Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently during an 1100 mile trip the rear traffic and side traffic alerts go off, but then come back on when restarting the car. Then after about 50 miles or so they would go off again! Anyone experienced that?

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
98 Posts
I lost side assist and rear traffic alerts, both due to "no sensor view". This happened twice, once each on the only longish (~80 mile) drives I've done. This was back on 5/13, and since then I've only driven short distances (under 20 miles) and it hasn't happened.

Last month Perfessere reported a similar issue that was due to a mechanical fault ID.4 version 0792 Software Bug Reports...

·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I lost side assist and rear traffic alerts, both due to "no sensor view". This happened twice, once each on the only longish (~80 mile) drives I've done. This was back on 5/13, and since then I've only driven short distances (under 20 miles) and it hasn't happened.

Last month Perfessere reported a similar issue that was due to a mechanical fault ID.4 version 0792 Software Bug Reports...
I had not had this issue until this trip, but this is my first long trip. At my first visit to the dealer I will have them check it out.

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
98 Posts
I had not had this issue until this trip, but this is my first long trip. At my first visit to the dealer I will have them check it out.
I'll be doing the same in about a month (60 day visit). Let's trade notes on what we fine (or don't find).

·
2 Posts
Just picked up my Pro S this week and I started getting this error constantly. "Error: side assist and rear traffic alert". I guess I'll have to get a service appointment unless anyone's aware of a simple fix that can be done.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
192 Posts
I did it get it once. side assist and rear traffic alert pair issue.. it fixed itself after 30 mins driving.

·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just picked up my Pro S this week and I started getting this error constantly. "Error: side assist and rear traffic alert". I guess I'll have to get a service appointment unless anyone's aware of a simple fix that can be done.
Someone on the forum said the shop found a dangling wire in front of a sensor. The shop corrected the issue and it went away. I had that error a few weeks ago on a long trip and it corrected itself. But I am making an appointment for the 30/60 check up and I am going to mention it to them.

·
2 Posts
My 1st edition reported the "Side assist and rear traffic alert are not available. No sensor view" alert several times during my 600+ mile drive from the SF Bay Area Portland OR over the July 4th weekend. Never had that error prior to my dealership/shop visit to Serramonte Volkswagen to address the recent headlight cap horizontal aim recall. Will be taking it into service dept this Friday to check it out.

·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 1st edition reported the "Side assist and rear traffic alert are not available. No sensor view" alert several times during my 600+ mile drive from the SF Bay Area Portland OR over the July 4th weekend. Never had that error prior to my dealership/shop visit to Serramonte Volkswagen to address the recent headlight cap horizontal aim recall. Will be taking it into service dept this Friday to check it out. View attachment 4316 View attachment 4317
My dealer diagnosed my issue like that to some module behind the rear bumper. But I was skeptical and am waiting until it happens again. It has not happened in the last 1700 miles. I really think it is a software issue, hopefully addressed in the next software update! I think VW rushed the ID4 into production before thoroughly testing the software.

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
98 Posts
My 1st edition reported the "Side assist and rear traffic alert are not available. No sensor view" alert several times during my 600+ mile drive from the SF Bay Area Portland OR over the July 4th weekend. Never had that error prior to my dealership/shop visit to Serramonte Volkswagen to address the recent headlight cap horizontal aim recall. Will be taking it into service dept this Friday to check it out. View attachment 4316 View attachment 4317
As previously noted, I experienced the same issue twice the same day. Once about mid-way during a 75 mile drive. The 2nd time about mid-way during the return drive. That was about a week after purchase, or 2 months ago. I've driven about 1k miles since, but all drives have been well under 75 miles. Could this error be linked to longer distance drives and/or higher interstate speeds?

·
2 Posts
Went to the dealer and my issue was a wire harness blocking the rear sensor (as another user mentioned). Service rep mentioned this was a semi common issue. Been a week since then and no issues or warnings. Here's what my service invoice stated:

WAS ADVISED TO REMOVED REAR BUMPER COVER AND INSPECT WIRING AND VIEW OF THE LANE ASSIST MODULE. IF WIRING IN PATH OF RADAR SENSOR THEN REROUTE WIRING. IF ALL IS OK THEN REPLACE MODULES. REMOVED REAR BUMPER FROM VEHICLE AND INSPECTED VEHICLE, FOUND WIRING HARNESS ON RIGHT REAR SIDE IS ROUTED DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE RADAR SENSOR ON RIGHT SIDE. RE ROUTED WIRING HARNESS ON BUMPER COVER TO BE OUT OF THE VIEW OF THE RIGHT RADAR SENSOR. THEN REINSTALLED BUMPER COVER ONTO VEHICLE. CLEARED ALL DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES. USING GFF RAN TEST PLAN AND PROGRAMMED LANE ASSIST MODULES AND CODES CLEARED AFTER PROGRAMMING. SAVED AND SENT THE GUIDED FAULT FINDING LOG ONLINE TO VOLKSWAGEN. THE SYSTEM IS NOW OPERATING AS DESIGNED.

·
Dusk Blue FE
94 Posts
I had exactly the same problem (it occurred, coincidentally, while I was on the way to the dealer for another service issue). Although they did not tell me where the problem was, the dealer's description of the fix (rerouting wiring to avoid blocking the sensor) was exactly the same. Since then, I have had one or two very brief sensor failure alerts. In both cases, the alerts went out after a short time, without even stopping the car.

·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went to the dealer and my issue was a wire harness blocking the rear sensor (as another user mentioned). Service rep mentioned this was a semi common issue. Been a week since then and no issues or warnings. Here's what my service invoice stated:

WAS ADVISED TO REMOVED REAR BUMPER COVER AND INSPECT WIRING AND VIEW OF THE LANE ASSIST MODULE. IF WIRING IN PATH OF RADAR SENSOR THEN REROUTE WIRING. IF ALL IS OK THEN REPLACE MODULES. REMOVED REAR BUMPER FROM VEHICLE AND INSPECTED VEHICLE, FOUND WIRING HARNESS ON RIGHT REAR SIDE IS ROUTED DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE RADAR SENSOR ON RIGHT SIDE. RE ROUTED WIRING HARNESS ON BUMPER COVER TO BE OUT OF THE VIEW OF THE RIGHT RADAR SENSOR. THEN REINSTALLED BUMPER COVER ONTO VEHICLE. CLEARED ALL DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES. USING GFF RAN TEST PLAN AND PROGRAMMED LANE ASSIST MODULES AND CODES CLEARED AFTER PROGRAMMING. SAVED AND SENT THE GUIDED FAULT FINDING LOG ONLINE TO VOLKSWAGEN. THE SYSTEM IS NOW OPERATING AS DESIGNED.
That is almost exactly what my dealer told me at my last visit. I have more confidence now with what they told me. I think that VW knows about this problem and have sent down a directive to the dealers to be aware of it.

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
98 Posts
Went to the dealer and my issue was a wire harness blocking the rear sensor (as another user mentioned). Service rep mentioned this was a semi common issue. Been a week since then and no issues or warnings.
As I posted earlier, I haven't had the sensor issue since May 13, or ~1k miles. But haven't had anything done to prevent it.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Recently during an 1100 mile trip the rear traffic and side traffic alerts go off, but then come back on when restarting the car. Then after about 50 miles or so they would go off again! Anyone experienced that?
I had a similar problem. Went through a car wash. Fixed it. Not sure this will fix your problem. But it worked for me

·
2 Posts
VW tech believes that the clean access sticker (California HOV lanes/toll) placement is obstructing the sensors, said they're located where the sensors are at the bumpers and suggested I temporarily remove the stickers and drive to see if the messages stay away. I suggested that I'd get consistent sensor errors if this was the case but he said that it depends on speed and angle of approach of other vehicles. He tested it in the shop and reads ok at standstills. Also checked for the wiring harness and all clear of the sensors.

Unfortunately I can't remove the stickers because they are not reusable, save me a lot on toll and I don't think it's easy to get them replaced. Here's where the stickers are placed...

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
14 Posts
I had a similar problem. Went through a car wash. Fixed it. Not sure this will fix your problem. But it worked for me
Had the exact same thing happen on a long 1000+ mile trip. Either clears on next startup or sometimes after driving another 30 mins or so. Everyone please post any VW dealer fixes that are successful!

·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have gone almost 4000 miles since I reported this issue and have not had it again. Just another of the ID4 glitches that self heals!

·
Super Moderator
478 Posts
I have gone almost 4000 miles since I reported this issue and have not had it again. Just another of the ID4 glitches that self heals!
We had this issue twice but we haven't had any issues in over a month.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts