Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
257 Posts
Tell me about auto hold. How does it work? Where did you learn about it? I ask because several early testers have complained about not being able to turn creep off.
"Auto Hold" is a feature they added with the latest Rev of software that came out in December. There are several video's of the newest rev of software showing this option, one makes a comment on how well it works.

·
171 Posts
Tell me about auto hold. How does it work? Where did you learn about it? I ask because several early testers have complained about not being able to turn creep off.
There's this thread...

I didn't see the video so not sure how it works on the ID.3. Different cars use different methods but in essence, once the car is stopped, the car will automatically hold the brakes until you press on the accelerator. Once brake hold is activated, you can let go of the brake and the car will stay put.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
266 Posts
I chuckle every time I view this insightful but ill worded graphic. "Accelerator" would have been far better than "Gas." 🤪

ID.4 Recuperative Braking Schematic.png

·
3 Posts
When EVs are rated for range, is there any assumption of regeneration? I wouldn't expect it to be particularly significant, and the difference would be vary between highway and city driving...kind of the opposite of highway and city ratings for ICE efficiency. I've been curious if/how it's factored in.

·
35 Posts
When EVs are rated for range, is there any assumption of regeneration? I wouldn't expect it to be particularly significant, and the difference would be vary between highway and city driving...kind of the opposite of highway and city ratings for ICE efficiency. I've been curious if/how it's factored in.
Yes, regeneration is included, one reason city range is generally higher than highway range.

·
156 Posts
Made a discovery recently while in a 4-hr line for vaccine. My BMW 530e PHEV has "creep" built in and also selectable "brake hold" where the brakes will self-activate on a complete stop so that you do not need to keep your foot on the brake when stopped. I understand this will be selectable on the ID.4, as well. I started out in that line of cars with brake hold activated and after a while it became a pain in the neck having to tap the "play" pedal every time a car moved up one spot. I also suspect it was using more battery energy to keep the brakes activated and for the initial "jump" in acceleration. After a while, I wised up and turned brake hold off and allowed the car to creep for those one space move ups. That 4-hr odyssey used about 3 KWH of battery capacity (all climate conditioning "off"). An ICE would have been running the whole time.

·
171 Posts
Made a discovery recently while in a 4-hr line for vaccine. My BMW 530e PHEV has "creep" built in and also selectable "brake hold" where the brakes will self-activate on a complete stop so that you do not need to keep your foot on the brake when stopped. I understand this will be selectable on the ID.4, as well. I started out in that line of cars with brake hold activated and after a while it became a pain in the neck having to tap the "play" pedal every time a car moved up one spot. I also suspect it was using more battery energy to keep the brakes activated and for the initial "jump" in acceleration. After a while, I wised up and turned brake hold off and allowed the car to creep for those one space move ups. That 4-hr odyssey used about 3 KWH of battery capacity (all climate conditioning "off"). An ICE would have been running the whole time.
It's personal preference so whatever you prefer, go with it. As far as battery, having the car hold the brake or your foot hold the brake will use the same amount of minimal energy (you holding the brake will use more of your own calories, but minimal as well). Pressing the accelerator to move forward or letting the car creep forward on its own (assuming same rate of acceleration) will use the same amount of energy. If you are constantly letting go of the brake and creeping a few inches multiple times at each stop light, that will use more energy than just waiting until the light turns green.

·
156 Posts
Without brake hold activated in my BMW, when I press on the brake; the hydraulic system takes over and line lock solenoid does not activate, as it would if I had brake hold "on" . If "hold" is activated, I need to kick start the forward motion which I "think" uses a little more energy than the creep mode. But, I agree that this is in the noise level for the car. It was not in the noise level for me with 4 hours of one car jerks forward.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts