Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
1,762 Posts
I paid around $206 for it during the October VW accessories rebate (Valenti VW). Bought along floor and trunk liners.

Reactions: Nai3t

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
My garage door opener fob (which I generally have clipped to my sun visor) is also relatively short range. It's all about the relative goodness of your garage door opener system (and mine is only "contractor grade").
Next Spring possible upgrade for me and then also the Homelink rearview mirror.
I bought from VW Oklahoma for around $228 (including tax). However, I feel there is a range problem as the garage door opener only works from a short distance (less than 10 meters). Anyone else have the same issue?

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
3,620 Posts
For less than the price of Homelink mirror you can get a Genie opener that has the Aladin app that can open the door from anywhere in the world. Multiple openers can be programmed into the app from the same or different locations. You can even program openers of friends or family that have smart Genie openers. I have several openers programmed into my app from different states and it works well.

·
58 Posts
I noticed the same range issue. Using the remote that came with the garage door opener, brand new in 2020, I can open from down the street, but with the home link mirror I have to be in the drive way to get it to open. Home link in my 2015 Jeep works from even further than the remotes that come with the garage door opener. I programmed to the third button on the mirror. I also have the app to let me open from anywhere in the world, but nothing beats the convince of a dedicated button.

Are some people getting better range with their mirror? I know sometimes they use different protocols on different buttons, in my Jeep only button 3 is compatible with old school openers.

·
"Einstein" - 2021 ID.4 AWD Pro S, Scale Silver
269 Posts
I bought from VW Oklahoma for around $228 (including tax). However, I feel there is a range problem as the garage door opener only works from a short distance (less than 10 meters). Anyone else have the same issue?
Do you have an AWD? The reason I ask is the technology used in the heated windshield also attenuates RF. I have an AWD Pro S and the HomeLink mirror - the signal is definitely weak as received by the garage/gate. My theory is that HomeLink mirrors on non AWD cars work much better.

·
Glacier White AWD Pro S Gradient
229 Posts
Do you have an AWD? The reason I ask is the technology used in the heated windshield also attenuates RF. I have an AWD Pro S and the HomeLink mirror - the signal is definitely weak as received by the garage/gate. My theory is that HomeLink mirrors on non AWD cars work much better.
I also have an AWD Pro S. I tested the homelink from the end of my driveway (parked in front of my house) and it had no problems opening the door. I haven't tested the max range yet.

·
76 Posts
I have the Pro S RWD. I am only able to operate the garage door opener from 15 feet or less.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
897 Posts
I wanted the frameless mirror, really don't care about the home link since I got enough remote fobs. But no one ever mentioned the frameless mirror vs. original. Guess it's not much of difference to be noticed?

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,149 Posts
I wanted the frameless mirror, really don't care about the home link since I got enough remote fobs. But no one ever mentioned the frameless mirror vs. original. Guess it's not much of difference to be noticed?
I agree, frameless really dresses up the car. It was one of the first things my wife pointed out on the test drive that she missed from her outgoing Volvo. So I added the Homelink mirror with absolutely no intention to use the Homelink. Funny enough, I never told her I installed it, and here we are 8 months later, and she's never said anything to indicate she's noticed it.

·
11 Posts
I just did this mod. Holy cow, was that the easiest mod I've ever done. Literally 5 minutes. In the true meaning of literally. 🤣
Hey John. Just picked up our 2023 and tried to replace the rear view mirror as per this video
. However, that very first cover is not coming off as easy as depicted in that video😢. It sounds like you have successfully been able to remove that cover? If so, what’s the trick? Thanks in advance.

·
Glacier White AWD Pro S Gradient
229 Posts
Hey John. Just picked up our 2023 and tried to replace the rear view mirror as per this video
. However, that very first cover is not coming off as easy as depicted in that video😢. It sounds like you have successfully been able to remove that cover? If so, what’s the trick? Thanks in advance.
There's really no "trick" as I recall (it's been a while). A nice plastic wedge can help get in the seam to pop it off.

·
476 Posts
...Genie opener that has the Aladin app that can open the door from anywhere in the world.
You say that as if it were a feature. Anyone who was concerned about cybersecurity would describe that as an obvious vulnerability.

Meanwhile, why would one want to use an app when a simple press on a hardware button in your car could open the garage door? Which seems simpler to operate as you pull into your driveway?

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
3,620 Posts
You say that as if it were a feature. Anyone who was concerned about cybersecurity would describe that as an obvious vulnerability.

Meanwhile, why would one want to use an app when a simple press on a hardware button in your car could open the garage door? Which seems simpler to operate as you pull into your driveway?
I think of it as a feature. You can open the door for deliverymen or workmen if you are not home. You can open the door so you can remote start the car. Controlling the door from the app just gives you more capability and you can have a button in your car too if you want it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts