, actually I could have just cleared it, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to over-engineer a new one. ;)
How can any parts even be involved other than just moving the drain line to the correct location to discharge (meaning - shouldn't the correct parts already be there)?!?! This seems like an incredibly silly assembly error if so... I mean any/all refrigerant systems will have an evaporator with drain pan underneath and a pipe/hose to discharge the water... How can this go so wrong.....

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,132 Posts
Sounds like carpeting is being replaced as well, which could explain the need for parts.

·
Super Moderator
1,089 Posts
The drain pan could be cracked or in some way damaged and need replacing

21 - 40 of 49 Posts