Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

Someone on the iD.4 sub-reddit reported a loud noise coming from the glass roof on their First Edition in frigid temperatures, particularly when hitting bumps and hard turns. It seems they weren't the only one to have the issue. They posted a video, and it's pretty loud and disturbing. Are other people living in cold areas experiencing this?

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st ed
75 Posts
Greetings all,

Someone on the iD.4 sub-reddit reported a loud noise coming from the glass roof on their First Edition in frigid temperatures, particularly when hitting bumps and hard turns. It seems they weren't the only one to have the issue. They posted a video, and it's pretty loud and disturbing. Are other people living in cold areas experiencing this?
Same thing on my 1st Edition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
335 Posts
I have been getting this "squeaking" in the roof curtain since August on my 1stEd. It's not in the glass or the frame. I think it is the channel the curtain runs in. Plastic on Plastic. Really bad when the car racks left to right or right to left (either way). It doesn't matter if the curtain is open or closed. I've considered experimenting with some appropriate lube to make it go away.

·
Super Moderator
1,387 Posts
Have not noticed this on my FE

·
ID.4 Pro
8 Posts
I had it and took it in to the VW workshop, they said it’s a known issue and they had instructions to do some treatment and glue it in 8 different spots.

just take it in and they’ll sort it, I’d imagine it’s no different in the US.

·
ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
335 Posts
I had it and took it in to the VW workshop, they said it’s a known issue and they had instructions to do some treatment and glue it in 8 different spots.

just take it in and they’ll sort it, I’d imagine it’s no different in the US.
If you can dig up your paperwork, it should list the specific VW service bulletin code. If you could scan it & upload it, I think we'd be able to push the service folks in the correct direction.

·
6 Posts
My 1st edition also has this issue and it would be great if we knew the service bulletin code. My dealer is fairly useless and that would help me actually get it fixed

·
ID.4 Pro
8 Posts
Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply. As an update here they followed the instructions but the creaking didn’t go away when they tested it.

they have now contacted VW headquarters or similar for further instructions, and told me they may need to take the whole thing off and re-install it, they’d be in touch when they hear back.

haven’t got paperwork so will update once it’s done and received.

·
Blue ID.4 FE, OR
60 Posts
I too have the creaking glass roof. I told my dealership about it and the response was 'yeah, mine squeaks too' from a few years old ICE VW. So, here, they don't seem to care. I have noticed that the creaking stops in the rain. Not a good sign.

·
1,023 Posts
Happens a lot in Europe too, and is mainly caused by the rubber around the glass hardening due to the cold. Here they just add some kind of silicone spray between the rubber and the glass and that fixes it for another year or so.

·
16 Posts
I have noticed this as well. I go in for 10,000 mile checkup soon, I doubt the dealer will do anything. It seems that pretty cold is required, maybe below 28F.

·
8 Posts
I take my car in on Dec. 18th for this same reason. It's a '21 Pro S with less than 2k miles on it. I've noticed as we enter cooler months the creaking from the roof occurs any time body flex occurs (bumps, inclines, turning, etc.). I'll report back on what they tell me/do to the vehicle. In the meantime, anyone sharing on additional experiences I might be able to use to point them in the right direction would be appreciated. ID.4s are a low volume car in this part of the world, so I doubt they have much experience working with them.

·
233 Posts
Sunroofs should be optional on Audis and VWs.

·
3 Posts
Same here. I took to the service 2 times and next week will be three. I sent them a video and explained dozens times but still couldn't fix it. After 4th attempt if they fail to fix it, I'll file a lawsuit against dealer and VW. We will see what's gonna happen

·
VW ID 4 First edition
7 Posts
Greetings all,

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
2,126 Posts
So is there a service bulletin on this?

My wife mentioned it, I haven't heard it, I took it in today (in the rain) for the recall items and of course they couldn't duplicate it.

I'll need to wait for a cool dry day to check it out for myself.

·
3 Posts
So is there a service bulletin on this?

My wife mentioned it, I haven't heard it, I took it in today (in the rain) for the recall items and of course they couldn't duplicate it.

I'll need to wait for a cool dry day to check it out for myself.
No there is nothing. However, i found some solutions on YouTube and will try this week. I'll share details if it works

1 - 20 of 55 Posts