Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have a recommendation for a dash cam?
What features are a must?
GPS, high resolution, memory card size, audio recording, mount, power required, physical size, ...
I like the Garmin 56 but it is $$. I've used Garmin in the past and been happy with my purchase.

·
59 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation for a dash cam?
What features are a must?
GPS, high resolution, memory card size, audio recording, mount, power required, physical size, ...
I like the Garmin 56 but it is $$. I've used Garmin in the past and been happy with my purchase.
I've been using "DDPAI" brand dash cams since before they were available in the US. They are well-built, full-featured, and best of all can be mounted behind the rear-view mirror so I can't even see it while driving. They are slightly larger than a large lipstick container and are completely hidden by the mirror if placed properly.

I belong to a car club and after seeing mine, several people asked me to buy them overseas for them. Our family currently has three "Mini3" models and they've worked flawlessly. I see that model is now on Amazon for $90.

I'd recommend eMMC storage rather than an SD card. eMMC won't fail in the heat, but prior to switching to DDPAI all of my previous dash cams with SD cards eventually had SD issues. I was rear-ended once and didn't realized the SD card had failed until I needed the footage for insurance. After that experience, I'd never buy an SD-card based model again.

Regardless of which brand you choose, ANY dash cam is better than none. I was rear-ended in a drive through once and because of the footage my insurance immediately assigned 100% fault to the other driver, even though his insurance was dragging their feet. My insurance company said that footage greatly expedited payment and also saved me from being assigned partial blame. Get a dash cam! It will pay for itself!

·
98 Posts
I've been using "DDPAI" brand dash cams since before they were available in the US. They are well-built, full-featured, and best of all can be mounted behind the rear-view mirror so I can't even see it while driving. They are slightly larger than a large lipstick container and are completely hidden by the mirror if placed properly.

I belong to a car club and after seeing mine, several people asked me to buy them overseas for them. Our family currently has three "Mini3" models and they've worked flawlessly. I see that model is now on Amazon for $90.

I'd recommend eMMC storage rather than an SD card. eMMC won't fail in the heat, but prior to switching to DDPAI all of my previous dash cams with SD cards eventually had SD issues. I was rear-ended once and didn't realized the SD card had failed until I needed the footage for insurance. After that experience, I'd never buy an SD-card based model again.

Regardless of which brand you choose, ANY dash cam is better than none. I was rear-ended in a drive through once and because of the footage my insurance immediately assigned 100% fault to the other driver, even though his insurance was dragging their feet. My insurance company said that footage greatly expedited payment and also saved me from being assigned partial blame. Get a dash cam! It will pay for itself!
That one does look nice. You mentioned getting rear-ended once, do you also mount one in the back window?

·
59 Posts
That one does look nice. You mentioned getting rear-ended once, do you also mount one in the back window?
No, I don't have a rear one but that would be a great idea if you could find a way to make it work.

In my case it was obvious that I was stopped and innocently ordering tacos when all of a sudden the car shook and the order taker said "o my god he just hit you". Even if you're rear-ended, a front-facing dash cam will still be super helpful (my camera also has speed display enabled, so you can see my speed is 0).

·
96 Posts
Has anyone tried mounting a Dash cam on the backside (facing forward) of the infotainment screen? I'm looking at the very simple Garmin Mini2. It looks like this mounting location would keep the Dash cam out of the way of any sensors near the mirror and also out of the field of vision for the driver. Wish VW had just included this feature like Tesla. Think of how grateful the insurance companies would be.

·
244 Posts
I have two VIOFO A119 V3 dash cams. I definitely recommend this model.

Video quality is excellent and the unit is relatively small.

There is also a version that includes a rear facing camera.

They cost about $120. They use super capacitors rather than batteries so they are much more heat resistant. It is equipped with a Sony 5MP Starvis sensor, includes a GPS module/mount and another mount without GPS.

I recommend a high quality 64 GB micro SD card which is good for about 5 hours of recording. It then overwrites the oldest recordings unless you save them or the unit senses an accident. I also recommend the polarizing filter for about $20.

It includes a cable, adhesive pads and some adhesive clips to manage the cable.

GPS location and vehicle speed can be recorded if desired. Internal sound can be recorded as well, if desired. There is also hard-wire kit available if you want it to run when parked but I did not do this. I just plugged the included cable into the 12V power point.

I mount mine just to the right of the rearview mirror so it is basically out of ( my) sight when driving.

There are numerous youtube video reviews of this device.

·
28 Posts
I'll second the VIOFO recommendation; I have a Viofo V129 Pro on the front and decided to mount my old V119S in the rear rather than running a wire. Since they're USB 5 volt powered you don't need to worry about getting a 12 volt supply or hardwiring unless you just want to; I managed to hide the cable fairly well in the front and run it to a USB port in the rear center console without too much difficulty.

·
2021 Pro AWD
219 Posts
As an aside, If anyone reading hardwired their dash cam into a switched fuse other than f52 (rear 12v socket), which empty fuse spot did you use? I have a multimeter but you could save me time! I want dash cam on switched power and accessory 12v always on so not going to use same spot.

I have dash cam with rear facing camera on main unit, but Id.4 shape and rear sight line is going to make this pretty difficult view for actually seeing out rear window

1 - 8 of 8 Posts