Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

2021 1st
Thanks for finding and posting that.

Part #10 (sunroof drain hose) will be the culprit. Assuming the end of the tube closest to the ground is the end with the #10 arrow pointing at it, that's the portion that has proven problematic in the past that needs to be monitored and cleaned.

2021 1st
crap I want a trade with a Pro now 馃ぎ
Non-pano roofs have a lot of benefits--reduced weight, lower center mass, and less heat. That said, they're beautiful! If one does choose a pano, I consider the non-retractable design of the ID4 superior over the retractable ones.

To be clear on the issue: VW places anti-spider plugs into the ends of the hoses. Those plugs clog with debris and back up. The "fix" is either to monitor and clean them periodically...or simply remove the plugs altogether. I would still monitor the drain hoses without the plugs but the likelihood of them clogging is less.

Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
Thanks for finding and posting that.

Part #10 (sunroof drain hose) will be the culprit. Assuming the end of the tube closest to the ground is the end with the #10 arrow pointing at it, that's the portion that has proven problematic in the past that needs to be monitored and cleaned.
We need to investigate check exactly where those hoses are, or maybe described in erwin manuals?
I assume there are two hoses for left/right side?

If there are drains, this mean the sunroof is not adhered to the body like a windshield but attached with some fastener system like a regular opening sunroof. This would explain the creaks. This also means there is a potential for leaks. Perhaps the body is not rigid enough to seal the sunroof to the body with adhesives?

To me, this means the ID.4 has no advantage over the Audi Q4 regarding potential leaks for the higher trim models. Too bad.

The sunroof should be optional on all trims or at least have the option to delete it when ordering.

Reporting back on my creaking issue with the pano roof in cold weather...

I took the advice of someone on this forum and purchased this rubber seal conditioner. Because the creaking sound would virtually disappear when it was raining (which is what happened on the day I scheduled to have a VW tech look at it), I suspected the sound could be addressed from the exterior. I was also very skeptical of what someone else here suggested regarding spraying the lubricant from inside the cabin. Not only does it have a slight smell, but the idea of it leaking down on the headliner seemed too risky.

The fact that the sound stopped during rain suggested water, even with its high molecular polarity, could penetrate the narrow gap between the seal and the painted roof structure. If water could do this so could a lubricant molecule that generally has far less polarity and greater ability to work its way into tight spots. I first sprayed the lubricant into a small container to let the foam subside. I then used a small plastic pipet to apply a stream of the lubricant directly on the junction between the seal and the roof panel. This was left overnight for some of it to work its way into the gap and for the rest to dry. This morning, with sub-freezing temperatures, my drive to work was completely free of creaks.

Now the question is to see how long it lasts until I need to apply it again. Because of the ease of application and the fact that once dried all traces of its application are gone, I won't mind reapplying periodically.

Thank you for all who contributed to figuring this out. I hope this helps someone else.

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
Hmm, yes - anyone have a photo of where the hose exits close to the ground (so I could monitor/clean the thing)? I guess I could pour a little water myself just to see if I can find it myself.

Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
So it does seem to drain behind the wheel wells on all 4 corners of glass roof. The rear ones definitely by drain hoses, the front ones I'm still not sure if drain hoses or just along exterior of the windshield or body (exterior water channels). I am hoping the front ones are external water channels so less drain hoses to worry about. To service the rear drain hoses probably need to remove / unscrew rear wheel liners.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive lighting

ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
From above, or from inside?
Sigh...

You wrote that "you suspected," but you didn't mention removing the exterior weatherstrip, which I suspect isn't the main seal.

... so I am simply attempting to clarify.

Thank you. 馃檮

Sigh...

You wrote that "you suspected," but you didn't mention removing the exterior weatherstrip, which I suspect isn't the main seal.

... so I am simply attempting to clarify.

Thank you. 馃檮
Oh, I see what you were thinking. No, nothing was removed. What I did was very minimal and non-invasive. Here's a short video of what I did.

ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
Oh, I see what you were thinking. No, nothing was removed. What I did was very minimal and non-invasive. Here's a short video of what I did.
That video is great, helps immensely. My assumption all along has been the outward seal is only weather-stripping, and that the main seal touches the underside face of the glass (I had actually assumed it was windshield-style caulking type adhesive).

My creaking is back, to a lesser extent, post-VW service. I'll give this a shot and hope for the outcome the rest of you are having.

Although this poses a new question: does the noise come from the rubber-steel interface, or the glass-rubber as I had assumed? Your area of application suggests the former.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts