Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
2021 VW ID4 1st Edition (black) // 2003 VW Jetta TDI // 2004 VW R32 // 2019 VW Tiguan SEL R-Line
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been criticisms of VWs approach to not having one pedal driving capability as the default for the ID.4 in some early reviews. It seems that the default "D" mode may be far more complex and far smarter than the initial reviewers here in the US have been informed based on the press release from VW linked below. I read it as regen behavior being adjusted on the fly based on location, traffic patterns and driving mode selected (eg Sport)

Brake or coast? The ID.4’s Intelligent Energy Recuperation Concept

·
45 Posts
I think this is really cool! It always seemed to me that being able to coast should result in better efficiency, so it is nice to see that VW thinks that may be the case as well.

·
217 Posts
Interesting read. One question regarding the "predictive eco assist" is whether a destination has to have been activated for it to work, or if it's simply "reading the map". Hope it's the latter. I got used to the one-pedal driving with my i3, but my PHEV's are not capable of this. As an engineer, I completely agree with the notion of kinetic energy recovery always being subject to losses and that sometimes a "coast on pedal lift-off" is better than having the car actually slow down. Use of the nav map and sensors to make a judgement about this seems like a smart thing to do. I have always considered the one-pedal driving to be an "EV gimmick" for conversation. Allowing logic from sensor data to inform kinetic energy recovery is another example of "out of the box" thinking from VW. It's like the drum rear brakes--initially off putting, but after one thinks about it, seems to be a sensible decision.

·
95 Posts
The regen based on traffic is not something new as Kia and Hyundai EVs have had distance based "Auto Regen" available for a while now. It's unfortunate VW doesn't believe in giving the option of true one pedal driving because it means having to use the brake pedal to come to a stop when there is no traffic in front of you. Kia, Hyundai, BMW, GM, Tesla, and Nissan all offer one pedal driving so VW should have it too.

·
680 Posts
Attempt to show this occurring in an ID.3
There is a good deal more going on with Regen Braking than anybody thought there was. The more I learn about how it is setup, the more I like it.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
687 Posts
I really like VW’s concept too. Seems more natural and relaxed than one pedal driving. It goes hand in hand with the more relaxed but precise steering compared to, say, a Tesla.

My friend’s Tesla M3 impressed me least when speed control was jerky in dense traffic. Granted, he had it only for a few weeks by then, but still.

The ID cars are also among the very few EVs that have a very precise and unnoticeable mix of / transition between regenerative and friction braking. Every review mentions this. I really appreciate that as well.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
Attempt to show this occurring in an ID.3
I am quite impressed by this, and I can't recall any other EV's having this level of "automated" region braking behavior. Can't wait to experience this in-person!

·
27 Posts
Is it so that keeping your foot slightly on the go pedal such that the vehicle is neither using power or regenerating is the same as coasting? If that is the case, then slowing down by lifting your foot up further should result in no difference in efficiency compared to engaging regeneration with the brake pedal.

·
217 Posts
What you are describing is "freewheeling" and only occurs when all power is removed from the motor. This is what happens in "D". If you have engaged "B" you will need to add power with the pedal to keep moving as in coasting. Very little power, though; and I suspect we will find that it's very difficult to find that whisper of pedal to replicate coasting. Having no experience with the ID.4, but with experience with the one-pedal driving in an I3 and what is probably very similar to "B" in my BMW PHEV; I expect to use "B" in the city and "D" on the highway.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
687 Posts
Having no experience with the ID.4, but with experience with the one-pedal driving in an I3 and what is probably very similar to "B" in my BMW PHEV; I expect to use "B" in the city and "D" on the highway.
Having no experience either way, I still expect the same or substantially similar choices on my part. The sheer ease of not having to keep the go pedal at an exact spot, when cruise control is not more useful for some reason, is an exhilarating outlook for me.

·
27 Posts
I'm glad I asked. Ted, so are you saying that coasting in D is different than B with a little bit of foot? Does the motor disengage somehow? I don't find keeping the go pedal in that exact coasting position difficult in my wife's Tesla (max Regen mode). Although I understand that some people do, so that is why it would be nice to have a choice.

·
217 Posts
I "think" it's different, because in "D" the motor will freewheel and no power to the motor--car coasts with only a slight decrease in speed. In "B" one will need a little pedal to replicate a freewheeling coast down. Any time power is applied, there are inefficiencies which will result in greater energy lost compared to a freewheel coast with a slight need for more energy to get back to the "pre-coast" speed. Small, yes; but it apparently adds up if VW's assertion that "D" is the more efficient use. I'm not so sure that this will be the case in city traffic unless VW's claim that their predictive model of when to coast v. when to de-cellerate using GPS data in "D" mode really works.

·
170 Posts
I kind of do ... I tried one pedal driving in various models and there is a fear factor to it at first. Yes, I can get used to it, but why? It seems like it was just to differentiate the model / brand first and now everyone wants it just because. For folks moving from ICE cars, two pedal driving is more natural and I applaud VW for sticking with it.

Also, for those fans of one pedal driving, since it is all electronics and computers anyway these days, I do not see a big problem with VW adding a single-pedal mode where you do not touch the other one. All it takes is proper software control for accelerator and be done. Best of both worlds.

·
217 Posts
Having had one-pedal and "B" mode, I think that one-pedal is an EV gimmick that will go away in time. I first encountered it test-driving a Model S shortly after introduction and it was a differentiator and a skill one needed to learn. My 2014 BMW i3 had it and it was kinda like "heel and toe" downshifting in a manual. Before synchromesh in transmissions, one needed to double-clutch to downshift and heel and toe became a necessary skill set. Then it became a way for the cognoscenti to differentiate themselves from lesser-skilled drivers, despite it being unnecessary. I believe one-pedal driving will go the same way if VW's use of predictive GPS-based regenerative braking works as described. I don't miss it in my PHEV's that work like "B" in the ID.4.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
Having had one-pedal and "B" mode, I think that one-pedal is an EV gimmick that will go away in time. I first encountered it test-driving a Model S shortly after introduction and it was a differentiator and a skill one needed to learn. My 2014 BMW i3 had it and it was kinda like "heel and toe" downshifting in a manual. Before synchromesh in transmissions, one needed to double-clutch to downshift and heel and toe became a necessary skill set. Then it became a way for the cognoscenti to differentiate themselves from lesser-skilled drivers, despite it being unnecessary. I believe one-pedal driving will go the same way if VW's use of predictive GPS-based regenerative braking works as described. I don't miss it in my PHEV's that work like "B" in the ID.4.
One pedal driving is not comparable to heal/toe shifting. Heel/toe shifting was replaced by better technology, as were carburetors, cassette players, retractable antennas and drum brakes (oops). While you may find it a gimmick, I find it makes my driving more relaxing. I don't think it is for everyone, but just like lane keeping technology or radar cruise control, they are features you can choose to use or ignore.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts